The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Getting the future 1st line centre

18 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

This guy was a steal this wouldn't go through. Its like them offering us Johnson 2nd and Mitchell for Boeser.

Their losing streak seams to be coinciding with Johnson being injured. He was holding an otherwise porous D group together. 

If they were smart they would be holding on till he got back.  And, unfortunately in a long term outlook, looking to add young D in that 21-26 age bracket.  Islanders, and the Ducks, who each have decent young guys they will loose in expansion, could be good partners? Then draft a top D this summer.

That would be smarter than trading Jost or Duchesne for a solution.  

8 hours ago, ABNuck said:

For sure...my heart sank when PLD was drafted ahead of us. But then again Logan Brown? Maybe JB sees something in BoHo that we haven't seen yet and he's the plan?

We'll never know for sure if Benning wanted Dubois he certainly wouldn't say now.  Most people had him at 4 and Canuck fans thought that Edmonton would take the best D available, the consensus 5, Juolevi.  Damn Blue Jackets.  But really, taking a very good defender where they did will pay dividends in the future.

Expecting a top 5 pick again next draft and Benning will take the best centre available.

On 12/25/2016 at 0:20 AM, ghjffbali said:

Top-4 RH shots have a lot of value. The Canucks traded McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson alone and the Oil swapped a former 1st overall pick in Hall for a guy like Larsson, who is similar to Johnson and yet somehow Johnson and a 2nd don't get any of those unproven players? And Scherbak is not even in the same tier as Sergachev, he is very much in line with a guy like McCann who the Canucks had to ADD to in order to get a fringe top-4 guy. The Sergachev move won't happen because the Habs already have Weber and Petry and they need a guy like Serg in the future to replace an aging Markov.

Send them Tanev and Joulevi

That gets the deal done

No kidding we are dying for first line talent

I have been saying this for 3 years, but everyone said " No in Benning we trust"

I called Virtanen and Joelevi as wasted draft picks and incompetent management, but everyone wants to defend those picks....well they did, time is beginning to show exact;y what I predicted 3 years ago

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

No kidding we are dying for first line talent

I have been saying this for 3 years, but everyone said " No in Benning we trust"

I called Virtanen and Joelevi as wasted draft picks and incompetent management, but everyone wants to defend those picks....well they did, time is beginning to show exact;y what I predicted 3 years ago

I agree.  JB's misses with those two high picks has stalled any hopes of a rebuild.  We will clearly draft high again this year, and hopefully next too.  JB CANNOT afford to miss on those two, or he gets fired.

On December 25, 2016 at 1:12 PM, ABNuck said:

Window is closed...we missed it. We don't have a 1st line C now so what makes you think we can wait?

Sad reality is...we'll have to...or something huge needs to be done.

This is the biggest hole we have in our organization right now...the 2 first line slots taken by the 2 second line Sedins. We have BoHo who is a legit 2nd line C and a 2B candidate in Baer for 2nd line LW. Problem is we also have 14mil in salaries that can fill that position as well. So we have our 2nd line well covered (Sedins, BoHo, Baer, Eriksson, Hansen, Burrows, Virt, Boesser etc etc). We need a first line...NOW. But we're cap strapped for the next 1-1/2 years. If only a deal could be made to bring in legit 1st liners now (ie/ I heard somewhere that Landy and Duch are available? JK...that topic has been beat to death). Until we burn off that 14mil we're stuck.

BoHo's line is legitimately one of the top 2nd lines in the NHL (I'd put them somewhere around 4th to 7th best overall) and I'm glad to see that line step up and assume the 1st line duties...but the reality is...they are in over their head. They are good, but as 1st liners they are facing the league's top shutdown C-men, D-men or opposite some of the most dynamic 1st liners (which keeps them back on their heels). On a contender (with a legit 1st line) they would form an incredible back half of a one-two punch...but as stated above...we only have a two-two punch right now.

A deal for a Jost type player is a pretty good idea...problem is he's a ways off from being a legit 1st liner and therefore wouldn't be a huge asset increase over Henrik (for the next season and a half anyways). I still feel our best move is to somehow trade the Sedins for the immediate help, but we all know the problems associated with that (again it has been beaten to death on here...management loyalty, NMC's, 14mil, age, speed, other assets would need to be added, etc etc etc).

