The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

My favourite thing about this year for Dahlen is that he is learning to drive the bus. Last year, he could let Pettersson do that from time to time. This year he has to do it every game. It will make his transition to the NHL much faster. Bo took about 2 years of pro to learn how to drive play, and Baertschi is still figuring it out. 

I think Dahlen can come in and be an impact player as early as next year. Top 9 winger who is a 15 and 15 guy.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:18 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Petersson Gaudette Boeser 

Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Granulnd Sutter Gagner 

Gaunce MacEwen Virtanen 

I would take Sven over Goldie Gaunce and Gags and MacEwen. Talk about the most underrated guy on the team. All he has done is improve to the point where in the last 2 seasons pro-rated he is over A 20 goal scorer and close to A 50 point or more guy, What has Goldie earned? Gaunce, I like the kid but he is A above average AHLER at best. Gags sucks. Mac is A project who is 2-3 years away if he even pans out. And what about if we're in the top 5this year and draft one of the big 3 forwards? id imagine they would all be NHL ready by next year. CDC and their fascination with shiny new toy syndrome, over A proven 20-25 goal scorer and 20-30 assist guy. Who will probably be even better next year considering his trending up the last 2 seasons? Plus don't forget about Kane. We all know this is going to happen. And Louie has to be on the team. He A full NMC Cant be waived cant be bought out till after next year. And a buyout I doubt would happen. Maybe A trade with us retaining 3 million just to get A space available. Like him or not, A 6 million dollar guy is not spending 82 games sitting in the press box. Think of the antics and how that would look to potential UFA,s that JB targets in the future. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Does Dahlen have NHL comparables? Projected skill level. I want to believe he can play on the top line. I really hope his skill translates well. 

Would Alex Nylander be a reasonable comparison? 

I think he,s better. Not A fan at all of any of the Nylanders Willy has regressed a lot this year. His bro cant even crack Buffalo and that's saying something 

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Does Dahlen have NHL comparables? Projected skill level. I want to believe he can play on the top line. I really hope his skill translates well. 

Would Alex Nylander be a reasonable comparison? 

Well Alex Nylander isn’t even an NHLer. If you meant Willaim I think William has more skill but Dahlen plays a better fast tenacious game. Somebody on these forums tossed out a Victor Arvidsson comparable which I can see in his play style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 22/02/2018 at 11:32 PM, kenhodgejr said:

I also thought that Dahlen was specifically a LW until I was checking how to spell his name properly and saw that he shoots right. Pettersson has played in all three positions. I have a feeling he might be more successful as a winger who doesnt have to fight the big centres in the league like Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc.. Horvat can go up against anyone but on a good team I see him being an ideal 2nd line centre. I agree that Dahlen has first line potential but I think its more important that Boeser has players who can pass him the puck. I think ideally Pettersson proves me wrong and takes the #1 centre position with Dahlen and Boeser as wingers solidifying our first line. 

I think Lind will be a second liner as well. He has incredible passing/ play making skills and an edge to go with it. A lot of people have Gaudette pencilled in as a solid 3 line centre who brings offence and an edge but I think he could be more.  The last guy who dominated college hockey that much was Brock Boeser. Gaudette has a drive to win. He wills things to happen. He might not be as flashy as Pettersson or Boeser but he also might be the guy were looking for on the first line. Then there is Goldobin who has showed flashes of brilliant skill. We have a bunch prospects with top 6 potential and it seems like a pretty good problem to have. I think only time will tell untill we know what we have with these prospects. 

I think Zack MacEwen has gone somewhat under the radar. He skates very well for a big guy and can chip in offensively. He also fights when needed. Similar to a Zack Kassian. He is having a really impressive first season in the AHL.  I have high hopes that he can join the new core we build. 

I am really excited to see the transition of these players and others that we continue to draft onto our team. 

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser 

Goldobin Horvat Lind 

Gadjovich Gaudette Lockwood 

Archibald MacEwen Virtanen                 

Juolevi  Bouchard 

Tyramkin  Stetcher

McEneny Foote 

Assuming we take Evan Bouchard and trade Edler for Cal Foote. 

I somehow have this feeling that Dahlen will work well with Horvat too. Horvat with his ability to drive the net and Dahlen's ability to play the net game will make the duo hard to defend against. 

For Boeser, I agree that he is a better fit with an elite playmaker like Pettersson that can set him up for a shot. This line will need a puck hound as the third guy. I don't know who that will be. If Virtanen develops properly and learns to initiate and win 50-50 puck battles, then he is a candidate since he has so much speed and acceleration coupled with the size that he can sneak up on opponents and use his body to initiate puck battles.

