The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

Define, NHL calibre for us?

Players that are good enough to play in the NHL/already play in the NHL. Rodin and Burmistrov could slide into most teams bottom to middle six, Gaunce has shown he's good enough to play at the NHL level, and Boucher has already been claimed off waivers numerous times. 

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Players that are good enough to play in the NHL/already play in the NHL. Rodin and Burmistrov could slide into most teams bottom to middle six, Gaunce has shown he's good enough to play at the NHL level, and Boucher has already been claimed off waivers numerous times. 

Sedin, Sedin, Vanek

Baer, Horvat Gagner

Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson

Rodin Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Del Zotto Gudy

That means there are only 3 extra spots. That means pick three and the rest are getting waived (possibly claimed)

Boucher, Burmistrov, Chaput, Megna, Biega, Wierchioch, Pedan, McEneny

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

While I would normally agree with you, and have argued that point earlier this summer, we have made so many signings that I'm not sure anymore. We still don't really have any elite talent, and probably still won't be very competitive, but this is the deepest with NHL caliber forwards I remember seeing this team in the past decade.

Especially if waiver exempt guys prove they belong, I can see someone like Rodin, Burmistrov, Gaunce, or maybe even Boucher (though I don't think he's a huge loss) getting claimed. It's still probably not that likely (especially with Rodin having just spent a year on injured reserve and not having proven anything in the NHL) since other teams are also trying to sneak their own players through waivers, but I think it is a possibility Rodin could get claimed.

Point is, if Canucks lose someone from this group to waivers, it is not likely to be a formational piece of the next competitive version of the team.   None of the pieces of that team will be exposed.   Point is that while some may be lost to waivers, and I emphasize MAY, they will be at best "oh well" thoughts in terms of the team that this organization hopes to ice in two to three seasons.   No?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin is not getting waived....he is better than half our team ...easy.

Interesting - this could be true.   I wonder if Baer or Granlund, for two examples from your team, were placed in SEL at 24 years of age if they would dominate like Rodin did?

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Point is, if Canucks lose someone from this group to waivers, it is not likely to be a formational piece of the next competitive version of the team.   None of the pieces of that team will be exposed.   Point is that while some may be lost to waivers, and I emphasize MAY, they will be at best "oh well" thoughts in terms of the team that this organization hopes to ice in two to three seasons.   No?

You're talking about a fan base that lost their minds over losing Frankie Corrodo lol 

• Upvote 1

Just now, qwijibo said:

You're talking about a fan base that lost their minds over losing Frankie Corrodo lol 

Good point - though to give those people some credit, at the time the prospect pool for the Canucks (two years ago) was probably about as bad as any in the NHL (talent and depth) and is now likely into the upper 1/3 or even 1/4 - which is pretty good progress and allows less angst over a waiver wire loss of a bubble player.

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good point - though to give those people some credit, at the time the prospect pool for the Canucks (two years ago) was probably about as bad as any in the NHL (talent and depth) and is now likely into the upper 1/3 or even 1/4 - which is pretty good progress and allows less angst over a waiver wire loss of a bubble player.

Yeah, I was recently coming up with a roster of players and prospects under about 23 (baertschi and granlund being the cutoff point). I think the historical view of Benning's work here is going to be highly regarded (even if he's ousted prior to their maturation).

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sedin, Sedin, Vanek

Baer, Horvat Gagner

Rodin Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Del Zotto Gudy

That means there are only 3 extra spots. That means pick three and the rest are getting waived (possibly claimed)

From this, I go with 13 forwards, 8 defensemen; keep Burmistrov, Pedan and Wiercioch up. The rest go down. The only one I would see getting claimed would be Boucher. Chaput and Biega provide some value, but guys like them are fairly common, and are usually available at younger ages. McEneny is still waiver eligible (I think) and Megna provides very little value except as a speedy warm body (at the NHL level)

3 minutes ago, nzan said:

Yeah, I was recently coming up with a roster of players and prospects under about 23 (baertschi and granlund being the cutoff point). I think the historical view of Benning's work here is going to be highly regarded (even if he's ousted prior to their maturation).

I am out of reps but wanted to give one here.   I personally believe he needs one more good TDL, some good use of veteran assets through the season and before next year's draft and irrespective of draft slot (including if a lottery team and the corresponding "luck") a good draft before the cupboard is acceptably stocked to support a competitive run.   I know a lot of people are convinced they need to find a McDavid or similar but I think if you have a a bunch of Horvat's you may be as well or even better off spreading your CAP over the lineup  versus concentrating it to 20 minutes (1/3 of the game).   

I also think how well OJ and Demko develop will be very key to his legacy.   It appears the EP draft choice will remain polarizing until that player gets to NHL but early work against men in SEL preseason/Champions League is far above expectation (at least on my part).

