The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sbisa or gudbranson

orcasgonewild

4 hours ago, mll said:

It's minimum 9Ds + 14Fs + 3Gs = 26 players and they need to select one from each team.  IE they are free to select the position they want for the remaining 4 players.

Wow... so up to 13 D could be selected.

Taking a top 4 D from almost half the teams in the league... How about that for cornering the market on a commodity.

That would be a VERY interesting strategy to take.  #4 D are worth quite a bit on the trade market... that value would be increased if you robbed 13 teams of one of their top 4 guys in one fell swoop.  I think I read that you can't trade a player back to the team you selected him from... but can otherwise trade players as per normal.

Keep 6 of them and pick up a ton of assets for the other 7 in trades.  You could probably get some top 6 forwards in return (which you will have basically none of), some blue chip prospects to stock your farm team, and some 2nd round picks.  You still end up with really solid D and solid goaltending right off the bat.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Wow... so up to 13 D could be selected.

Taking a top 4 D from almost half the teams in the league... How about that for cornering the market on a commodity.

But the salary value of their 30 picks can't exceed the 16/17 salary cap,  so it is unlikely that they can afford 13 D at average $3 - 4 million each and still have competitive forwards

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But the salary value of their 30 picks can't exceed the 16/17 salary cap,  so it is unlikely that they can afford 13 D at average $3 - 4 million each and still have competitive forwards

That is ir.. they aren't going to get decent forwards in any case.

They will have a team full of Baertschis, Granlunds, and Jansens.  They just would avoid taking on the few overpaid contracts that are left exposed.

Approx.  

39-43 million on D (13 at 3+ million each)

24-28million on forwards (14 at a little under 2 million each)

7-9 million on goal

There are a ton of 3rd line forwards in the 1.5-2.0 range.

Trade away two of those 3-3.5 million D for a 6-7 million top six forward.  Think of a team like Edmonton who would probably do that deal in a heartbeat.

I don't know any other way Vegas gets to find players for two top lines.  They will have nothing else of value to trade.  Teams don't care about bottom six forwards now, every team has young cheap

guys to slot into those spots  or can find cheap veterans. ... no need to trade much in assets for them.  

Otherwise Vegas will have to take some albatross contracts that may be left exposed.

I don't think this has been addressed but the salary cap will have an affect on who we protect, who we expose and who we trade. 

For example, we cannot keep all of Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson and Sbisa. The reason why is if you add up their combined salaries we'd be looking at around $17.5M. Throw in Hutton and we are over $20M. Then Tryamkin has to be renewed this summer. He may want $1.5-2M. So you are looking at $22M for our top 6 defencemen. Then the other problem is you have Stecher who will certainly be in the top 4 mix. So that's 7 D that are in the mix for 6 spots. So unless you want Stecher in the press box or you are sitting a guy making $2M+ keeping all 7 D isn't gonna fly. 

At this point Sbisa has better numbers and stats than anyone else. I don't think you can expose him. He skates well, is physical and is still young for a defenceman. I think he hasn't even reached his prime yet. Same with Gudbranson. Tryamkin and Stecher are gonna be studs. And Edler provides that veteran experience we need as the other guys are all 27 or under. Hutton is not draft eligible so trading him still doesn't solve the problem of who to leave exposed. 

At the end of the day it always comes back to trading Tanev. You just can't lose Sbisa for nothing especially when he is playing at such a high level. Tanev plus a pick or prospect should land us a young top 6 forward. I believe that is the best route to take and I hope JB follows that plan. 

9 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

you may not understand the finer points of hockey,

go sign up for rec league and soon you will understand a few things about what D man is and isn't supposed to do

Once you understand the defensman's role, and know what Gudbransson is supposed to be doing you will notice that he is really not very good at doing it.

It isn't subjective, it's not intangible, it's not a matter of opinion, as a defensemen Gudbransson is a liability on the ice.

Sbisa and it isn't even close.

Gudbransson probably shouldn't be in the NHL

can u run my beer league team. u seem quite qualified actually. like really really qualified.

8 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I don't think this has been addressed but the salary cap will have an affect on who we protect, who we expose and who we trade. 

For example, we cannot keep all of Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson and Sbisa. The reason why is if you add up their combined salaries we'd be looking at around $17.5M. Throw in Hutton and we are over $20M. Then Tryamkin has to be renewed this summer. He may want $1.5-2M. So you are looking at $22M for our top 6 defencemen. Then the other problem is you have Stecher who will certainly be in the top 4 mix. So that's 7 D that are in the mix for 6 spots. So unless you want Stecher in the press box or you are sitting a guy making $2M+ keeping all 7 D isn't gonna fly. 

At this point Sbisa has better numbers and stats than anyone else. I don't think you can expose him. He skates well, is physical and is still young for a defenceman. I think he hasn't even reached his prime yet. Same with Gudbranson. Tryamkin and Stecher are gonna be studs. And Edler provides that veteran experience we need as the other guys are all 27 or under. Hutton is not draft eligible so trading him still doesn't solve the problem of who to leave exposed. 

At the end of the day it always comes back to trading Tanev. You just can't lose Sbisa for nothing especially when he is playing at such a high level. Tanev plus a pick or prospect should land us a young top 6 forward. I believe that is the best route to take and I hope JB follows that plan. 

I agree. Good post.

The only fly in the ointment is Guddy for me. I can't get a bead on him. By that I mean I can't really work out what he is good at other than maybe fighting. 

He didn't look too good in a defensive role and he sure isn't an attacking or puck carrying D. 

However, nagging away at me is the fact he is young, hasn't had much time to settle in and maybe his young line mates were putting him under pressure. I understand he will likely be looking for quite an increase in his next contract. If that is so he may not be that much of an attractive proposition to Vegas.

