The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've only watched the 2nd period, but Goldobin has looked pretty good. Snipe on the powerplay on a very good release and then created the turnover on Sutter's goal. Set up Dowd on the same shift who missed it. He's chased the puck and looked dynamic in the offensive zone. 

Right now, I'd probably say keep Goldobin up for the rest of the year, but make sure he get's down to Utica for the Playoffs.

I remember watching him against the Marlies in the season opener here in Toronto. He was useless unless you serve the puck to him on the silver platter. Now? That was a great turnover that lead to the Sutter goal. And he is so smooth and calm with the puck. I say when he has the puck he is better than Baertschi. If he keeps improving on his play without the puck he would be a great top 6 player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

I remember watching him against the Marlies in the season opener here in Toronto. He was useless unless you serve the puck to him on the silver platter. Now? That was a great turnover that lead to the Sutter goal. And he is so smooth and calm with the puck. I say when he has the puck he is better than Baertschi. If he keeps improving on his play without the puck he would be a great top 6 player. 

BY FAR his best game as a Canuck. The Sutter goal is a prime example of good D leading to O that has been missing from his game.

Ideally he can keep that up and we can either replace Baer (and trade him) or Goldy will have some value for an upgrade elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ideally he can keep that up and we can either replace Baer (and trade him) or Goldy will have some value for an upgrade elsewhere.

I was all for the Baer trade but his value is somewhat low and the Sedins may be retiring. I see Goldy and Gaudette as the guys that can step in to those two shoes next year assuming the Sedins retire. If Sedins come back then trade Baer.

Next years lineup

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Archibald

Goldy-Gaudette-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gagner-Gaunce

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

2 good games this year isn't enough to get you more minutes at the NHL level on any team

If his defence he is the only one that gets benched after the first period in most of the games he plays. In case anyone noticed he isn't the reason we are losing games

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Looks confident.

He broke up a couple rushes with his back check tonight too

I also noticed a lot that while he was trying to engage in checking a player he was often on the wrong side of the player. Shows he’s putting in the effort now some video studies and a little bit of coaching to teach him how to properly execute 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Really liking his game right now. Looks engaged in the play. Has shown sick play making abilities. Looks like Goldy has figured it out

Back to back strong games IMHO. He is a real setup man. Can handle the puck in tight as well. One way or the other he has to play out the season in Vancouver. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Back to back strong games IMHO. He is a real setup man. Can handle the puck in tight as well. One way or the other he has to play out the season in Vancouver. 

And the timing couldn't be better.  Great that he's shown he can do it, but like with Jake it's all about consistency.  The two of them are very dynamic together with their speed and Goldy's vision; they really take it to the opposition and put them on their heels.  He makes passes into areas and to guys that are Henrik-level; often times risky but Gold when they work.  Yeah they're going to still make a tonne of mistakes but let's just roll with them down the stretch -- no doubt it's what the fans want to see as well.  If they have both "learned to be pros" that is probably the biggest factor of all.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Time to flip Baer to a contender :lol:

Having him and Jake emerge as legit players will really open things up trade asset-wise, same with Holm on the back end.  We can start packaging up guys to solidify our D, because we're gonna need it with all these young forwards coming in the next couple years.  Fortunately, unlike them the others in Pettersson, Gaudette, and Lind all have reps as decent two-way players.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

And the timing couldn't be better.  Great that he's shown he can do it, but like with Jake it's all about consistency.  The two of them are very dynamic together with their speed and Goldy's vision; they really take it to the opposition and put them on their heels.  He makes passes into areas and to guys that are Henrik-level; often times risky but Gold when they work.  Yeah they're going to still make a tonne of mistakes but let's just roll with them down the stretch -- no doubt it's what the fans want to see as well.  If they have both "learned to be pros" that is probably the biggest factor of all.

Having him and Jake emerge as legit players will really open things up trade asset-wise, same with Holm on the back end.  We can start packaging up guys to solidify our D, because we're gonna need it with all these young forwards coming in the next couple years.  Fortunately, unlike them the others in Pettersson, Gaudette, and Lind all have reps as decent two-way players.

Yup, and while I was being a bit sarcastic (2 games is hardly a meaningful sample size), I honestly wouldn't be opposed to moving him now. Assuming a reasonable return anyway. 

Goldobin and perhaps Gaudette, if the timing works,, can fill in the rest of this season. Then we have those two plus Pettersson and likely Dahlen competing for a spot there next fall. Not to mention any UFA's this summer and a possibly 2nd or 3rd OA pick that might net us a Zadina or Svechnikov to play wing as well. 

Thank you Baer but it appears your services are no longer required. 

Edited by aGENT

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, and while I was being a bit sarcastic (2 games is hardly a meaningful sample size), I honestly wouldn't be opposed to moving him now. Assuming a reasonable return anyway. 

Goldobin and perhaps Gaudette, if the timing works,, can fill in the rest of this season. Then we have those two plus Pettersson and likely Dahlen competing for a spot there next fall. Not to mention any UFA's this summer and a possibly 2nd or 3rd OA pick that might net us a Zadina or Svechnikov to play wing as well. 

Thank you Baer but it appears your services are no longer required. 

I think I'd prefer to keep Baertschi around for another 2 or 3 years. I know there are options to replace him but if one or more of these kids come in a simply win the 1st or 2nd line wing spot, that just pushes Baertschi down the roster creating a fairly deep forward group. 

I'm sure Baer will sign a 2 or 3 year deal at a reasonable cap hit and once he's a UFA at least one or two of the young guys will have replaced him.

18 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I think I'd prefer to keep Baertschi around for another 2 or 3 years. I know there are options to replace him but if one or more of these kids come in a simply win the 1st or 2nd line wing spot, that just pushes Baertschi down the roster creating a fairly deep forward group. 

I'm sure Baer will sign a 2 or 3 year deal at a reasonable cap hit and once he's a UFA at least one or two of the young guys will have replaced him.

I don't see him as a long term fit here. And while he's a good/decent enough player, he's not so good that he's irreplaceable. 

By all means, if we don't get trade value, we retain him. But if we do, we have tonnes of options to replace him.