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Interesting - this could be true.   I wonder if Baer or Granlund, for two examples from your team, were placed in SEL at 24 years of age if they would dominate like Rodin did?

I brought up that very idea somewhere on this forum...from what I have seen so far, Horvat is the only player we have that has significantly more value, although I am pretty sure both Boeser and Pettersson will be better overall...I actually see Rodin as more valuable than Erikkson and a rich man's Gagner.

5 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

From this, I go with 13 forwards, 8 defensemen; keep Burmistrov, Pedan and Wiercioch up. The rest go down. The only one I would see getting claimed would be Boucher. Chaput and Biega provide some value, but guys like them are fairly common, and are usually available at younger ages. McEneny is still waiver eligible (I think) and Megna provides very little value except as a speedy warm body (at the NHL level)

McEneny has to pass waivers now, and despite having very limited games would be a risk imo.  I'd rather Biega, Pedan, and depending on preseason perhaps even Wiercioch be exposed before him as he's turned into a pretty decent prospect.  Boucher, Chaput, Megna and perhaps Burmistrov can and may all be waived, although injuries will likely keep one or more around to start the season.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am out of reps but wanted to give one here.   I personally believe he needs one more good TDL, some good use of veteran assets through the season and before next year's draft and irrespective of draft slot (including if a lottery team and the corresponding "luck") a good draft before the cupboard is acceptably stocked to support a competitive run.   I know a lot of people are convinced they need to find a McDavid or similar but I think if you have a a bunch of Horvat's you may be as well or even better off spreading your CAP over the lineup  versus concentrating it to 20 minutes (1/3 of the game).   

I also think how well OJ and Demko develop will be very key to his legacy.   It appears the EP draft choice will remain polarizing until that player gets to NHL but early work against men in SEL preseason/Champions League is far above expectation (at least on my part).

I'm not out of reps. 

If he has another year that goes as well as this one appears to have gone, it could have the potential to make the Canucks a legitimate contender again.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

McEneny has to pass waivers now, and despite having very limited games would be a risk imo.  I'd rather Biega, Pedan, and depending on preseason perhaps even Wiercioch be exposed before him as he's turned into a pretty decent prospect.  Boucher, Chaput, Megna and perhaps Burmistrov can and may all be waived, although injuries will likely keep one or more around to start the season.

Ok, didn't know that about McEneny. That does change things. With that, I keep McEneny and Wiercioch in Vancouver, send Pedan down along with Biega. Wiercioch has proved he can play at the NHL level, albeit not much above a 6-7, but that's better than Pedan (for now).

38 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Ok, didn't know that about McEneny. That does change things. With that, I keep McEneny and Wiercioch in Vancouver, send Pedan down along with Biega. Wiercioch has proved he can play at the NHL level, albeit not much above a 6-7, but that's better than Pedan (for now).

If the choice s a 13 th forward was between Rodin and Pedan (Pedan plays forward in preseason) who do we keep?

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the choice s a 13 th forward was between Rodin and Pedan (Pedan plays forward in preseason) who do we keep?

I think the NHL is moving towards elite skill and though you need to have grit, I think the Canucks have a lack of elite skill and Rodin has that.   Not many of their forward group could go to Sweden and dominate SEL and be MVP - so I would say IF his knee is truly back to as good as pre-injury, I would choose him over Pedan.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If he is healthy, then my choice is Rodin. Pedan, right now, is a big body, with speed and snarl, but otherwise too inconsistent for the NHL level. Rodin is a proven scoring forward (at least in Sweden) and looked really good last camp, even on one leg.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sedin, Sedin, Vanek

Baer, Horvat Gagner

Rodin Gaunce Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Del Zotto Gudy

Just to start, Gaunce is out until November, and we can cross Chaput, Megna and Biega off the list as they should be support for Utica (or are players I'm not worried at all about losing to waivers). Add to that any other injuries and if Dorsett is fully ready, then if we see any improvement out of Pedan to warrant him not also being with Chaput/Megna/Biega, and that quickly changes from 3 extra spots and 8 players to fill them to 4-5 extra spots with 4-5 to fill them.

That's before even talking about players who should be competing for spots in Boeser and Juolevi (and maybe one of our PTOs) who would make it about 6-7 players trying to fill those 4-5 spots. That list of players and spots available is more realistic I think.

Now, what to do with them? Gagner or Granlund could move down to fill Gaunce's spot, or Burmistrov could step up. Boucher's likely to be a utility forward again, and depending on the hole left Boeser or even Virtanen (less likely) could make it. For defence, Wiercioch is likely as the first guy to draw into the 6 D spots, and McEneny will be the extra (with injuries will probably see plenty of time).

• Upvote 1