The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

There aren't enough roster spots to keep all the players as prospects start to earn jobs.

Guys like Rodin and even likely Baer will not be part of the next core. Granlund has a fighting chance as a good depth/2 way guy (and if I recall youngest of the three) but eventually most, if not all will be replaced and hopefully moved for other assets. 

You don't have a handle on Rodin if you think Granlund is a better "2-way" guy.  I like Granny but he does not go into the corner's and is not to be found in front of the net very often either.  Rodin hounds the puck and goes to the dirty areas.  like I said before here is my lineup for year after this one coming up.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Rodin or Granlund / Vilardi or Glass / Goldy

Granlund or Rodin / Sutter / Dahlen

Virtanen / Gaunce or Gaudette / Dorsett or Erikkson

with Erikkson and/or Gaunce (if Gaudette is ready) riding the press box bench

Erikkson is the guy there is no room for.

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You don't have a handle on Rodin if you think Granlund is a better "2-way" guy.  I like Granny but he does not go into the corner's and is not to be found in front of the net very often either.  Rodin hounds the puck and goes to the dirty areas.  like I said before here is my lineup for year after this one coming up.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Rodin or Granlund / Vilardi or Glass / Goldy

Granlund or Rodin / Sutter / Dahlen

Virtanen / Gaunce or Gaudette / Dorsett or Erikkson

with Erikkson and/or Gaunce (if Gaudette is ready) riding the press box bench

Erikkson is the guy there is no room for.

Rodin certainly appears to have good puck pursuit and decent 2 way play. Now we need to see if he can stay healthy and do that, in the NHL and over a season.

I've seen Granlund play a solid 2 way (positional) game over the course of a season.

But Rodin's also almost 27. Granlund just turned 24.

I'd also wager we'll take a good look at Kane next summer taking up another W spot.

49 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You don't have a handle on Rodin if you think Granlund is a better "2-way" guy.  I like Granny but he does not go into the corner's and is not to be found in front of the net very often either.

:huh:  Bro do you even hockey?

• Upvote 2

I think he would be a very good fit beside Granlund and Sutter.

Speed, skill, and some grit (yeah some North American Heart with european skill JB)

Ultimately I think it will be a showdown between him and Goldobin for that rightwing spot.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:57 AM, J.R. said:

Rodin certainly appears to have good puck pursuit and decent 2 way play. Now we need to see if he can stay healthy and do that, in the NHL and over a season.

I've seen Granlund play a solid 2 way (positional) game over the course of a season.

But Rodin's also almost 27. Granlund just turned 24.

I'd also wager we'll take a good look at Kane next summer taking up another W spot.

Rodin's birthday is November 20th...I don't get the popular idea that we should be calling him "almost 27" there are a few of you guys doing that...stop it.

Granlunds BD is April 15...they is about a 2.5 year difference in the ages and that difference is part of the reason we need Rodin...

....we don't want a team of 19-24 year olds do we?    There has to be some role models that are in their prime....that's why we need Rodin ....who is 26 and a half.....but has one whole year of no wear and tear on his body...so he is more like 25 and a half in hockey years!!!.....

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin's birthday is November 20th...I don't get the popular idea that we should be calling him "almost 27" there are a few of you guys doing that...stop it.

Granlunds BD is April 15...they is about a 2.5 year difference in the ages and that difference is part of the reason we need Rodin...

....we don't want a team of 19-24 year olds do we?    There has to be some role models that are in their prime....that's why we need Rodin ....who is 26 and a half.....but has one whole year of no wear and tear on his body...so he is more like 25 and a half in hockey years!!!.....

No wear and tear!? Lol dude hasn't played in an entire season

16 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Honestly if a 20-24 year old has a decent amount more experience playing in the nhl I'd prefer it over a 25-30 year old with 3 games under their belt. 

Edited by cyoung
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Honestly if a 20-24 year old has a decent amount more experience playing in the nhl I'd prefer it over a 25-30 year old with 3 games under their belt. 

My point was we need some player's in there prime for role models....it does the kids no good to be on a losing team with no role models except the Sedins in their last year.

Rodin is as good as any of our top 9....just watch....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

My point was we need some player's in there prime for role models....it does the kids no good to be on a losing team with no role models except the Sedins in their last year.

I think we all like Rodin, and feel for his bad luck.  We don't need any more older guys during our rebuild.  Play Dahlen or Boucher or Virtanen or Goldobin in that spot.  For myself I have second thoughts about a 25 year old Baer being in our top six.  We have Twins, Errikson, Dorset and Sutter.  That's already enough experience to shelter the under 23 crowd.  

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It's not so much about their age now, it's about their age when we're in the playoffs again likely in 3+ years.

He's not a long term fit on the team 3+ years out.  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we all like Rodin, and feel for his bad luck.  We don't need any more older guys during our rebuild.  Play Dahlen or Boucher or Virtanen or Goldobin in that spot.  For myself I have second thoughts about a 25 year old Baer being in our top six.  We have Twins, Errikson, Dorset and Sutter.  That's already enough experience to shelter the under 23 crowd.  

ROLE MODEL....it's not sheltering them, it's not having old players around them, it is having a guy who knows how to play and is in there peer group still, showing them the way while playing on the same line as them.

The Sedins play together so only one kid can play with them anyway and this will be there last year.  Erikkson is not a role model and will likely end up in the press box. Dorsett will pull 4th line minutes ...likely with Erikkson so not much mentoring going on from there.

Rodin will be the bell of the ball by mid-season but will any of you guys say "oh hey you were right, just like you were right about Horvat, etc., etc." , don't think so.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

It's not so much about their age now, it's about their age when we're in the playoffs again likely in 3+ years.

He's not a long term fit on the team 3+ years out.  

...because he will be 29 and in his prime...so not a good fit....I am really starting to lose it with you guys!!!  

please just open your eyes and watch.....

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...because he will be 29 and in his prime...so not a good fit....I am really starting to lose it with you guys!!!  

please just open your eyes and watch.....

Exiting his prime actually,  just as we're pushing for playoffs. 

For me, Rodin totally fits as he's a skilled player providing some internal competition in the top 9.

on the wing there are 6 spots on lines 1-3 and we'd have Sedin, Eriksson, Baertschi, Granlund, Rodin, Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Dahlen, Boucher and Gaunce to go with an army of 4th liners.  Realistically, Dahlen doesn't crack the lineup and Gaunce could play 4th line so it's 9 guys fighting for 6 spots.  

That's healthy competition and exactly what this team has been lacking the past few seasons heading into training camp.  

If management wants a shift from Willie playing Megna up the lineup over skilled players... good. Then make them earn it against other skilled players.  Utica will benefit as well and let's not forget a team's NHL roster players are almost always the biggest "assets" in the organization - we can always flip him.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I'm not doubting that he can be good. But can't use the experienced vet card haha