We need to keep Sbisa. He is now turning into the defender JB promised us he would and he will be a mainstay for us in the future given he is comparatively young.

Tanev imo hasn't even reached his ceiling yet, he makes a hell of a difference to our D and he could mentor our young D, like Juolevi for years. The only downside I see in him is he takes too much punishment - he seems fair game for any forward to hit without consequences - that may lead to more injuries down the line. It's hard, after the Oiler game not to think that D are the ones to take us forward and that Guddy may be surplus to requirements.

I also think he (CT) is one of these guys who would rather stick with one club - i.e. the Canucks and that may serve our cap in the future.

I'm glad I'm not TL and JB. No matter what they decide, some fans will say they made the wrong decision.

On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 4:34 AM, linden17 said:

gudbranson? thats the key. we cant lose this guy. and juolevi is atleast one or two years away.

Gosh we just won 3 in a row against wicked awesome teams without that big puss Gudbranson. Tryamkin is doing a stellar job in his stead and at only a fraction of cost and only getting better. To resign Tryamkin might cost us $2 mil and I'm ok with that. Heck, Benning might get him for 1.75 on 2 year bridge deal.

Ya Gudbranson cost us a McCann and a high 2nd pick but hindsight is 50-50. Trade Guds at the deadline and I'm hoping we can retrieve something to offset that high 2nd/McCann loss. But Dump Gudbranson before JB locks him up for the next 8yrs at 5.5 with a NTC

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I agree. Good post.

The only fly in the ointment is Guddy for me. I can't get a bead on him. By that I mean I can't really work out what he is good at other than maybe fighting. 

He didn't look too good in a defensive role and he sure isn't an attacking or puck carrying D. 

However, nagging away at me is the fact he is young, hasn't had much time to settle in and maybe his young line mates were putting him under pressure. I understand he will likely be looking for quite an increase in his next contract. If that is so he may not be that much of an attractive proposition to Vegas.

We need to keep Sbisa. He is now turning into the defender JB promised us he would and he will be a mainstay for us in the future given he is comparatively young.

Tanev imo hasn't even reached his ceiling yet, he makes a hell of a difference to our D and he could mentor our young D, like Juolevi for years. The only downside I see in him is he takes too much punishment - he seems fair game for any forward to hit without consequences - that may lead to more injuries down the line. It's hard, after the Oiler game not to think that D are the ones to take us forward and that Guddy may be surplus to requirements.

I also think he is one of these guys who would rather stick with one club - i.e. the Canucks and that may serve our cap in the future.

I'm glad I'm not TL and JB. No matter what they decide, some fans will say they made the wrong decision.

hmmmmm do you think playing Gudbranson with Tanev might take some of the physical play away from Tanev?   I guess the problem with that is neither are great puck movers tho Tanev is not too bad I guess.

Here's a way to keep both.

Miller is UFA at year's end. Vegas can sign any number of UFA's, but I bet they have him pencilled in already for starter and veteran leadership.

So, sound him out. Sign him to a contract extension for 1 year in mid March at a $3 mill salary but give him a $1 mill signing bonus. Expose him in the draft and at $3 mill Vegas can't afford not to take him, as they won't find a comparable goalie at that price.

Hard to argue the D isn't better now, but so easy to forget that Gudbranson is only 24.  At 24, most here would have turfed Sbisa for cap relief.  Thing is, in 2-3 years when this team is back to being a competitive force, G could well be anchoring the top-4 and still just be entering his prime.

Have to again go back to JB's comments about "moving assets before they become depreciating". Moving an Edler or Tanev now is still a bit too early, but the expansion draft might just force it.  Ideally we want them both here until Juolevi is into the lineup and Stecher/Tryamkin fully established.

On 2017-01-02 at 7:35 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Hard to argue the D isn't better now, but so easy to forget that Gudbranson is only 24.  At 24, most here would have turfed Sbisa for cap relief.  Thing is, in 2-3 years when this team is back to being a competitive force, G could well be anchoring the top-4 and still just be entering his prime.

Have to again go back to JB's comments about "moving assets before they become depreciating". Moving an Edler or Tanev now is still a bit too early, but the expansion draft might just force it.  Ideally we want them both here until Juolevi is into the lineup and Stecher/Tryamkin fully established.

Agreed, mostly, but a future with Stretcher, Hutton, Tanev and Olli does not exactly scream pain to play against, even if Tree stays and Guddy is wearing the C. 

Hutton is the guy to move. On the right team, he can be an insulated, complementary piece. IMO, He lacks that killer instinct, anything to win, edge. That's the guy you lose with, not win with. 

I've been waiting for an Edler trade for a long time. He is part of the culture that needs to go. 

I believed the Gudbranson hype coming into this season.  This was a rare Benning trade I didn't hate.  Though half a season maybe isn't a huge sample size to go off that's all we have, so that being said... I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd keep Sbisa for a number of reasons. 

1.  Sbisa has just straight up been better in every way than Gudbranson this season. 

2.  Gudbranson is probably going to get a much bigger contract than Sbisa

3.  Sbisa has consistently been a big hitter since he came to Vancouver, Gudbranson having a bad wrist or being on a new team is no excuse for his lack of physicality

4.  The NHL has really turned into a young man's speed game, Gudbranson is not good enough defensively to overcome his terrible speed

That said, Gudbranson isn't going anywhere.  I don't see him being traded since we just traded for him.  Also, we gave up a 2nd round pick and a former 1st round pick for him so I don't see him being exposed.  Even if he's been garbage with the Canucks it would look terrible to lose him for nothing. 

Archived