The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Alex Edler could get traded because of the expansion draft

TDemko16

7 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Edler for Markov and a 1st?

Markov, while still reasonably capable, is a likely retiring/UFA cap dump. Edler and a cap dump back is worth more than just a first IMO. Of course, all dependent on if he were to actually waive.

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Markov, while still reasonably capable, is a likely retiring/UFA cap dump. Edler and a cap dump back is worth more than just a first IMO. Of course, all dependent on if he were to actually waive.

Markov is not seen as a cap dump.  Journal de Montreal believe that the Habs want to bring him back next year.  They say his absence was very noticeable when he missed some 20 games due to injury.  

Just now, mll said:

Markov is not seen as a cap dump.  Journal de Montreal believe that the Habs want to bring him back next year.  They say his absence was very noticeable when he missed some 20 games due to injury.  

As I said, he's still capable and clearly a good, veteran leader. Doesn't mean he's not 38 year old UFA with bad knees though. To Van, he would be a cap dump and Edler would be replacing him on 2nd pair LD. They could always bring him back next year on a cheaper deal to play 3rd pair LD.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As I said, he's still capable and clearly a good, veteran leader. Doesn't mean he's not 38 year old UFA with bad knees though. To Van, he would be a cap dump and Edler would be replacing him on 2nd pair LD. They could always bring him back next year on a cheaper deal to play 3rd pair LD.

That might help them in the long run, but its too lateral a move for them in their attempt to win now. They need to keep Markov and add to their backline to improve their chances this year.

8 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

That might help them in the long run, but its too lateral a move for them in their attempt to win now. They need to keep Markov and add to their backline to improve their chances this year.

Adding would be ideal, but they're going to have to move cap somewhere. Markov seems the most likely IMO...

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Adding would be ideal, but they're going to have to move cap somewhere. Markov seems the most likely IMO...

I agree, but that's why in my original post I said I don't actually see it happening because they don't really have anyone they can cap dump without losing an asset helping them this year. They might as well go with Markov and just tinker with guys like Burrows. 

Just now, Tower102 said:

I agree, but that's why in my original post I said I don't actually see it happening because they don't really have anyone they can cap dump without losing an asset helping them this year. They might as well go with Markov and just tinker with guys like Burrows. 

Likely.

Also likely Edler doesn't ask to be traded/waive.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't see it - he's still producing at a 0.6 pace.  Their 1st PP unit runs through him.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't see it - he's still producing at a 0.6 pace.  Their 1st PP unit runs through him.

4 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Very unrealistic but…. why not

Sedins (50%) + Edler + Burrows + Brisebois for Sergachev + 1st round pick + Plekanec + Markov + Desharnais

Canucks send

7 + 5 + 4.5  =16.5 cap  

MTL sends

6 + 5.75 +3.5 = 15.25 cap

If Markov is a needed, you can almost swap him and emelin for each other and MTL would still be just under the cap. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Markov hasn't missed a game because of his knees since before the lockout.  Prior to this season he missed 2 games in the last 3 seasons. This year he was out with a groin injury. How many games has Edler missed in that same time period? Markov at this point in time is a better, far more reliable defender than Edler. 

Also worth mentioning. Markov has a modified NTC that allows him to name 12 teams he won't accept a trade to. Couple that with the fact that he just went to Russia to pick up his kids because their Mother just died and I doubt very much that Montreal would try to trade him, or that he would accept a trade to Vancouver to be a rental on a team that very likely will be out of the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Too bad...tanev/Edler are the most logical on the blue line

This only means presently. As in at the TDL. This doesn't mean a D won't be dealt in the summer before expansion. IMO Tanev or Sbisa are most likely.

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, a bit unrealistic. We could take Markov back and retain 50% on Burr but I'd probably want more than just Serg then. Serg and a 2nd at least.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

If Edler and Burr gets us Markov and Sergachev I take it. Similarly for if Edler gets us Markov and a 1st. But Edler probably isn't looking to waive (and Montreal isn't going to accept that in any event).

Archived