The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Goalie Gear Restrictions in effect as of Today, Feb. 4th

Are all the new restrictions required to go in place today? I saw some quotes by Rask a few days back saying it's just his pants that are getting a little bit smaller, and that he's used to it anyway because he doesn't do much blocking with his pants so much as pads. 

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Smaller pads will probably result in more goals, but the pants.... meh.

I liked Gretzky's idea better (post shape), if even 50% of pucks that hit the post or crossbar actually bounced in, scoring would go way up.

Or just make the Nets 1" wider?  Doesn't Gretzky's post shape create a sharper edge that could become a safety issue?

37 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I know Ryan Miller was one of the more outspoken against the changes in gear. It's really a suspect thing to do mid-season as some teams have played 5 more games than others.

Think we see more goals? Will Miller be able to adjust? 

The NHL probably did a long involved study on which of their favoured clubs would best benefit by a change during the season.

Changes midseason? Just another example of a clown administration making things up as they go. They're building a nice track record of looking like clowns. Pile this on top of penalizing teams for contracts signed before rule changes (i.e. Luongo Rule) instead of grandfathering, among other things and they sure begin to lose whatever respectability they had.

As minor of a change (pants) as this may be, it should be left until the offseason to keep it fair for everyone. Even if it has a minor effect on some goalies and none on others, that minor effect is even larger due the to fact teams have played different amounts of games. That minor change could have huge impacts on teams with fewer games remaining, no matter how subtle the change may be, compared to teams with more games left.

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I know Ryan Miller was one of the more outspoken against the changes in gear. It's really a suspect thing to do mid-season as some teams have played 5 more games than others.

Think we see more goals? Will Miller be able to adjust? 

It will be interesting, it may help Marky take over if its really that big a deal for Miller. Miller is not a big guy - 6'2" and only 168 lbs - so it may matter. I couldn't find a goal location chart for Miller so I don't know how vulnerable he is to this change compared to other goalies. 

Archived