The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

I feel for the kid, I really do.  As a forward he gets punished for being invisible in the defensive zone yet we have a few forwards that are completely invisible in the offensive end and are average at best defending.  I still go back to the argument that not every dam forward needs to be a Selke candidate.  Now I don't know what goes on at practice or behind the scenes but put this kid back in ffs, there are a handful of players that could sit for a bit, especially after last night. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see him being offered to different teams for a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder. May be a better fit on a team that is looking for only his offensive skills and can afford to cover his lack of defensive awareness, which unfortunately is not the Canucks at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I thought his lack of ice time was related to his atrocious defensive play also. what is it about then?

Puck pursuit/attack/battle.

That's certainly a part of 'defensive play' but it has zilch to do with making him in to a 'Selke candidate'.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Puck pursuit/attack/battle.

That's certainly a part of 'defensive play' but it has zilch to do with making him in to a 'Selke candidate'.

I took tre mac's comment on " not every dam forward needs to be a selke candidate as obvious sarcasm. Which leads me to believe it is about his defensive play  (play without the puck) that is keeping Goldys butt parked on the bench. 

7 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I took tre mac's comment on " not every dam forward needs to be a selke candidate as obvious sarcasm. Which leads me to believe it is about his defensive play  (play without the puck) that is keeping Goldys butt parked on the bench. 

He lacks battle/pursuit etc with and without the puck and in all three zones. It's not as simple as just his 'defensive game'. If he wants to be an NHL player, he needs to up his compete level. Period.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was kind of disappointed to hear Benning seem to say today that he will not be trading Goldy and that they want to be patient.

I think they have been patient and, as many here have stated, Goldy just doesn't seem to have that spark in him to fight hard all the time. I think he needs a change and the team needs a change.

Oh well...goldy better get his act together.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was kind of disappointed to hear Benning seem to say today that he will not be trading Goldy and that they want to be patient.

I think they have been patient and, as many here have stated, Goldy just doesn't seem to have that spark in him to fight hard all the time. I think he needs a change and the team needs a change.

Same can be said for Virtanen, Schaller, Granlund, Guddy, Pouliout, Hutton, Sutter

On 1/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, Tre Mac said:

I feel for the kid, I really do.  As a forward he gets punished for being invisible in the defensive zone yet we have a few forwards that are completely invisible in the offensive end and are average at best defending.  I still go back to the argument that not every dam forward needs to be a Selke candidate.  Now I don't know what goes on at practice or behind the scenes but put this kid back in ffs, there are a handful of players that could sit for a bit, especially after last night. 

Not being completely inept without the puck and refusing to battle =/= Selke Candidate. 

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed, but there is something about Goldy’s personality that has me liking him, and hoping he stays.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Tre Mac said:

Boeser's quote to Kuzma in the Province last month sums it up. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-speed-skills-are-good-but-can-canucks-win-in-long-run-with-goldobin

“It’s a matter of coming to the rink every day and wanting to work hard,” said winger Brock Boeser. “You look for that. I remember my time with the Sedins last year and how hard they worked. You look at that work ethic and you have to have it to stay in the NHL.

“Goldy has amazing skill, but you have to know when to pressure guys and make sure you’re competing every shift. You see Petey blocking shots and causing turnovers and getting us odd-man scoring chances going the other way.”

28 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

He’s still young, if he can put it together he can easily be a 60 point forward in his prime. Just has to keep his effort levels up. Him scoring a goal last game will be huge for his confidence. I think we see one of his best games tonight. 

50 for sure. Right now he's at a 1/2ppg so with just a little more consistency he could be a very good player. Hopefully last game is a sign he's got his focus correct now. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

50 for sure. Right now he's at a 1/2ppg so with just a little more consistency he could be a very good player. Hopefully last game is a sign he's got his focus correct now. 

I 'm really pulling for Goldy to figure it out.  Yes he makes some bonehead plays and has been inconsistent but he has exceptional offensive talents/instincts and can  gain entry and control the puck in the offensive zone better than any of our guys except Petey.  If he can grasp the rest of the game, he will be a force for us.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I see a Goldy that IS putting in the effort to do what the coaches are asking of him. I see him battling harder, staying creative, and hustling back.

Certainly last game was encouraging.  If he can bring that every game, he should become a top 6 fixture. Fingers crossed.