The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Perhaps more of a comment on the quality of play in the SEL. AHL is way ahead of the SEL in quality.

It's fair comment given Jensen's parallel struggles in the AHL after lighting it up in the SEL. At some point, NHL-calibre players are going to have to learn to deal with the defensive system play that is emphasized at nearly all levels of the North American game, and is particularly prevalent in the A. But that approach does inhibit the development of offensive skill. That's why I'm glad Horvat is still in junior and developing his offensive game instead of playing 4th line minutes for the big club. Maybe some players do develop offensively in the A, but it seems pretty rare.

I think a counter argument might be that offensive players have their skills in place by the time they reach the AHL. The pro game is more about not hurting the team defensively than providing offense immediately. NHL teams are more prepared to be patient with a player achieving offensive stats if he is not costing them. I always remember Guy Lafluer under Bowman. Spent the better part of 3 seasons on the Montreal PK before getting regular o-zone opportunities.

Not saying that confidence is not a factor. Booth says hi! My point is that a previously big scorer in Junior can fall back on solid 'd' and then build his game back.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the Canucks not allowed to call Rodin up, while he has a contract with Brynas??

He's still doing very well in the league and at all the WJC tournaments he elevated his game like crazy. After this tough 8 game stretch for the Nucks I'd like to see our prospects get chances before the trade deadline

Are the Canucks not allowed to call Rodin up, while he has a contract with Brynas??

He's still doing very well in the league and at all the WJC tournaments he elevated his game like crazy. After this tough 8 game stretch for the Nucks I'd like to see our prospects get chances before the trade deadline

well, we'd have to sign him, and he'd have to honor his contract with brynas first, unless there was an NHL out clause.

It's fair comment given Jensen's parallel struggles in the AHL after lighting it up in the SEL. At some point, NHL-calibre players are going to have to learn to deal with the defensive system play that is emphasized at nearly all levels of the North American game, and is particularly prevalent in the A. But that approach does inhibit the development of offensive skill. That's why I'm glad Horvat is still in junior and developing his offensive game instead of playing 4th line minutes for the big club. Maybe some players do develop offensively in the A, but it seems pretty rare.

Players that want to play the SEL style always have a place in Edmonton.

• 1 month later...

Just bumping because Hockey's Future seems to have dropped Rodin from their Canucks page: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/vancouver_canucks/

He was listed on Vancouver's "organizational depth" a week ago. Now he's been removed.

HF sometimes ages out guys at 24 (which Rodin doesn't hit until November). Possibly they just reviewed/updated the page and dropped Rodin because of his current playing/contract status?

But he's still Canucks property (as in we still own his rights), at least the last time I checked. Anything changed?

No nothing's changed. Still to weak to play in the NHL, let lone AHL. Definitely not worth making a 2nd round selection on, but the Canucks were talking about taking him with their 1st round selection. Good Lord. Does anyone really believe this garbage drafting will ever improve? We as fans should stand up and DEMAND better drafting.

• Upvote 1

No nothing's changed. Still to weak to play in the NHL, let lone AHL. Definitely not worth making a 2nd round selection on, but the Canucks were talking about taking him with their 1st round selection. Good Lord. Does anyone really believe this garbage drafting will ever improve? We as fans should stand up and DEMAND better drafting.

broken record. the drafting did improve at the 2013 draft! we had a hell of a good draft it seems.

• Upvote 2