The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

That's why giovinco, pirlo, nesta left

Don't the top guys in MLS, a very few, get special exemption from the salary cap, but the rest of the guys get very little?  Most of the Caps, our local team, get less than 100,000.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're blind?  What the ... Does that mean?  You have a head ache?  An ear ache?  Young young people confuse me.

I got you Alfy. That's a face palm. Next the league order goes:

1. KHL

2. Liiga

3. SHL

4. Suisse Liga

5. MHL (I think that's what the second tier of the KHL is called)

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

1. KHL

2. Liiga

3. SHL

4. Suisse Liga

5. MHL (I think that's what the second tier of the KHL is called)

So this Rodan must be pretty darned good then.  He dominated the stats in a league where scoring seemed not so easy.  Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, 87Crosby said:

1. KHL

2. Liiga

3. SHL

4. Suisse Liga

5. MHL (I think that's what the second tier of the KHL is called) Allsvenskan

Swedens second league is still a very good league, I would say it's better than the MHL. It produces a lot of NHL talent for a second tier league and a lot of players are drafted out of that league.

Edited by Gstank29

12 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Swedens second league is still a very good league, I would say it's better than the MHL. It produces a lot of NHL talent for a second tier league and a lot of players are drafted out of that league.

I trust your input on scouting 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

MLS pays better than Seria A?  

Of course not. The MLS salary cap is around $3.5 million total. Each team is allowed 3 exempt players so Toronto FC are basically paying 3 guys a total of $18 million including Giovinco but the cap number for those 3 players is only $1.2 million. So the rest of the 17 players combined make $2.3 million, which makes the average player salary less than $150,000. 

In Serie A and other European leagues there is no salary cap. Juventus, my favourite team, has a total of around $65 million payroll off of 25 players, so their average salary is well over $2 million. It's even worse in England and Spain. 

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

That's why giovinco, pirlo, nesta left

No they left because they couldn't get a contract with Juventus, Milan or any other European team and MLS teams like Toronto and New York paid them big bucks to come to North America. Giovinco is one of the few players under 30 and still in his prime to come to North America.  Juventus basically gave him away for free and didn't resign him.  Guys like David Villa, Pirlo, Kaka and others are all past their primes. 

Apparently Anton told his agent to contact the Canucks to express interest in coming back to the NHL. To me this indicates that he believes that he has unfinished business and wants to prove to everyone that he is ready to make the jump. I also think that he well come into camp on a mission to stick with the team because he wants to prove that he can play with the best of the best.

He will be interesting to watch during trainning camp, I expect him to come out of the gates flying.

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

Apparently Anton told his agent to contact the Canucks to express interest in coming back to the NHL. To me this indicates that he believes that he has unfinished business and wants to prove to everyone that he is ready to make the jump. I also think that he well come into camp on a mission to stick with the team because he wants to prove that he can play with the best of the best.

He will be interesting to watch during trainning camp, I expect him to come out of the gates flying.

yeah. not sure if he contributes in the top six. but top nine for sure. he's not a fourth line player. so hopefully Desjardins doesn't play him there. doesn't make sense and wouldn't be putting Rödin in a position to succeed. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. not sure if he contributes in the top six. but top nine for sure. he's not a fourth line player. so hopefully Desjardins doesn't play him there. doesn't make sense and wouldn't be putting Rödin in a position to succeed. 

Obviously different skill sets but IMO all we can hope for is that he'll be a 2nd/3rd line 'tweener' similar in quality to a Raymond or (in his prime) Higgins. +/- 30 points in his prime, complimentary guy to play on the 3rd/occasionally fill in on the 2nd, maybe 2nd PP down the line etc.

That's likely his ceiling. Now we see if he can reach it. Nobody should be expecting more than about 20 points next season though IMO.

The KHL is in huge financial trouble with some teams not paying their players regularly. It suggests that many KHL players will not only head back to the NHL if they can get jobs but also that they will move to the Euro leagues as well. The Canucks get Rodin, Tryyamkin and Larson as a result.

When comparing leagues I still rank the AHL as the best 2nd level league for NHL development. I am not big on any of the Euro leagues.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Obviously different skill sets but IMO all we can hope for is that he'll be a 2nd/3rd line 'tweener' similar in quality to a Raymond or (in his prime) Higgins. +/- 30 points in his prime, complimentary guy to play on the 3rd/occasionally fill in on the 2nd, maybe 2nd PP down the line etc.

That's likely his ceiling. Now we see if he can reach it. Nobody should be expecting more than about 20 points next season though IMO.

Yeah. He's not top line material (though, one can hope!). But your probably right. Most likely a tweener of a player 2nd/3rd line player in the lineup. If he can contribute 10 goals next season, I'd say that's a good start for Rodin. 

On July 3, 2009 at 0:13 AM, Sergei Shirokov said:

Seems like a very interesting prospect.

Our top forward prospects now look like:

1. Hodgson

2. Schroeder

3. Grabner

4. White

5. Rodin

mmm...not bad at all. I'm really surprised how much one deep draft can replenish our prospect pool.

Geeze funny what hindsight can do eh.

Not blaming the poster it was just reality.

Edited by Spotted Zebra

25 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That's for sure, if only Schroeder had been our gaudreau :"(

I dunno. I think Schroeder was a combination of things. Utica wasn't under Canuck property. and he wasn't given a chance at top six role under AV. it was tough. and now his career is pretty much on nothing. he's a depth guy. a career AHLer. 

4 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Geeze funny what hindsight can do eh.

Not blaming the poster it was just reality.

to be fair. Hodgson, Schroeder and Grabner were supposed to play top six roles for the Canucks at the time they were drafted. but unfortunately their careers just never took off. though Grabner did have a good year when he was with the islanders. scored what. 34 goals? was that with Tavares as his centre?