The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

On 2017-10-25 at 11:52 AM, higgyfan said:

Surprised to see that R's only played in 1 game; lowest on the team.  This problem with too many vets is really creating havok for guys that are trying to prove they are ready for the NHL.  Hope he gets to slot in on some of the upcoming games.

He's currently nursing a sore hamstring according to Benning.

So between visa issues, not playing or practicing, veteran roster issues, and the sore hammy, it's not really surprising Rödin has only played one game so far.

The good news, and there is some, there is more at play here than the vet rule.

Rodin cleared waivers on Oct. 1, but he didn’t join the Comets until Oct. 6 in Toronto, after having worked through immigration issues.

The Comets played in TO on Oct. 7 and 8.

“He hadn’t skated all week,” Benning said. “So he didn’t play in those two games. He practised a few days and I think they’ve only played two or three games since.”

Three. But on the third, which was Saturday, Benning suggested Rodin may not have been entirely healthy.

“Now, he’s got a bit of a sore hamstring.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-the-jake-ening-anders-mountain-some-trade-for-d-news-and-the-rodin-situation

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This guy cant catch a break when he is in NA. Was really hoping he would play well in Utica and be a call up. Now its get healthy and  battle for playing time in Utica.

I was hoping to see him in a Canuck uni this year, may still happen. We could be down a couple forwards once trade deadline gets closer

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

This guy cant catch a break when he is in NA. Was really hoping he would play well in Utica and be a call up. Now its get healthy and  battle for playing time in Utica.

I was hoping to see him in a Canuck uni this year, may still happen. We could be down a couple forwards once trade deadline gets closer

His injury history is a serious concern as they keep happening. He has not played a significant number of games in Utica to date. Hard not to give up on him if any other team made a offer. Doubt that would happen anyway.

Canucks to release Rodin from contract

...forward placed on conditional waivers

by Canucks Media Relations @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks

5:43 PM

cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced that forward Anton Rodin has been placed on unconditional waivers today for the purpose of being released from his contract.

"Anton asked to be released from his contract," said Benning. "We value the skill and depth he adds to our team but ultimately it was important to respect Anton's request to move on."  

Rodin played seven games with the Utica Comets (1-1-2) this season and was limited to three games as a Canuck last season due to injury. A Stockholm, Sweden native, Rodin was originally drafted by the Canucks 53rd overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.  

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-anton-rodin/c-293175972

10 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced that forward Anton Rodin has been placed on unconditional waivers today for the purpose of being released from his contract.

"Anton asked to be released from his contract," said Benning. "We value the skill and depth he adds to our team but ultimately it was important to respect Anton's request to move on."  

Rodin played seven games with the Utica Comets (1-1-2) this season and was limited to three games as a Canuck last season due to injury. A Stockholm, Sweden native, Rodin was originally drafted by the Canucks 53rd overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.  

Classy of Benning to do what Rodin asked instead of dragging it out trying to get a pick for him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

D*mn, he was my preseason darkhorse to make an impact this season. 

Rodin had to be one of the most unlucky pros ever. Highly skilled but has had his career constantly derailed by injuries. 

Hopefully he's able to re-salvage his SHL career and maybe another NHL team will give him a flyer in a few years.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Damn. Too bad he couldn't get healthy, guy has NHL level skill but crappy luck lol

Gotta feel for him. He's had such a string of poor luck in North America, dating back to his stints with those Chicago Wolves teams, and continuing through his recent seasons with Vancouver/Utica.

I hope the hockey gods throw him some blessings and keep him healthy the next several years. Would love to see him get back to dominating the SHL, and then cash in with a fat deal on a rich KHL team or maybe another run at the NHL.

Wish him the best, wherever he lands.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Classy of Benning to do what Rodin asked instead of dragging it out trying to get a pick for him. 

Absolutely... But I think the man's classy in just about anything he does. I'm a big Benning fan.

The future will determine how good a manager he is, but I'm happy, with how he has dealt with his first job as manager.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

cut.jpg

Very sad, I'm glad we dealt with it honourably and let him leave. I hope he manages to get his optimum fitness back and has an excellent career without further injury. He was a player who I had great expectations for but it wasn't to be.

Good luck to him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure it was the injury that did him in. I don't think he was able to adjust to the NHL, couldn't get the defensive part down and maybe his play away from the puck was questionable. Glad they gave him another chance, just wasn't meant to be in NA.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure it was the injury that did him in. I don't think he was able to adjust to the NHL, couldn't get the defensive part down and maybe his play away from the puck was questionable. Glad they gave him another chance, just wasn't meant to be in NA.

:blink:

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought he looked better than most in preseason,  from an offensive standpoint. Was cruising around perimeter looking for open man or a deflection opportunity similar to how Boeser attempts to get some open space rather than try and fire it though 4 people. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think we ever got to see a healthy Rodin. Best of luck, Anton, hope the hockey gods look out for you!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

I thought he looked better than most in preseason,  from an offensive standpoint. Was cruising around perimeter looking for open man or a deflection opportunity similar to how Boeser attempts to get some open space rather than try and fire it though 4 people. 

I thought the exact same. Injuries did him in and coming back from the injury set his conditioning behind.

I predict Anton coming back and biting us in the Butt....this season....would not surprise me if he kept doing it to us as well....!!

Really bad treatment by JB has lead to this...playing Gagner over Rodin is just wrong and then it gets worse playing Burmistrov, Megna and bringing Boucher up instead of Rodin....hell...Vanek has been better of late but Rodin would have had his goals ....plus more assists ....plus more takeaways...plus less giveaways....

It is actually making me ill just thinking about it....really bad form JB....you need help with your management skills .....

• Upvote 3