The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Sutter on PP1

Bur14Kes17

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Why are the Sedins' on PP1?

They aren't good enough to carry Sutter.

I'd have to believe there is pressure up from "upstairs" to OVERPLAY Sutter (eg., to justify the 'foundational' contract a career high 40 point player received).  Willie can't be that dumb.

3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

The eternal question.

Our 2nd unit should really be the first. I know they are learning but I feel like both PP units should strictly be the kids. They actually shoot the puck, Stech in particular. How many times have we heard "…and Henrik passes instead of shooting" or seen him try to center the puck to Daniel just to have it blocked and turned over. Meanwhile Troy is at the point by himself screaming for a feed. I am usually pretty positive about the team and optimistic but our PP today left me so disgusted.

Last night was aweful also.

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Our powerplay sucks because we have less talent then the top teams. We could disect the 80s canucks and try and figure out why this guy or that guy wasnt on the powerplay , but in the end , what does it really matter ?

I mean, you're not wrong but putting a bottom six checking forward as your trigger man on your top unit makes little to no sense.

If anything we should be loading up our top unit and playing them for 1:30 instead of half the PP time.

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I mean, you're not wrong but putting a bottom six checking forward as your trigger man on your top unit makes little to no sense.

If anything we should be loading up our top unit and playing them for 1:30 instead of half the PP time.

The PP is all the 1st unit - often the Sedins come off with less than 40 seconds to go.  Whether they have the right players on the unit that's something else but as for the split it's heavily skewed towards the first unit.  Maybe using the Wild's approach where Boudreau says staying more than 1min is selfish would force them to play with more urgency to convert instead of the constant passing.  

After seeing how Washington does their PP's, the Canucks need to restructure their PP strategies, no more pass pass pass pass pass, NYR used to do that and fans started to scream "SHOOT" and even brought signs saying "SHOOT" on them when they got a PP.

15 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I cannot even begin to understand why Brandon Sutter is on the first unit power play and I'm getting exhausted watching it. I can't count the number of times he's disrupted the Sedins cycle, he doesn't have a quick trigger to shoot the puck, and he's not known to battle for greats goals in the crease. Willie has absolutely refused to use Hansen on the power play. Lord knows why because remember last year right at the end of the season when Hansen got onto a power play one game and score? Anyone remember this? Willie certainly doesn't.

The first unit started in Washington with Sedins Erickson Sutter and Stetcher. It wasn't working, so what does Willie do? He takes Erickson off and puts another defensemen on it... Willies roster deployment choices are not getting the best out of this team and I'm pretty sure Benning has gotten into his ear in the past but the problem has just continued.

imo our power play units should be

PP1

Sedins Hansen Erickson Stetcher

PP2

Horvat Sutter Baertschi Burrows Hutton - in fact I don't particularly care so long as Horvat Baertschi and Hutton are there. 

End rant.

you complain about Sutter shooting skills so you replace him with No Hands Hansen. WTF

Sutter is Hansen just with better hands. 

news flash our PP has sucked for years now and it has more to do with its predictability. 

15 hours ago, J-23 said:

Why was Biega on the powerplay. 

Put someone like Tyrankim on it, or even Gudbranson. 

Tryamkim is way too slow unfortunately... and guddy, well he thinks he has a good shot and tries to use it constantly but his release is way too slow to be dangerous 

The Sedins and the coach are bums.Gotta wait to get rid of the Sedins but this coach doesn't have a no trade clause.Even when the Devils were bums they could still win more games than the Canucks are because they had the right system for their talent level and strong goalies.Also Sutter needs a demotion.

Sedin-Horvat-Sedin

Stecher-Hutton

One timers available for the d. Stecher can be in the old Sami Salo spot and Hank can set him up all day like he used to with Salo....

Horvat is great at tipping and was used quite a bit in this role in jrs....

Why this hasn't been tried yet? Who knows...

Still boggles my mind that Virtanen wasn't used on the left side on the power play when he was up. He loves sniping from that side and scored once or twice from there when he did get a chance on the pp....

like ive said many times, the deployment of our players are terrible most of the time.

and Baertschi being scratched? How longs it going to take for them to realize he plays a north/south game and isn't suited for the cycle game. Play him with some players who complement his style and watch him put up points... Hopefully they stick Rodin with him once he's back.

This team is so frustrating to watch.

On 12/12/2016 at 10:33 PM, cuporbust said:

News flash ...it pretty much is already 

Well it can get worse. And the point is that more so, it will not get better as long as he would be on it. Which was more so what I meant, but to be honest, I worded it poorly.

Archived