The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Tampa Bay trade G Ben Bishop to Los Angeles

HowYaDrouin

3 hours ago, mll said:

Scoring has to come from within - apparently Lombardi does not plan on making any further moves. 

LA is hedging its bets. Getting some goal depth to bolster a playoff run if they make it.  The trade is relatively minor. If LA gets in, they are still capable of doing damage.  They have been the only 8th seed to win the cup out of the west. Added plus, the NHL loves to have major US markets go deep in the playoffs. 

13 hours ago, Hockey Stache said:

Do you know if LA even wanted Miller? Do you know what they offered for Miller if interested? Boy, Alf you have really become a pessimistic furball lately. I think a return to Melmack would do you womders.

I don't think he could find his butt with both hands and a flashlight. How could he ever find his way back to Melmack? :lol:

11 hours ago, theminister said:

I think you really need to re-think or re-read what you are responding to because the logic of your statement is completely lacking. 

If the Canucks trade Miller at a $3.0 mil cap hit for Bernier, and his $4.15 mil cap hit, then that becomes a savings of  $1.15 mil for ANA while upgrading their G position. That alone is worth a B prospect and/or a 2nd round pick. 

Then add in the upgrade of Hansen to their roster, without taking away anything from it, for what effectively becomes a $1.35 mil cap hit, then that as well easily becomes worth a middling pick, say a 3rd minimum, and another B prospect. Especially when you consider having Hansen claimed in the ED would save them Silfverberg, or vice versa, then it also an insurance policy, a cheap one, for next season.

So, if you think that Miller at half price combined with Hansen doesn't net you two of the middle group of the prospects I listed plus at least a 3rd, and I have been being conservative, then I suggest your evaluation of the market is completely out of synch with reality. 

Saying that, it hinges on ANA being both on their lists and them having interest in the players, which I think are both highly likely, and the Canucks deciding to go that way.

But, IMO, the return you suggested makes little justifiable sense.

As noted above, not fine for cap.... saving cap of $1.15 mil.

Well now you are assuming that Benning eats half of Miller's contact and that's where your arguement dies....imo. 

Miller makes 6

Hansen makes 2.5

Bernier is at 4.5

Stoner is just over 3

Here is a bit of reality as well.....if it was as simple as YOU mapped out, it already would've been done by now.....am I correct?

One trend I'm also noticing is that teams aren't parting with prospects. Certainly not the top prospects that Benning might hold out for for Hansen. What prospect would Anaheim offer? We don't know. Perhaps not any of the names you've listed

Bishop didn't exactly fetch a top pick or prospect as well so there is that.

Those are the over looked realities

I'm not tryin to be prickly and I too want to see the great returns for these guys but I just don't see it at this time....by Weds, I hope I'm wrong

4 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well now you are assuming that Benning eats half of Miller's contact and that's where your arguement dies....imo. 

Miller makes 6

Hansen makes 2.5

Bernier is at 4.5

Stoner is just over 3

Here is a bit of reality as well.....if it was as simple as YOU mapped out, it already would've been done by now.....am I correct?

One trend I'm also noticing is that teams aren't parting with prospects. Certainly not the top prospects that Benning might hold out for for Hansen. What prospect would Anaheim offer? We don't know. Perhaps not any of the names you've listed

Bishop didn't exactly fetch a top pick or prospect as well so there is that.

Those are the over looked realities

I'm not tryin to be prickly and I too want to see the great returns for these guys but I just don't see it at this time....by Weds, I hope I'm wrong

We can keep 1/2 of Millers cap hit, but even then ANA may not see him as enough of an upgrade over Bernier to make a deal with us swapping Miller for Bernier + picks/prospects. I think goaltending will be ANAs undoing in the playoffs, and they are losing their window fast.

Not trading for Miller is a mistake by ANA imo, but this whole NHL trade market is about the goofiest and imperfect market there is, nothing really has to make sense. Hanzal went for too much, Bishop for too little, and guys that should be moved probably won't be.

38 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

We can keep 1/2 of Millers cap hit, but even then ANA may not see him as enough of an upgrade over Bernier to make a deal with us swapping Miller for Bernier + picks/prospects. I think goaltending will be ANAs undoing in the playoffs, and they are losing their window fast.

Not trading for Miller is a mistake by ANA imo, but this whole NHL trade market is about the goofiest and imperfect market there is, nothing really has to make sense. Hanzal went for too much, Bishop for too little, and guys that should be moved probably won't be.

I think the most Anaheim coughs up for Miller is a conditional 5th depending on how many games Miller actually plays

Anaheim doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd but that 2nd could end up a 1st depending on how far they get in the playoffs.

Just now, missioncanucksfan said:

I think the most Anaheim coughs up for Miller is a conditional 5th depending on how many games Miller actually plays

Anaheim doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd but that 2nd could end up a 1st depending on how far they get in the playoffs.

yah it has to be a 2018 pick or a prospect. 

3 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

And then we have another situation like this.

Miller had handed his list in at the start of every season and Canucks could've traded him longggggg ago. 

But no no..."Like, there is like....still a chance we can like.....make the playoffs."

that looks like a quality hockey source right there

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Is OTT close enough to California for Miller???:huh:

Brent WallaceVerified account‏@tsn_wally  3m3 minutes ago

Andrew Hammond has a torn labrum in his right hip and will need surgery. He will not play the rest of the season Expected 12 week recovery

isn't Hammond in the AHL?

Bishop going to LA might have been a chess move to prevent the team they are chasing (Calgary) from getting him.  Calgary has gone after Bishop before and if they had solidified their goaltending they might have been a lot harder to catch down the stretch.  Sure Elliot is playing better, but hes had stretches where hes lights out, and other stretches where he looks like Martin Brochu.  

Regarding Miller - I doubt he is going anywhere.  I even think they will try to re-sign him here next year.  Demko isnt ready.  Who will be in tandem with Markstrom?  They will get him  (Miller) for a lot cheaper maybe for 2  more years?

Millsy deserves a Cup and he would have to go move elsewhere to another team if wants that opportunity. Ottawa could potentially be interested but they have Condon so not sure how it would work out. Our only shot is trading with Anaheim yet again. He wants to be near his wife and he will get that opportunity there. Burr could also lure a solid haul while Millsy might get a similar return to Bishop's. honestly I see Montreal having to make a move and Burr will them make a deep run and he also deserves the Cup. It's just whether the Habs will be willing to pay

Archived