The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gudbranson dilemma

Matt_T83

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the rest is just noise, as is this, but show us how he's over-rated and you may have something to start from.

ALL his analytics suggest he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. ALL OF THEM. Go read some articles on it instead of living in an echo chamber, since I probably can't trust you to interpret the analytics yourself. Some things you may be interested to read are that his possession numbers were the 2nd worst on Florida ahead of Willie Mitchell (because he was OLD, not because of his style of play)... People counter his offensive production by saying that, oh get all these D-zone starts. He had one of, if not, the longest average shift time on Florida. This means one of two things, it can't mean anything else... Either he got into the offensive zone, because the shifts were long and he did his defensive duty properly, and he still didn't produce. OR he failed at his defensive duties and his shifts were long because he couldn't help get the puck out. There are so many arguments to be made for why Gudbranson is a fraud. The only arguments I ever hear for him are the following:

- He's young, he's still developing (while he has 6 years experience.)

- He's big and throws a hard hit (so that means he can play defense?)

- He was a 3rd overall pick (an off the board one, that everyone was shocked by)

People even use his lack of offense as justification for his defense. Because they just assume that since he went 3rd overall, and his offense is SO BAD, he must be AMAZING at defense, and then they are like.. and HE'S GIANT! People treat this guy like he's one half of Chara (the defensive half). More like he's a variation on Yannick Weber, Sucks at everything and has a good check instead of a shot from the point. 

1 hour ago, Aircool said:

ALL his analytics suggest he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. ALL OF THEM....

yeah, that's was predictable - not whiff of substance.

Your assumptions depend on a myth - that "his analytics" refers to something.

Gudbranson doesn't have analytics - other people produce 'analytics' - and they're only as good as the analyst.

ermagerd, his corzi was 2nd worst behind OLD man MItchell,  What else could we possibly need to know?

The analytiz!  sayz zo!

10 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Is it? Well I've researched his analytics. They showed that Gudbranson unequivocally was the 2nd worst defenseman on Florida last year, to be fair the worst was his D-partner Mitchell. (due to age, his performance had declined)... There are 10s of blogs that will illustrate these exact same conclusions I came to, you can go read some.

Fun fact, we are 6-3-1 in our last ten. Which is 13/20 points... Obviously we aren't winning 65% of the available points every night, so that's an improvement. Another fact? We are 6-2 without Gudbranson... Which doesn't surprise me at all... Do you know how close we are to a wildcard right now? Doesn't that surprise you given how we were the 3rd worst team in the NHL a few weeks back? Like I said, Gudbranson's injury made us better, I'm just mad because his injury will cost us a Top-3 draft choice. There goes Patrick or Hischier :(

That's absolute terrible logic and you know it. One player doesn't make or break a team.  It's not like getting Tanev or Edler back healthy had anything to with our win as of late.

Using that same logic i can then say,

Last year, with Gudbranson in the Panthers line up, they were a 103 point team.  This year, without Gudbranson, they are on pace for 84.  Moving Gudbranson has made the Panthers a worse team. 

Funny how you still have to through in your pro tank argument while debating about a former 3rd overall pick. 

Just now, Green Building said:

Proves you know little about the team, or at least about the business of hockey, if that's your comparison. What do you think Tryamkin will get after 5 years more experience? 

They guy said it costs an arm and a leg to get a guy with size (he didn't even mention skill) on your back end. I gave an example proving that to not be unequivocally true.

Sure, he'll make more money eventually. If he ears it.

Do you think Gudbranson is a $5M defenceman?

Be honest

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Using a player on an elc is not a fair argument and you know it. 

Why not, He's already a better player that Gudbranson, with only 43 games under his belt.

I'm sorry it's embarrassing for some people.

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

They guy said it costs an arm and a leg to get a guy with size (he didn't even mention skill) on your back end. I gave an example proving that to not be unequivocally true.

Be honest

absolutely

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Why not, He's already a better player that Gudbranson, with only 43 games under his belt.

I'm sorry it's embarrassing for some people.

Because Tryamkin isn't gonna stick around getting paid 925K so your point is moot. Unless you think we can consistently churn out 6'7" D who can play hockey. Tryamkin if he continues his play will be Making just as much as Gud is asking if not more when he has the number of games under his belt Gud has. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's absolute terrible logic and you know it. One player doesn't make or break a team.  It's not like getting Tanev or Edler back healthy had anything to with our win as of late.

Using that same logic i can then say,

Last year, with Gudbranson in the Panthers line up, they were a 103 point team.  This year, without Gudbranson, they are on pace for 84.  Moving Gudbranson has made the Panthers a worse team. 

Funny how you still have to through in your pro tank argument while debating about a former 3rd overall pick. 

Oh so Gudbranson was the only player they traded? Clearly you don't understand how analytics work. And you are showing again as you have in the past that you don't know how logic works. Those are not equivalent situations.

Well we're going to get a crappy draft pick this year and still miss the playoffs.. Nobody is interested this year, we won't make the playoffs and it's a thin draft so we won't even get a good player at this rate... What a GREAT SEASON!!!

Just now, darkpoet said:

Be honest

I will be honest, ready? It doesn't matter what I think, it's about what the market thinks.

Having said that, if we have the cap room I have absolutely ZERO qualms about signing him for another contract that keeps him here until age 29, or the age generally accepted to be a defenceman's peak. I don't think he'll ever be a #1 dman, but I definitely believe he's better than what he's shown us as a Canuck thus far. 

If JB gets him for anything under $4.5 mil I'd call it a win for us. 

1 minute ago, Aircool said:

Oh so Gudbranson was the only player they traded? Clearly you don't understand how analytics work. And you are showing again as you have in the past that you don't know how logic works. Those are not equivalent situations.

Well we're going to get a crappy draft pick this year and still miss the playoffs.. Nobody is interested this year, we won't make the playoffs and it's a thin draft so we won't even get a good player at this rate... What a GREAT SEASON!!!

clearly you don't understand that analytics doesn't work in hockey

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Because Tryamkin isn't gonna stick around getting paid 925K so your point is mute

I was replying to the guy who said you have to pay a big price to get size on defence.

We didn't. And we got skill to boot. 

the fact that he's eventually going to make more money is irrelevant to my reply to that person. 

Of course he'll make more eventually, and with barely 40 games in the league it looks like he'll deserve every penny of it.

Unlike.......

11 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Really?

We've gone 7-2-1 since he got injured mid December

Pittsburgh went on a winning streak after Crosby was out of the line up. Tampa bay is winning with half their team injured. The Canucks were able to win without Henrik in the line up. Means nothing.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I will be honest, ready? It doesn't matter what I think, it's about what the market thinks.

Having said that, if we have the cap room I have absolutely ZERO qualms about signing him for another contract that keeps him here until age 29, or the age generally accepted to be a defenceman's peak. I don't think he'll ever be a #1 dman, but I definitely believe he's better than what he's shown us as a Canuck thus far. 

If JB gets him for anything under $4.5 mil I'd call it a win for us. 

Fair enough man. I disagree with him making any more than he does right now. He hasn't earned it. 

My position is that if people believe he is worth $5M to a team, then he must have some value and we should try and re-acquire a forward for him in trade. 

I mean, it sounds like it should be pretty easy because there are a lot of geniuses in here who seem to think he's an elite talent!  (sarcasm not directed at you) 

Archived