The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So when can we get that roster spot back? We have enough real PKers now.

As soon as we are ready to give up picks and prospects for someone to take him. I'd say at the earliest it'll be 2 years, when his contract becomes modified NTC instead of a straight up NTC. His base salary will also be a bit lower (4mil in the final 2 years), so any potential teams that aren't on his 15 team no trade list that are cheap will only have to pay him 4mil. Retaining salary would make it even better too. Contract is getting less and less defendable quicker and quicker. :unsure: 

• Wat 3

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like McMaster too, but isn’t he a couple years older than Dahlen?  I think he’s better than Goldobin though, and they are the same age.  

I'm not putting MacMaster in the same category of a prospect as Goldobin or Dahlen but for an undrafted kid on an AHL contract I think he has upside and may surprise a lot of people. Anxious to see him play a full season and to see how durable he will be.  He is not very big but plays a very physical game.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I'm not putting MacMaster in the same category of a prospect as Goldobin or Dahlen but for an undrafted kid on an AHL contract I think he has upside and may surprise a lot of people. Anxious to see him play a full season and to see how durable he will be.  He is not very big but plays a very physical game.

I made a mental note to look out for MacMaster going into the Canucks Summer Showdown game. Man, this kid was everywhere. Had the puck a lot, always in the play...hmm.. even seems to be playing for both team white and team blue. That's when I realized there was a McMaster and MacMaster in the game. :lol:

Edited by Pepe Silvia
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I watched 4 Utica-Marlies playoff games in Toronto and this is what I saw as well. Goldobin has high level passing and stick handling ability. This made him dangerous on the powerplay. 5 on 5 however he was useless. Average speed at best (in the AHL), zero hustle to his game, and easily pushed around. 

Dahlen was much quicker and more tenacious but maybe didn't carry the puck much.

One guy to look out for is Tanner Macmaster. Great speed and tenacity. Joined the Comets after his college season ended and scored an impressive 11 points in 18 games. 

I was at one of those games and had the same impression exactly.

Goldobin didn't impress me (just didn't seem to play like he cared), but Dahlen had great hustle. My takeaway was that it was only Dahlen's second game, so I thought he was perhaps deferring to his linemate (Goldobin) instead of creating the play.

I was surprised by that quote by Johnson, I came away thinking that Dahlen was very much in the process of becoming a special player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nzan said:

Goldobin didn't impress me (just didn't seem to play like he cared), but Dahlen had great hustle. My takeaway was that it was only Dahlen's second game, so I thought he was perhaps deferring to his linemate (Goldobin) instead of creating the play.

I was surprised by that quote by Johnson, I came away thinking that Dahlen was very much in the process of becoming a special player.

Kinda how I seen the world junior hockey with the young Swedish forwards avoiding the break out to EP. I just watched USA Sweden again and it seemed more obvious.

19 hours ago, nzan said:

He just needs to work on his first couple steps.  On international ice it's a less significant shortcoming but in the NHL it's extremely useful.  It's also easily corrected so he'll get there. We all know he can skate and a few squats plus some time with a skating coach are all that are required for him to address this.

3 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

He just needs to work on his first couple steps.  On international ice it's a less significant shortcoming but in the NHL it's extremely useful.  It's also easily corrected so he'll get there. We all know he can skate and a few squats plus some time with a skating coach are all that are required for him to address this.

Are you talking about Dahlen or Goldobin? Dahlen's speed was pretty good. Goldobin's scouting reports indicate high end speed but I haven't really seen it in either the AHL or NHL. With San Jose he seemed to score a lot more goals due to his speed. Not sure if perhaps he added bulk and lost a gear? Either way, he needs to change his attitude and come in with intensity or else find himself on waivers. He has skill, but not enough to carry him. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

What do you think the odds are he can push for a roster spot this year.

This kid looks like he’s got the skill and drive to make the team do you think he can turns some heads at camp?

On this team 50/50, Benning seems prepared to let these guys develop more which so far is working out (Boeser).  Dahlen looks to have a great chance at a solid (or better) NHL career, what he acccomplished was overshadowed by Pettersson, but didn't go unnoticed, he's got a ton of upside and it wouldn't surprise to see him on the wing on the top line in two years.

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I definitely think he has a chance, just not sure if the spots are there for Dahlén to be on the opening roster. I’d put it somewhere below a 25% chance (if forced to guess at odds). I do, however, think there’s a very good chance we’ll see him at some point this season, but more likely it’ll be after Christmas (unless there are a lot of injuries and we need bodies).

I also think Dahlén is probably better served starting in Utica. Last year, part of the reason he went back to Sweden was that he felt overwhelmed by the pace of the North American game. Ryan Johnson talked about how humbled Dahlén was by his first experiences with Utica during AHL preseason. And how Dahlén himself said he just wasn’t ready. He didn’t fully appreciate how much less time and space he’d have on North American ice and it was a big adjustment for him. Even during his late season stint, you could tell that JD was feeling his way through the games and trying to figure things out.

Personally, I think he should get a minimum of another 20 AHL games before moving up. Possibly a whole season with Utica. But more likely he joins the Canucks sometime during the 2nd half of the 2018-19 season.

