The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sbisa or gudbranson

orcasgonewild

Sibisa is the guy if you want to unload a D at expansion draft .Even if he is not exposed they may offer sheet him.

We really need to get a bead on Guudy like another half season glimpse.

TL an JB should also make sure we don't end in a predicament of inadvertently exposing one of our RFA on forward line.

JB may still need to trade for a top six forward at outset of draft to continue moving forward with the retool project.

it is unclear what other young good top 4 D will be left by other teams? 

Dorsett an ?on forward? To be exposed.

If not Sibisa it would have to be Taney he will be significantly older than the next core. Besides his lack of teflon to playing seasons injury free he seems to be the second D consideration. It's to bad we could not package up our D to Oilers for one of there access young forward talents.Then we could leave Biega unprotected also an we may actually service a need on forward line in the process.

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Edler      Stecher

Guddy    Tanev

Hutton    Tryamkin

Sbisa gets traded or left unprotected.

That gives us a young group that can grow together. By the time that Edler contract is up Juolevi should be ready.

I would argue that the gap between sbisa and Edler had diminished significantly and given their age difference and edlers back/injury issues, I'd rather move fwd with sbisa.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would argue that the gap between sbisa and Edler had diminished significantly and given their age difference and edlers back/injury issues, I'd rather move fwd with sbisa.

I would wait to see how Sbisa does for the rest of the year. He has been much better there is no question about that but Edler is still a top 2 D man and when he is not in the line up he is missed.

I am not ready to go all in in on Luca after 30 decent games. I still remember all of the mistakes that cost games.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you're right about Sbisa's play.  In fact, the last month, I'm much more at ease with him in the top 4.  He's still capable of mental mistakes but the ones he makes are less grievous than in the past.  Certainly no worse than Edler.  I'm liking that Willie has adjusted his thinking so that both Edler and Sbisa are being played with guys who can clean up and settle things down if mistakes are made (Stecher and Tanev).

Having said that.  Since Edler and Tanev have come back, the defense is MUCH better imo.  I don't know how people can discuss moving either one of them.  Well, I do because they're valuable, but Benning certainly won't dismantle the D that he's worked so hard to bring together.  He's got a solid if unspectacular back end now and he's going to be patient with the development up front.  As he should be.

As crazy as it is to say. I say keep Sbisa over Gud.

Reason being we are way more deep on the right side then the left.

Left. Edler, Sbisa, Hutton, ? Juolevi is years away. Hutton is not looking great right now and with Sbisa taking his spot in the top 4 our D is looking a hell of a lot better. Not sure it's the smartest to bet on Hutton being a capable top 4 right now.

Right - Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Biega. With Tanev and Stecher being ahead of Gud on the depth chart and Tryamkin being good enough to fill in a top 4 position during injury I see Gud being expendable

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I think you're right about Sbisa's play.  In fact, the last month, I'm much more at ease with him in the top 4.  He's still capable of mental mistakes but the ones he makes are less grievous than in the past.  Certainly no worse than Edler.  I'm liking that Willie has adjusted his thinking so that both Edler and Sbisa are being played with guys who can clean up and settle things down if mistakes are made (Stecher and Tanev).

Having said that.  Since Edler and Tanev have come back, the defense is MUCH better imo.  I don't know how people can discuss moving either one of them.  Well, I do because they're valuable, but Benning certainly won't dismantle the D that he's worked so hard to bring together.  He's got a solid if unspectacular back end now and he's going to be patient with the development up front.  As he should be.

You do realize we're giving up well over 30 shots each game with these two back.  In the last few games it's been over 40.  Giving up that many chances is just not sustainable.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do realize we're giving up well over 30 shots each game with these two back.  In the last few games it's been over 40.  Giving up that many chances is just not sustainable.  

5 goals against in the last 3 games.

A lot of this has to do with not being to sustain pressure in the O-zone imo

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree about him not wanting to dismantle the d corp, but one of Edler or Tanev should be gone by next Oct.  At some point JB is going to have to trust what he, himself, has built........the expansion draft is going to force that move.  

35 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would wait to see how Sbisa does for the rest of the year. He has been much better there is no question about that but Edler is still a top 2 D man and when he is not in the line up he is missed.

I am not ready to go all in in on Luca after 30 decent games. I still remember all of the mistakes that cost games.

It hasn't been 30 games, Sbisas play this season it's just the next step in the upward progression he's shown since the day he was traded to Vancouver.  He had improved every season and, though he's given the detractors ammunition, his numbers and the eye test echo that progression.

