The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't disagree.  I'm thankful we're not stuck paying Goldy 7 million per for the next decade, like some eastern team just did with a very similar player. 

Difference being that Nylander has otherwise put up good points consistently. From a playoff perspective though, I feel Nylander is indeed the kind of player who won't contribute in spades unless he changes his play.  Seems a lot to pay for one dimension but that's what points do for a career.

Just now, kloubek said:

Difference being that Nylander has otherwise put up good points consistently. From a playoff perspective though, I feel Nylander is indeed the kind of player who won't contribute in spades unless he changes his play.  Seems a lot to pay for one dimension but that's what points do for a career.

That's why I like how JB does things.  He selects players that fit into the team at a certain pay scale, and are worth it.  He avoids those regular season point producers, who eat up big Cap dollars, but do nothing in the playoffs.  Goldy is actually pretty good for the Cap he's getting.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's why I like how JB does things.  He selects players that fit into the team at a certain pay scale, and are worth it.  He avoids those regular season point producers, who eat up big Cap dollars, but do nothing in the playoffs.  Goldy is actually pretty good for the Cap he's getting.  

Goldy is young.  This is how you develop players.  Ride the pine, figure your game out and then show me what youve got.  His career is in his hands.  His salary is just fine for the opportunity to develop a potential top six - but when his contract comes up at the end of the year, he better not be expecting a payday.  He's clearly bridge contract fodder.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Goldy is young.  This is how you develop players.  Ride the pine, figure your game out and then show me what youve got.  His career is in his hands.  His salary is just fine for the opportunity to develop a potential top six - but when his contract comes up at the end of the year, he better not be expecting a payday.  He's clearly bridge contract fodder.

Canucks might only offer Goldy a one year "show us" deal, much like Hutton got.  It sure worked for Hutton.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I understand this, I'm just saying it's not his shooting and passing that decides whether he's in the lineup or not

but imo if it takes this long to get a player to simply try and work harder, or pick up defensive habits that you learn in minor hockey, it's clear the player just doesn't have it in his DNA.  You either have the fire within you or you don't, it's been 5 years of pro hockey now for Goldobin and it's the same problems every year.  He is simply a placeholder and I can bet JB is trying to trade him or whatever he can right now

If you were coaching or assessing talent then, you'd never pick up on St. Louis, Burrows or Rousell then - and many others.

Progression is the most important. If they DON'T improve in one facet or another, that is an issue. Goldobin and Virtanen are showing SOME signs that they are improving. Whether or not it is enough is an entirely different debate.

So far, both players look like they are working harder. I am hoping Goldobin keeps up his effort because he CANNOT afford to slack off.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, kloubek said:

Totally agree. IMHO Goldy is second only to EP40 in his ability to move the puck. He has to make it as a top 6 player. He is not be pushed by anyone right now but could be next fall. Benning's challenge right now is to monetize his vets and move the youth that are not in the long term plan for return value. Goldy might be one of those who do get moved. By playing him now the Canucks likely increase his value. The decision on Goldy doesn't have to be made until next year. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. IMHO Goldy is second only to EP40 in his ability to move the puck. He has to make it as a top 6 player. He is not be pushed by anyone right now but could be next fall. Benning's challenge right now is to monetize his vets and move the youth that are not in the long term plan for return value. Goldy might be one of those who do get moved. By playing him now the Canucks likely increase his value. The decision on Goldy doesn't have to be made until next year. 

Goldy is not really considered a 'vet'.

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'm not sure what everyone is in a hurry to dump him for? He has next to no trade value at the moment. I mean by all means if we can package him + another guy for an upgrade, sure but to just dump him for like a 4th or something... don't see it. May as well hang on to him, keep working with him and hope he figures it out.

If not, you can always dump him for peanuts or let him walk next year when we hopefully have other guys pushing for his spot, as you noted.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Goldy is not really considered a 'vet'.

I don't consider Goldy as a vet. Not sure why you say that. He is one of the younger players who might be monetized by improving his value by playing him until the decision is made whether to keep him or not. 

His disengaged play is definitely frustrating but he's been better since his most recent time in the press box.  The last two games in which we carried the balance of play but couldn't quite score when we had to show that we still need more skill on the wings.  Maybe Goldy isn't the long-term solution but his awareness of where his team mates are and his touch passing are second on the team only to Petterson.  Yes, he needs to score more as well as increase his compete level, but I'm glad management are still working to bring him around.  He could still become the player they were hoping for. 

Don't want to jinx it but I thought Goldy finished strong last game against Chicago. 

I love how green is handling him though, he had a miserable first period and start of the second, and Green sat him. Sat him for the first part of the third too, but then looked to give him more more chance close to midway through, and the message obviously got through. Played the hell out of Goldy for the lat bit of the third with Horvat and it almost paid off. 

With a previous coach his punishment would have been to stick him on the fourth line and expect him to succeed regardless. Green is showing tough love but its obvious its starting to get through. 

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Goldy is too weak and has no drive to play hard. I know JB said they will give him more rope but I wish they would cut him loose and try to get another prospect for him. 

The kid that was chasing down pucks, pinning guys against the boards behind the net that led to Zac Mac getting his first career point? The one that actually made our second line a threat vs Chicago and Calgary?

That no drive kid?

You sure you didn't mix him up with JV firing shots into shin pads at the blue line after he gains the zone/ passes the puck to the other team/ over skates the puck

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

They both just sit there looking dumbfounded half the time. Goldy just chews on his mouthguard dreaming of lamborghini's and pretty girls and Jake just straight up doesn't ever know what's going on.  Young players are supposed to bring energy, these guys continuously just suck the life out of the team.  

Goldy chases down a puck once a game, good for him. 

Goldy + Jake for Huberdeau + cap dump?  

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

They both just sit there looking dumbfounded half the time. Goldy just chews on his mouthguard dreaming of lamborghini's and pretty girls and Jake just straight up doesn't ever know what's going on.  Young players are supposed to bring energy, these guys continuously just suck the life out of the team.  

Goldy chases down a puck once a game, good for him. 

Mmm... pretty girls...

Sorry, you were saying how Beagle, Motte, and Eriksson were standing there looking dumbfounded on that first goal last night..? Or...