There’s certainly no rush. And once he’s ready, he’ll be joining Vancouver for the long haul. Dahlén is definitely going to be a good NHL player. But he probably still needs some time to fully acclimate to the NA game. And he also needs to continue to work on a few things (like the explosiveness and neutral zone separation that RJ mentioned in the quote posted earlier in this thread).

This is the first time I've heard someone say he was overwhelmed by the North American game.  He went back because he had Mono abd was unable to catch up with his training.  I could be wrong but that has always been the explanation I have heard. :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

This is the first time I've heard someone say he was overwhelmed by the North American game.  He went back because he had Mono abd was unable to catch up with his training.  I could be wrong but that has always been the explanation I have heard. :)

The Organisation has done a great job of keeping this info 'in the house'.

The last thing Dahlen would have needed was the fans and press alike slaughtering him, if his confidence was in pieces.

Hopefully the plan have worked out, and his talent shines through.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The Organisation has done a great job of keeping this info 'in the house'.

The last thing Dahlen would have needed was the fans and press alike slaughtering him, if his confidence was in pieces.

Hopefully the plan have worked out, and his talent shines through.

The truth is even HHOF guys go through this once or twice...the Sedins did early on post draft at a prospects game where Joe Thornton basically had his way with them (and everyone else), and I read that it was hard for them at the time.  Again when they first started in the NHL there were times they questioned if they would stay or even survive...of course they did.  Dahlen will be fine, might take him some time to get acclimated, but once he does he will do well and his skill will shine through, but as fans it's important to remember to be patient with these guys and understand some won't make it, and some that weren't expected to do much will also sneak up and win a roster spot.   Dahlen probably worked his butt off this summer and will come in guns a blazing, but it's not the end of the world if he needs a full year in the AHL before getting his first NHL game either.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I definitely think he has a chance, just not sure if the spots are there for Dahlén to be on the opening roster. I’d put it somewhere below a 25% chance (if forced to guess at odds). I do, however, think there’s a very good chance we’ll see him at some point this season, but more likely it’ll be after Christmas (unless there are a lot of injuries and we need bodies).

I also think Dahlén is probably better served starting in Utica. Last year, part of the reason he went back to Sweden was that he felt overwhelmed by the pace of the North American game. Ryan Johnson talked about how humbled Dahlén was by his first experiences with Utica during AHL preseason. And how Dahlén himself said he just wasn’t ready. He didn’t fully appreciate how much less time and space he’d have on North American ice and it was a big adjustment for him. Even during his late season stint, you could tell that JD was feeling his way through the games and trying to figure things out.

Personally, I think he should get a minimum of another 20 AHL games before moving up. Possibly a whole season with Utica. But more likely he joins the Canucks sometime during the 2nd half of the 2018-19 season.

There’s certainly no rush. And once he’s ready, he’ll be joining Vancouver for the long haul. Dahlén is definitely going to be a good NHL player. But he probably still needs some time to fully acclimate to the NA game. And he also needs to continue to work on a few things (like the explosiveness and neutral zone separation that RJ mentioned in the quote posted earlier in this thread).

I just really hope if he shows up big at camp management isn’t afraid to sit Loui, Gagne, Shaller or any other vets he out proformed. Please Out with the old in with the new!

• Upvote 1

He will make the team out of camp. He is way better than Gagne and it will be very noticeable. And he is a very fast player deceptively fast, He can blow around guys. Management is prepared to ice the best team and they have proven that in the past, We may lose a few players to waivers or have a few higher paid players in the AHL. But the Canucks have the money to do that, they will be way better than most predict.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He will make the team out of camp. He is way better than Gagne and it will be very noticeable. And he is a very fast player deceptively fast, He can blow around guys. Management is prepared to ice the best team and they have proven that in the past, We may lose a few players to waivers or have a few higher paid players in the AHL. But the Canucks have the money to do that, they will be way better than most predict.

I personally have my doubts that he will make the team right out of camp even if he has a very good one. I fully expect him to be in Utica for a length of time to see how well, and how quickly, he can adapt to the NA game. That being said; I bet he gets called up after the Christmas break if he is doing well on the farm club.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

On 20/08/2018 at 11:58 AM, IBatch said:

The truth is even HHOF guys go through this once or twice...the Sedins did early on post draft at a prospects game where Joe Thornton basically had his way with them (and everyone else), and I read that it was hard for them at the time.  Again when they first started in the NHL there were times they questioned if they would stay or even survive...of course they did.  Dahlen will be fine, might take him some time to get acclimated, but once he does he will do well and his skill will shine through, but as fans it's important to remember to be patient with these guys and understand some won't make it, and some that weren't expected to do much will also sneak up and win a roster spot.   Dahlen probably worked his butt off this summer and will come in guns a blazing, but it's not the end of the world if he needs a full year in the AHL before getting his first NHL game either.

Good post and totally agree. 

The highlighted part in particular. There are endless bust posts here about players who didn't break through in their year 1+, 2+ etc... absolute nonsense...

The world is full of 'what have you done for me lately' or more like 'what haven't you done for me lately'... and funnily enough its often from the same people, who wanted to build the team through drafting.

I am glad the club kept this information within, as I could easily see the next headline in the local press afterwards....and I don't see it being confidence building one...

• Upvote 2