The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

Yeah, maybe it was a little harsh commenting on Gaunce's work ethic. I have no idea how hard he works at improving his game. I wanted Gaunce to do well, and to be a big part of the team, but he hasn't done anything yet to earn that spot. He is pretty good defensively, and maybe if Benning didn't go out and sign more veteran UFAs, Gaunce would have a shot in the bottom 6. He might still get a shot later in the year when injuries hit.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Gaunce took it for granted that he was in the Canucks system, with no other real prospects in his way over the last few years. I question his work ethic.

Some mighty big assumptions there.  From what I've heard (and seen) BG always comes to camp in top condition.

A young player with size like that should've been way more hungry. Now, he is being passed by Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Leipsic and Gaudette.

He's certainly not competing with Pettersson, Dahlen or Goldobin, who are top 6 guys and I don't see Gaudette playing 4th LW.  I would say his main competition is Schaller, who is injured right now.  I'm quite certain that Gaunce has been well aware of his precarious situation and has been working hard to improve his game this summer.

It would be great if Dahlen and Pettersson made the team at the same time. They've already got great chemistry, why break that up? Would like to see them start the year on the 3rd line with Beagle as their C. They would be somewhat sheltered here, and could learn from a SC Champ right from the get-go.

I'm sure they'll be given plenty of opportunities to team up together during trading camp.  The big question is whether these young prospects will be able to play out an 82 game season in the best league in the world.  Does JB risk trading an NHL vet only to have a rookie 'peter out' half way through the season?  Or, does he have them percolating in the AHL and bring them up during the season? 

I think we'll see Pettersson and maybe Gaudette make the team out of training camp and then others will follow in the new year.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, if he's been giving it 100% over the years, then he's just not a very good player. He might be a good depth player on another team. But who knows. Maybe he worked his butt off in the off season and comes back with more bite and some offence in his game. Camp will tell all.  

I remember last year he was near the top in fitness testing. I think he just lacks the skills and skating to be anything more than a fourth liner. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Although I think questioning his work ethic might be a little harsh, I do think one can hypothesize that he subconsciously took the lack of competition for granted (this can be natural for even the best of them - of course, this can never be proven, but complacency is a real thing in any profession. Thankfully, our management has created an environment that discourages complacent behaviour (Are you listening, Goldie, Baer, Granny?). 

I, personally, just think he's not that good compared to our new prospects, and that he will be passed very soon by someone. But, he could surprise and be a late bloomer, and I would be fine with that and happy if it happens. 

Burrows compares Baer's drive to Horvat's.  WD says that he was never as hard on Baer as he was on himself and that sometimes he gets in his own way because he is so hard on himself.  He says he had time for Baer because he never complained and just went to work.  Green says of all the players he had in Portland no one worked harder than him.  

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

Burrows compares Baer's drive to Horvat's.  WD says that he was never as hard on Baer as he was on himself and that sometimes he gets in his own way because he is so hard on himself.  He says he had time for Baer because he never complained and just went to work.  Green says of all the players he had in Portland no one worked harder than him.  

I'll have to take your word on what these guys have said about him. I do think he works hard, but I still think he will need to work even harder to keep his spot long term. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, maybe it was a little harsh commenting on Gaunce's work ethic. I have no idea how hard he works at improving his game. I wanted Gaunce to do well, and to be a big part of the team, but he hasn't done anything yet to earn that spot. He is pretty good defensively, and maybe if Benning didn't go out and sign more veteran UFAs, Gaunce would have a shot in the bottom 6. He might still get a shot later in the year when injuries hit.

He lead the entire NHL in defensive zone starts, on a terrible team, yet finished even. He plays a very detailed game and is hugely underrated. He didn't get many offensive opportunities but still scored close to a 10 goal pace which is what you want from your 4th liners. 

If he played centre and was great at faceoffs it would drastically improve his value IMO. The year he took the most faceoffs he was 51.2% so he might not be bad given the opportunity to take more draws. I think he is somewhat comparable to Jay Beagle. Jay didn't even have 10 career NHL goals until he was 27 and didn't have a 5 goal or 10 point season until 28 where he broke out with 10/10. I like Gaunce and would like to see him stay healthy and perhaps develop into a more valuable bottom 6 player. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He hasn’t been passed by anyone yet. 

Training camp hasn’t even started. 

A rookie camp means nothing more than a little hype for the new kids.  

Guance has just as much of a chance as all of them 

Gaunce has been totally passed. Gaunce doesn't have the talent to play in the NHL at least with the depth the Canucks have. And if he gets a sniff again its totally because of injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Gaunce has been totally passed. Gaunce doesn't have the talent to play in the NHL at least with the depth the Canucks have. And if he gets a sniff again its totally because of injuries. 

None of that is true..... yet.  

No camp yet, no one has passed him.   

Doesnt have nhl talent?   He played last year in the NHL.  He doesn’t score, but he is a defensively talented 4th liner.  

He he knows the youth is coming. Do you really think he is just sitting on his thumbs waiting to lose his job? 

I’d put money on him busting his ass and coming to camp ready to compete.  

Sure, he might get beaten out, but he also isn’t competing for any of the same jobs as the kids.  

He is going against the 3 new FA signings 

• Upvote 1

Just now, drummerboy said:

None of that is true..... yet.  

No camp yet, no one has passed him.   

Doesnt have nhl talent?   He played last year in the NHL.  He doesn’t score, but he is a defensively talented 4th liner.  

He he knows the youth is coming. Do you really think he is just sitting on his thumbs waiting to lose his job? 

I’d put money on him busting his ass and coming to camp ready to compete.  

Sure, he might get beaten out, but he also isn’t competing for any of the same jobs as the kids.  

He is going against the 3 new FA signings 

True camp hasn't happened yet. So where do you pen him in and who does he beat out? If he manages to be great defensively is that enough? I really doubt he can turn the corner. Usually you get some indication when a player plays a year, and many skilled players never get the second chance. I am convinced Gaunce is done

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

True camp hasn't happened yet. So where do you pen him in and who does he beat out? If he manages to be great defensively is that enough? I really doubt he can turn the corner. Usually you get some indication when a player plays a year, and many skilled players never get the second chance. I am convinced Gaunce is done

Benning may have answered your question by signing Schaller.

Utica is going to be stacked. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cory40 said:

I personally, don’t know if he makes the team or not, but it is ignorant to say he is done before even going through camp.  

Chances are he is going into camp ready to fight for a spot.  

And is being great defensively enough to have an NHL career?

Ask Manny that question.  

• Upvote 1