I think Edlers play has been much better this year, but the writing is on the wall for him.  Sbisa is younger, meaner and can skate the puck out of trouble, Edler is not any of those things.  As I said in a previous post, the expansion draft is going to force JB's hand........why would he choose a dman in decline, with significant injury history over a player who has shown steady development and is very likely going to be a top 4 d, if he isn't already?

5 hours ago, Hockey101 class said:

To blame Gudbransons awful start on Hutton is a total joke more like the other way around, when i say the games to fast for him im not talking about his foot speed. The fact is Fla got rid of him because he is a 5/6 d man at best, we dont need a 5mil dollar goon. TSN was right it was a very lopsided trade, at first i didnt agree as our team needed toughness but after watching this season it's apparent they were right. The fact is he cant process the game fast enough nothing to do with his wrist.

Where did I blame Hutton for Gudbranson's struggles this season? They both struggled.  So your reading comprehension is the joke. 

You have your oppinion set in this discussion, me, I think it very foolish to think that a 3rd OA draft pick, RHD with size, toughness and skating ability should be written off at 24 after having to adjust to a new team in disarray and while suffering a injury that requires surgery. 

But go ahead, keep on making ill informed snap judgments and lack patience with player development. All players can be safely evaulate in a 20 game span.  If they don't work out in that period, trade them for a bag of pucks. 

Am I doing it right 101?  

I think Hutton will be fine. This fan bases expectations of him were so bloated after last season. He should settle nicely into a role as a 4/5 D for us though right now he's playing over his head. Imo last season he had Tanev covering his mistakes. This year with Gud Hutton needs to be more responsible at both ends of the rink his mistakes are more glaring and as a result he will become a much more mature hockey player for us in the future. 

Sbisa is the likely odd man out here as he is the most replaceable.

Edler Tanev 

Hutton Gud

Trample Stetch

Pedan Biega

Olli Subban

However if there was a big offer of prospects picks or exempt players out there for Tanev then JB should definitely be looking at that especially with the emergence of Stetcher with Edler. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree about him not wanting to dismantle the d corp, but one of Edler or Tanev should be gone by next Oct.  At some point JB is going to have to trust what he, himself, has built........the expansion draft is going to force that move.  

I see the depth chart as well as the next guy.  And it looks like they could have top 4 quality players on the bottom pair next year which is nice.  The question for me then is do they want that kind of salary on the back end?  Guddy needs a new contract.  What are they going to pay him?  Same with Tryamkin.  Hutton goes up to $2.8M.  Up front, Burrows 4.5 comes off the books but Horvat needs a new contract.  So what ever they do may be cap related as much as anything.

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson

Tryamkin Biega

I've no idea what is happening in the expansion draft.  If you want to protect 4 D, you can protect 2 fewer players which strikes me as punitive.  I think the powers that be are hoping that Vegas can at least draft a reasonable defense.  There are quite a few pretty good players they could draft and any number of strategies they could take once they are satisfied with a core group.  Top pair or top line players will all be protected.  At any rate, the Canucks have the depth to absorb a loss of Sbisa for example

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I also think even if we do leave Sbisa exposed they probably take Granlund from us anyway. Due to the sheer volume of #4 D available many of whom will be on better contracts they probably pass over Sbisa. 

The team can't afford to lose a Granlund or Baer.  Defense is where the can cover a loss, imo.  That's why, as much as it sucks to lose a dman the calibre of Edler for nothing, it's worth it to try and deflect away from sbisa, granlund, baer, gaunce

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

The team can't afford to lose a Granlund or Baer.  Defense is where the can cover a loss, imo.  That's why, as much as it sucks to lose a dman the calibre of Edler for nothing, it's worth it to try and deflect away from sbisa, granlund, baer, gaunce

They are still going to expose one of them - right now the word is Baer is the one to get exposed as he's not as versatile as Granlund.  I think Vegas would take him over the D that gets exposed (I can't imagine Edler being exposed). 

McPhee talks of a young and offensive team.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Wow you would actually loose Edler for nothing just to keep Gaunce?????

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are still going to expose one of them - right now the word is Baer is the one to get exposed as he's not as versatile as Granlund.  I think Vegas would take him over any Canucks D. 

If you put Edler in the mix, a betting man would say Vegas would take a legit too 4 dman over a "tweener" fwd.  I just think the team can absorb the loss of Edler more than the loss of Granlund or Baer.

Just now, stawns said:

If you put Edler in the mix, a betting man would say Vegas would take a legit too 4 dman over a "tweener" fwd.  I just think the team can absorb the loss of Edler more than the loss of Granlund or Baer.

I changed the wording.  I don't think they would expose Edler. 

Archived