Ideal situation has us drafting a #1 dman in 2018, and probably a forward in 2019 so by 2020, this gives us top two lines of,

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Dahlen-Horvat-2019 draft pick/UFA

This gives us two decent scoring lines and ideally, 2019 draft pick is another game breaker. If not, we may need to achieve this through UFA signing. Of course, if in next season, Goldobin and/or Baertschi breaks out, things may look quite a bit different. And of course, Virtanen may never develop enough to play a first line role, supplementary role though it is. But I think we already have 4 out of 6 pieces for balanced scoring lines. 

Bottom 6 is going to be a mix of youth and vets.

Among the vets, I think Sutter and Eriksson will still be around. Eriksson will be hard to trade and I think he will still be effective defensively to be of use. Green said he sees Granlund as a bottom 6 player, so there is also a good chance that he will be around as well. For Gaunce, I think there is only about 50% chance that he will be around. Also, it's hard to imagine Archibald being here 2 years from now. I like the guy so I hope he is here but on a deeper team, I don't see a spot for him.

Among the youth, Lind and Gaudette are highly likely to make the team. Gadjovich also has a good chance due to his size and play style. Cole Cassels has a shot now, a small chance but he is putting himself back on the map.

And of course, one of Dowd, Motte, Leipsic may stick around as well. 

Sutter

Lind

Gaudette

Eriksson

Gadjovich

Granlund

-------

Gaunce

Motte/Leipsic/Dowd

Cassels

6 hours ago, bp79 said:

I would take Sven over Goldie Gaunce and Gags and MacEwen. Talk about the most underrated guy on the team. All he has done is improve to the point where in the last 2 seasons pro-rated he is over A 20 goal scorer and close to A 50 point or more guy, What has Goldie earned? Gaunce, I like the kid but he is A above average AHLER at best. Gags sucks. Mac is A project who is 2-3 years away if he even pans out. And what about if we're in the top 5this year and draft one of the big 3 forwards? id imagine they would all be NHL ready by next year. CDC and their fascination with shiny new toy syndrome, over A proven 20-25 goal scorer and 20-30 assist guy. Who will probably be even better next year considering his trending up the last 2 seasons? Plus don't forget about Kane. We all know this is going to happen. And Louie has to be on the team. He A full NMC Cant be waived cant be bought out till after next year. And a buyout I doubt would happen. Maybe A trade with us retaining 3 million just to get A space available. Like him or not, A 6 million dollar guy is not spending 82 games sitting in the press box. Think of the antics and how that would look to potential UFA,s that JB targets in the future. 

Never mind Gaudette at 1C. I mean I love the kid and he's a good prospect but come on CDC, that's beyond optimistic. 

Solid, middle 6 with a hell of a motor. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Think Dahlen will be bouncing back and forth between Utica and Van next year, similar to Goldie this year. It’s clear he doesn’t have anything else to prove in Sweden, once again being one of the top scorers in the league and being the offensive driver of his team. I think it would be better for his development to play in North America next year. Top line for the Comets and injury Fill in for the Canucks. Next year is his D+3 year so NHL tweener is right on track for his development IMO. Anyone know if this guy plays C as well? If he does, would like to see him play top 6 C in Utica, as we don’t have anyone good play making centre down there

Edited by Canadian Clay

2 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Think Dahlen will be bouncing back and forth between Utica and Van next year, similar to Goldie this year. It’s clear he doesn’t have anything else to prove in Sweden, once again being one of the top scorers in the league and being the offensive driver of his team. I think it would be better for his development to play in North America next year. Top line for the Comets and injury Fill in for the Canucks. Next year is his D+3 year so NHL tweener is right on track for his development IMO. Anyone know if this guy plays C as well? If he does, would like to see him play top 6 C in Utica, as we don’t have anyone good play making centre down there

I'd wager Motte will be 1C next year and if Pettersson doesn't make the big club, so could he.

11 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Ahhh I see. Didn’t realize motte was a C. Okay well a Utica lone of dahlen - motte - macewen could be really nice

He’s a C/W but I believe Motte has played mostly LW as a pro. He’s only taken 24 faceoffs in 64 NHL games. He’s also listed as a LW on AHL.com and various news articles from the Chicago and Columbus systems refer to him as a winger.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s a C/W but I believe Motte has played mostly LW as a pro. He’s only taken 24 faceoffs in 64 NHL games. He’s also listed as a LW on AHL.com and various news articles from the Chicago and Columbus systems refer to him as a winger.

Depending on Pettersson being in the NHL/AHL though, we may lack C depth in Utica. I could see them playing him there IMO. That said, this summer could change a lot of things too...

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He is mostly a winger, similar to Gaunce in that way. 

8 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He is mostly a winger, similar to Gaunce in that way. 

Yeah, even back in college, I’m pretty sure he was playing wing on that CCM line with Compher and Connor. 

But @aGENT is right about Utica and our centre depth in the system. Could be he’s needed down the middle, depending on what the roster looks like.