The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

He re-tweaked his knee.

He's also not a fit on the 4th line to replace Chaput or Skille even if healthy. Which he's not.

If healthy, Rodin is a better option on the fourth line than those two.  Or do you believe Willie is against skill on his fourth line?

57 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Its not looking too good at the moment and I would not be surprised if Rodin is back in the SHL next year. It seems there may be a bit of a disconnect between coach and management in this case and I dont think it would shock many if Rodin has had enough by the end of this season. 

Agreed. Was hoping he could get a shot to play and see what he could do. Should at least get a free meal at Anton's before he goes :P

On 1/9/2017 at 1:57 AM, JamesB said:

1. It is not always true that when a coach and GM don't see eye to eye the coach always gets fired right away. (Remember Torts and Gillis). GMs often wait until the end of the year.

2. There have been occasional hints from Benning and Linden that they do not always agree with Willie's decisions, but Benning and Linden have been clear that it is the coach's job to may the decisions about player deployment.

3. But I don't think Benning has any serious disagreement with Willie. I think Willie has been told to win now. And that is what Willie is trying to do. But I also think that Benning and Linden have the luxury of looking further ahead whereas I think Willie's job really is in jeopardy at the end of the season. (Although Willie has an additional year on his contract and I don't think that the owner is keen on having another "dead" contract -- paying a guy who has been fired.)

4. I am guessing that Benning and Linden would like to see how Rodin and Boucher look. But they want to be fair to Willie and won't over-rule his deployment decisions. Willie has the freedom ("enough rope") to make whatever player deployment decisions he thinks are best to maximize the chances of winning, even if the GM might do something different if he was the "micro-managing" type. 

5. As for Pedan not showing anything, he has not had a chance to show anything as he has not played a single game for the Canucks this season. He had an excellent year in Utica last year. This year he has had some injury problems and I suspect he was kind of discouraged by not getting a shot on the big team. Even so, he is one of the few players on Utica with a positive plus/minus in a year where they are struggling. And he has shown speed and size and toughness -- all things the Canucks could use.

1. When you're losing as badly as we have been and the coach makes deliberate and opposite decisions to management, you're on thin ice. He'd have to be buying into the same plan as management or they'd not keep him around.
  2. A little disagreement here and there isn't what I'm talking about. He has some leeway within that plan.
  3. Next year is a whole other story, yes.
  4. They'd like that, but they'd also like to make sure they're put in a position to succeed.
  5. Pedan did not impress at all in camp, and that was his chance. It's clear they aren't gifting anyone time so why should we expect Pedan to get an easy in (probably at the expense of another roster player - even if that's Biega, who's being rewarded for being patient in the press box). And yes, word is he's basically moped a bit every time he's been sent back to Utica, not a positive for a player you want to play a role.

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:
  1. When you're losing as badly as we have been and the coach makes deliberate and opposite decisions to management, you're on thin ice. He'd have to be buying into the same plan as management or they'd not keep him around.
  2. A little disagreement here and there isn't what I'm talking about. He has some leeway within that plan.
  4. They'd like that, but they'd also like to make sure they're put in a position to succeed.
  5. Pedan did not impress at all in camp, and that was his chance. It's clear they aren't gifting anyone time so why should we expect Pedan to get an easy in (probably at the expense of another roster player - even if that's Biega, who's being rewarded for being patient in the press box). And yes, word is he's basically moped a bit every time he's been sent back to Utica, not a positive for a player you want to play a role.

What are the chances, with the team bleeding money, Aquaman wanting to hire another coach, while still paying Torts and then add Willie?  Willie is our coach, and he's staying.

17 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Point 5 intrigues me. Where have you heard that he's moped every time he's been sent back to Utica? 

I think we need to just be patient and wait this situation out in terms of having Rodin suit up full time since Rodin has a history of being injury prone in North America. Remember when he had a bad shoulder and couldn't develop in the AHL because of it? He went back to Sweden and has progressed quite nicely since then. We have to make sure he's 100% healthy so we won't make the same mistake again. 

The thing that really irks me about Rodin being out of the lineup is that the players keeping him out are just filler - they're not guys who are in the team's future plans at all. We've seen 30+ games of Chaput, Skille, and almost 30 of Megna. We know what they are and what they can provide. I think Skille has earned his place but the other two haven't done anything at all that should prevent them from being scratched. We've seen enough of Megna in a top six role to know he isn't that player, and in all likelihood these players won't be here next season as the team cycles through NHL/AHL tweeners like every team does.

