The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedin Struggles (Poll)

Adarsh Sant

Sedin's Ice Time  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

It's so tough to watch them when they seem out of ideas especially in set plays.  Hank's basically always at the side wall, looking to thread a pass to Sutter or Stecher, either that or he switches spots with his brother.  Danny's always open as an option and I think he's more fluid (willing to try down-low net-crashing plays, move back to work the point or work along the side walls) but they've been and likely will always remain perimeter players which would only limit their versatility and effectiveness.  That's the danger of becoming creatures of habit, you can only thrive in certain situations (e.g. Twins on passing plays, working on the outside among themselves, or with a speedy shooting winger-- Danny used to be the shooter but he passes now too so no wonder point totals are dropping)  

Thing is, for people comparing them to Jagr (6'3", 230 lbs) or Jumbo Joe (6'4", 220), both those guys have much more strength than the Twins, who've always been finesse players.  Danny's 6'1", 190 and Hank's 6'2", 188 so it would've made sense for them to find other ways to succeed (more skill-based plays vs. power) but when your playbook is known to opponents and when your shooter stops shooting, no wonder they'll be in trouble.  Credit them for being more assertive than in the past, but they still need to seek to take more initiative in diversifying their game up more (that and have a shooter, at least of Hansen or Rodin caliber) for them to work effectively as a unit still IMO.  Ultimately it may take a splitting of the Twins to have effective lines.  

Eriksson - Hank - Hansen, Danny - Sutter - Granlund, Sven - Bo - Rodin/ Burr still looks like a solid top-9 and changes like this might help prolong their effectiveness.  With these line-mates I think each of them could still rack up some decent assist totals.        

it comes down to "cause and effect"...successful PPs usually isolate on one PK player (i.e., 3 on 1) "cause" in order to get the other PK players to move to support "effect". Once the PP gets the PK to move, then the PP is at an advantage. The PP sets up a down low isolation "cause" in order to get the player covering the point to move "effect". Once the PK moves from the point, it opens the point up for a pass & shot and the PP has 3 men down low driving the net for a tip, screen and rebound. The movement and passing has to be quick to get the proper "effect"

Washington does this but they set up Ovi at the hash marks for a one timer...the PP needs to establish a "cause" to get an "effect"

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You'll hear lots of excuses.

I knew when they signed the last deal, it might end ugly. Voiced some doubt on a thread when they were negotiating, & I got roasted here, pretty good, Suggested just a coupla' yrs, for cheaper - boy was I informed how much I DIDN'T know about this great game.

Last wknd advocated 1 of them retiring, & took another hard hit :^)  ..TBH, I'm pretty tired of their play-style. At their current age/speed, it's painfully predictable. Now it all amounts to a 15 month-countdown. Personally enjoy watching fast skating, hard-hitting hockey. Team's hard to watch these days.

Pretty much.... Same with Burrows (although he has played better this year).

Apparently because they have done so much in the past (distant past in Burrows case) the canucks must keep them signed until retirement even if that means 71 because we owe it to them....

2 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I don't know, as long as they're not playing with Megna.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 14 MILL, 2 dudes, joined at the hip $$$$$$$$$$$Warning! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ DAN$ER! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Didn't mind Megna..at least the guy has wheels.

Also think the lineup should be more flexible for road games, where match-ups are harder to control. Many here have lamented Hansen(or anticipate Rodin); but maybe this is a yr(again!) we have to accept guys are banged up?

Megna Hank Eriksson (I'd even give Rodin, Boucher periodic stints here, to test)

Baer Bo Burrows (keep something that's worked fairly well; Burr's swan song)

Daniel Sutter (Skille/Boucher/Rodin)..If Hansen's ever back, Eriksson should slide into this line.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SEVEN MILLION(AAV, per) dollar $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ players must be able to raise the level of play of their line-mates. They SHOULDN'T have to be joined at the hip.

We've all(fans) been crammed into the helicopter of hope. It's got twin rotors(like them garbage US army Ospreys, that keep crashing here in Japan!). We don't even trust the pilot, who seems outa' his depth. Reelgud-drama.

^In my preceding post, there is NO 1st line.

17 mins

17 mins

17 mins

10 mins

Should be able to find 9 bodies that can skate 17 mins a night(give or take; pp & pk's yada yada)

Give an extra(or important) shifts to whoever's flying. Y'know..that WAAcky internal-competition-thingy?!

Take our lumps. Get $$$ off the books. Send Loui across border with illegal cough syrup. Get young, & keep acquiring younger assets. Don't fritter away youth.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Do a search for "average 2nd line points nhl".  You'll see the average 2nd liner gets just over 40 points.  Projected, the Sedins still amount of average 2nd line players even when they are playing this "lesser" game.  (Assuming they don't get even slower as the season progresses).  So they should absolutely share top minutes with Bo and company.