Bottom line is...we're in a bit of a pickle...and I think we'll have to ride out the storm as we lack both the cap space and the trade-able assets to secure some help now and in the future (again we have a valuable 1st round pick next June...but we lack the cap space to turn that into something now)...it's gonna be a rough year and a half...but unless something is done to cure the problem 18 months from now, we could be rebuilding for the next 5 years.

The idea is in the right mindset (pickup our future 1C while still on an ELC) but who would trade us that now? Possibly a team right on the cusp of contention (but they won't want our 2017 1st...they would want a roster player to contribute now...which could set our own rebuild backwards)...possibly a team that is rebuilding and is deep at C (BUF, COL)? It's a tough spot to be in for sure.

Why don't we just pick up a future top center in the draft this year. We are tracking to be top 5 and there are 4-5 great centers in this years draft. Nico will be better than Jost, Middelstad looks good

a there is this Patrick guy.  

There is no tonic that can fix this season, good thing that there is next season. 

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Why don't we just pick up a future top center in the draft this year. We are tracking to be top 5 and there are 4-5 great centers in this years draft. Nico will be better than Jost, Middelstad looks good

a there is this Patrick guy.  

There is no tonic that can fix this season, good thing that there is next season. 

I agree that the draft is something rebuilding teams' fans have to look forward to.  Now if JB will please trade some of our older guys for extra picks then we can enjoy the draft too:)

On 12/25/2016 at 0:41 PM, GoBoGo53 said:

Why would the Avs do this?

Exactly.

The only way you get an unproven, unsigned, top 10 from a strong draft year is- to overpay. They'd only do it if they were robbing us blind.

I don't really see us in a position of strength in the trade market until a contender loses a Dman and needs a vet like Tanev, or a somewhat reliable depth D in Spisa.

You don't call a struggling, reletively young team about their prize pick from last year.

What would JB demand for Joulovi? I hope he'd demand the moon, a pair of really nice socks + a 2nd. 

I really like Jost since well before the draft. If he can be had then I would applaud trading another prospect to get him.

Albeit, there are plenty of centre available in the top 10 of the draft this year so the Canucks will end up with a very good player that way and maybe they can acquire other picks as well if they can ever get off this "we owe it to the Sedins" rubbage.

Its not Jost we want its Barzal, By far and away best player on team Canada. I would seriously consider turning over the rest of the core with the islanders, they have their legit superstar in Tavares and they need to win now. If turning a 1st round pick in 2017, Barzal and Lee for the Sedins and we retain half the salary, they might pull the trigger or at least consider it.

Wait until the draft. Let their fire sale continue. 

TO COL: Tanev + Virtanen + 1st round pick + 3rd round pick + Gaunce

TO VAN: 1st round pick + Landeskog

Colorado get their top right handed defenceman (they desperately need righties, Tanev still has years to give and the Canucks have Stecher, Gudbranson and hopefully Subban on the right now).

Canucks replace Virtanen (with the help of Gaunce + picks) with Landeskog. Colorado take a gamble because he may be better in the future, and for that gamble they get extra value.

We upgrade our 1st rounder (likely to be 4th-6th overall) to a first or second overall pick.

DRAFT: Take Hirschier with the Colorado pick.

For now Landeskog plays with the Sedins.

In the future, we have some scary good scorers (Landeskog, Boeser), some good playmakers (Hirshier, Baertschi), some good two-way forwards (Horvat, Sutter, Granlund).

On 2016-12-25 at 7:54 PM, Crabcakes said:

We'll never know for sure if Benning wanted Dubois he certainly wouldn't say now.  Most people had him at 4 and Canuck fans thought that Edmonton would take the best D available, the consensus 5, Juolevi.  Damn Blue Jackets.  But really, taking a very good defender where they did will pay dividends in the future.

Expecting a top 5 pick again next draft and Benning will take the best centre available.

I think Edmonton wanted Sergachev not Juolevi until Poolparty dropped in their lap.

Archived