So why is Rodin, a new face with offensive upside, being held out of the lineup and playing limited minutes for players who don't mean anything to the team going forward? The same thing happened last year with Bartkowski. There was literally no point to him playing 80 games if he wasn't going to last. Even when the team was out of playoff contention and JB announced he wasn't going to re-sign Bartkowski he was still in the lineup every game down the stretch. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen with Megna this year. Its painful to watch him get 15 minutes of ice time per night and to have Rodin and Boucher watching from the press box without even being given a chance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

The thing that really irks me about Rodin being out of the lineup is that the players keeping him out are just filler - they're not guys who are in the team's future plans at all. We've seen 30+ games of Chaput, Skille, and almost 30 of Megna. We know what they are and what they can provide. I think Skille has earned his place but the other two haven't done anything at all that should prevent them from being scratched. We've seen enough of Megna in a top six role to know he isn't that player, and in all likelihood these players won't be here next season as the team cycles through NHL/AHL tweeners like every team does.

So why is Rodin, a new face with offensive upside, being held out of the lineup and playing limited minutes for players who don't mean anything to the team going forward? The same thing happened last year with Bartkowski. There was literally no point to him playing 80 games if he wasn't going to last. Even when the team was out of playoff contention and JB announced he wasn't going to re-sign Bartkowski he was still in the lineup every game down the stretch. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen with Megna this year. Its painful to watch him get 15 minutes of ice time per night and to have Rodin and Boucher watching from the press box without even being given a chance.

Ok so I guess you missed the fact he banged up his knee a couple games ago.. And the fact he's coming off a major knee injury.  Do people on CDC ever think that maybe the professionals might have a grasp on how to handle things?  But I guess I already know the answer to that ;) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

Ok so I guess you missed the fact he banged up his knee a couple games ago.. And the fact he's coming off a major knee injury.  Do people on CDC ever think that maybe the professionals might have a grasp on how to handle things?  But I guess I already know the answer to that ;) 

Didn't miss that fact. But I guess you missed the fact that in the three games he played in he's averaged 8:54, and that he was scratched in between those, and that my point was that WD hasn't given him a shot to show what he can do even when he's been available. Do people on CDC ever try to make intelligent replies to long posts or just pick out one thing that completely ignores the point of the post they're quoting? I guess now I know the answer to that. :unsure:

On 1/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, suitup said:

Point 5 intrigues me. Where have you heard that he's moped every time he's been sent back to Utica? 

See the quote below, from the current Utica thread:

On 12/4/2016 at 8:41 AM, UticaHockey said:

Pedan was a train wreck when he came to Utica from the Islanders organization and the transformation he made after a couple months with Green an his assistants was amazing.  However Padan has plateaued and his development stalled.  But that was also after another sever concussion that forced him to miss the last month of the regular season and the entire Calder Cup run in 2015.  And every time Pedan has come back from Vancouver after a call up his play has regressed substantially and it's like starting over again.  My believe is that is an attitude issue with Pedan who comes back pouting about not being in the NHL.

This is a Utica fan's perspective, but it seems supportive of Pedan's play suffering a little as he returns from call ups and when he was sent back after camp. Perhaps it's a different reason (jet lag from the time change, getting back in game shape to an extent after not playing, etc.) but there's something there where he definitely needs more consistency.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

See the quote below, from the current Utica thread:

This is a Utica fan's perspective, but it seems supportive of Pedan's play suffering a little as he returns from call ups and when he was sent back after camp. Perhaps it's a different reason (jet lag from the time change, getting back in game shape to an extent after not playing, etc.) but there's something there where he definitely needs more consistency.

Andrey played very well upon his most recent return from Vancouver without the typical moping that has been noticeable after past demotions back to Utica.  Hopefully its a good sign that he is starting to "get it".

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd rather send him down to Utica to play with Virtanen than have him in the press-box.  Megna's found a nice fit in our top-9 at times but against a more skilled opponent we can afford to swap Gaunce or Skille for Rodin

The Canucks are worried Rodin would get claimed.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Canucks are worried Rodin would get claimed.  :lol:

Many fans on here have penciled Rodin into a top 6 role. I don't see it but he has to have more ice. If his knee is not at top form then we might never see it until next year. I highly doubt he would be claimed as either Baer or Granlund will be exposed and they would go first.

I criticize other fans for not being patient enough for Benning to do his job but my outside the box TDL dealings would be moving Tanev, Miller and the Twins. Entertain offers on either Burrows or Hanson. Obviously Hanson is worth more but it is about the quality of the deal offered. I like keeping both of them for the transition. Deal Burrows and he comes back next fall. :) 

I wonder if anyone's ever considered that Jim might be sitting him to keep him from being eligible for the upcoming expansion draft?  (haven't scrolled back much in this thread to see if anyone's mentioned this, nobody got time for that)

According to Cap Friendly's expansion sim, Rodin needs 37 more games to be eligible to be picked.  The team has played 44 out of 82 games this season.  Perhaps by game 46 they'll bump one of the space-holders (either trade Burr, demote Megna to a lower line or send another player down) out of an offensive roster spot and let Anton have a shot (given that his knee is ready) for the remainder of the season?  Doesn't make sense that they say they recognize someone's value only to not use them so that would be my best guess.  Then again, this team's done weird stuff before so if they legit don't intend to use him then it'd just belong in their list of potential screw-ups.  Hope that's not the case though.