Problem is, they are achieving average 2nd line production with 1st line minutes and preferential assignments (i.e. no defensive zone starts). 

What would happen to their production if they were deployed with 200' responsibility like the other three lines? 

It has come to a point where it is the Sedins that need to be sheltered as they simply cannot keep pace with the league any longer.

54 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I guess I'm basing my thoughts on a couple of things: how good the twins have been when one has been injured, and that they do fine when only one is on a line 3 on 3 or 4 on 4. I also think they are skilled enough to adjust and might be able to extend their careers if they're not getting thumped in the corner night after night. 

Well, really Dank struggled a bit more when Hank is out if I recall.

They're separated 3v3 by simple math and that they both need to be paired with a faster forward to help cover their lack of speed.

Not sure how separating them gets them less 'thumped in the corner' either? What helps them getting less thumped in the corner is having a fast, puck retrieving, board battling W on their line so they don't have to do it as much. That's why Eriksson, Vrbata (or Rodin, or Naslund way back in the day etc) are a poor fit with them.

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 14 MILL, 2 dudes, joined at the hip $$$$$$$$$$$Warning! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ DAN$ER! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also think the lineup should be more flexible for road games, where match-ups are harder to control. Many here have lamented Hansen(or anticipate Rodin); but maybe this is a yr(again!) we have to accept guys are banged up?

Megna Hank Eriksson (I'd even give Rodin, Boucher periodic stints here, to test)

Daniel Sutter (Skille/Boucher/Rodin)..If Hansen's ever back, Eriksson should slide into this line.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SEVEN MILLION(AAV, per) dollar $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ players must be able to raise the level of play of their line-mates. They SHOULDN'T have to be joined at the hip.

We've all(fans) been crammed into the helicopter of hope. It's got twin rotors(like them garbage US army Ospreys, that keep crashing here in Japan!). We don't even trust the pilot, who seems outa' his depth. Reelgud-drama.

I'm not super invested in the games this season (I record and watch every game though). I see a lot of mismanagement from coach and execs alike, I liked Hansen with the twins but not a fan of the Megna or Sutter experiment. They need someone who crashes the net and is a great forechecker.

I get that we have injuries......but so does every team. We need more forward depth because Skille, Chaput, and Megna really shouldn't be in your lineup for a prolonged period of time.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

^In my preceding post, there is NO 1st line.

17 mins

17 mins

17 mins

10 mins

Should be able to find 9 bodies that can skate 17 mins a night(give or take; pp & pk's yada yada)

Give an extra(or important) shifts to whoever's flying. Y'know..that WAAcky internal-competition-thingy?!

Take our lumps. Get $$$ off the books. Send Loui across border with illegal cough syrup. Get young, & keep acquiring younger assets. Don't fritter away youth.

Yeah willie likes to roll 4 lines. I agree with your last statement about rebuilding. Don't know about getting Loui in trouble though lol.

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

The game is passing them by very quickly, much faster than I had anticipated and certainly much faster than they skate.

Time doesn't care who you are. The twind are still top 6 players but they have lost a step. They're passing isn't as crisp and they're turning the puck over more.

I still think they will get over 50pts this year and I still like watching them play.

13 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Problem is, they are achieving average 2nd line production with 1st line minutes and preferential assignments (i.e. no defensive zone starts). 

What would happen to their production if they were deployed with 200' responsibility like the other three lines? 

It has come to a point where it is the Sedins that need to be sheltered as they simply cannot keep pace with the league any longer.

The Sedins have always been sheltered when the coach has been able to. Kesler, Malhotra etc?

They're offensive players and now aging ones. Not sure what people are expecting... :blink:

And around 50 points is pretty much borderline 1st line/upper 2nd line territory. About where they should be expected. WIth Hansen not injured all year, they're likely closer to 60.

Just now, J.R. said:

The Sedins have always been sheltered when the coach has been able to. Kesler, Malhotra etc?

They're offensive players and now aging ones. Not sure what people are expecting... :blink:

Too much lol. They can still produce just not at top of the league rate.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Expecting them to not be huge minus players.  Expecting them to become defensively more responsible.  

42 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

At this point who cares about the money. We're not a good team in the middle of rebuilding and it's Aqualini's money. By the time we need cap Burrow, Miller and the Sedins will be gone. Maybe also Edler, Hansen, Tanev and Eriksson.  In 5 years we might need to worry about the money.

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

At this point who cares about the money. We're not a good team in the middle of rebuilding and it's Aqualini's money. By the time we need cap Burrow, Miller and the Sedins will be gone. Maybe also Edler, Hansen, Tanev and Eriksson.  In 5 years we might need to worry about the money.

We will need to draft some pretty darned good players if Cap is to become an issue.  Other than Bo, what young guys do we have that will demand big money?  It's like we have Bo, and then nothing else.

Archived