The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's getting to the point where I think I'll be legitimately surprised if MacEwen doesn't make the big leagues at some point soon. He's doing too much in the AHL not to get a shot at some point.

Ya I think your right. At the very least he should get a taste soon as the next injury call up and see if there are any areas of his game that need improvement.

Currently is looking like an awesome 3rd line energy winger with skill, speed and a willingness to play physical.

A future line of Lockwood-Gaudette-MacEwen would be fun to watch

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd even include Bachmen in this as well. This season looks like it's his last with us, but I have to give the guy a lot of props sticking it out like Arch and Biega have. Thankless roles, but they all have played them well.

Thankless roles?

How do you make that out. I think they have had and deserved some great times and opportunities in the Canucks organisation. I doubt they would have fared better anywhere else. Why would any pro in the AHL feel hard done by to be given an opportunity to nurture youngsters in the AHL and indeed have many similar opportunities in the NHL?

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd even include Bachmen in this as well. This season looks like it's his last with us, but I have to give the guy a lot of props sticking it out like Arch and Biega have. Thankless roles, but they all have played them well.

Bachman was signed to a two year extension this past summer so the AHL team whether its in Utica or somewhere closer to Vancouver is stuck with him for another season.  Bacher is a good guy in the community and is a good teammate but his skills have been in decline for a couple of years now and the odds of them improving next season when he is a year older are not great.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Thankless roles?

How do you make that out. I think they have had and deserved some great times and opportunities in the Canucks organisation. I doubt they would have fared better anywhere else. Why would any pro in the AHL feel hard done by to be given an opportunity to nurture youngsters in the AHL and indeed have many similar opportunities in the NHL?

I summed it up from my viewings of them and what they say in interviews. Specifically Bachmen, he even lamented the fact this was probably his last go of it and wished he had played better. At the end of the day you are right they all should count themselves lucky collecting a pay cheque in either league, but to say taking a back seat to allow prospects to develop isn't thankless, it is.

They want to play and they all believe they have what it takes. You can't take that away from any professional hockey player. They are pros and each one has pride in their game, and all 3 have taken a back seat to allow prospect growth, all while getting no thanks from us canucks fans for supporting the young guys in their development paths. At least management knows what they bring and is the main reason they have been around as long as they have...I as a fan wanted to acknowledge them and thank them for their services.

I could go into further detail on how Bachmen helped us with he Vegas expansion rules but don't want to veer off course here.

At the end of the day I have my thoughts on this matter and am definitely not saying I know it all or anything, like all of us on here we go by what we see, think, and feel about this team. And from my point of view they are in a "thankless" position..but are also getting compensated for it, which I respect is your opinion..but you can't tell me they all don't want bigger and better roles, they all want more, they are hockey players, they are built to compete. Hopefully this clarifies things for you and of course this is only my opinion, which means squat to most lol.

cheers

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

Bachman was signed to a two year extension this past summer so the AHL team whether its in Utica or somewhere closer to Vancouver is stuck with him for another season.  Bacher is a good guy in the community and is a good teammate but his skills have been in decline for a couple of years now and the odds of them improving next season when he is a year older are not great.  

I was wondering if it's for the Seattle expansion? He helped in that regard during the Vegas expansion.

46 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I summed it up from my viewings of them and what they say in interviews. Specifically Bachmen, he even lamented the fact this was probably his last go of it and wished he had played better. At the end of the day you are right they all should count themselves lucky collecting a pay cheque in either league, but to say taking a back seat to allow prospects to develop isn't thankless, it is.

They want to play and they all believe they have what it takes. You can't take that away from any professional hockey player. They are pros and each one has pride in their game, and all 3 have taken a back seat to allow prospect growth, all while getting no thanks from us canucks fans for supporting the young guys in their development paths. At least management knows what they bring and is the main reason they have been around as long as they have...I as a fan wanted to acknowledge them and thank them for their services.

I could go into further detail on how Bachmen helped us with he Vegas expansion rules but don't want to veer off course here.

At the end of the day I have my thoughts on this matter and am definitely not saying I know it all or anything, like all of us on here we go by what we see, think, and feel about this team. And from my point of view they are in a "thankless" position..but are also getting compensated for it, which I respect is your opinion..but you can't tell me they all don't want bigger and better roles, they all want more, they are hockey players, they are built to compete. Hopefully this clarifies things for you and of course this is only my opinion, which means squat to most lol.

cheers

I accept the gist of what you are saying but I still don't understand the use of the word "thankless" which implies no one appreciates them or their contribution to the team/s

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

McEwan with a couple of thunderous hits tonight.  I think they will checking the arena for earthquake damage.  Interesting that nobody challenged him after the hits.

I didn't see the game, but I love hearing that MacEwen was throwing his weight around and scored a goal.....and if nobody challenged him after one of those hits, then I guess Baddock wasn't doing his job again last night.

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I accept the gist of what you are saying but I still don't understand the use of the word "thankless" which implies no one appreciates them or their contribution to the team/s

Good point, I see what you’re saying. I know management is thankful to what they bring, so in that sense they are appreciated...But I do think they get un fair heat from fans who don’t understand what they are doing on our team/s. And I do think our fans can be thankless and harsh to them and others that filled similar roles for this team in the past (megna, vey, chaput, etc). I’m sure I could find a better word but nothing comes to mind at the moment haha.

They are minor role players and they have all served admirably. Just don’t understand the hang up on these guys if they squeeze in a few nhl games a year and everyone freaks out about them getting ice over prospects. To me they have earned the few games they do get. 

Anyways will end it here, no reason beating a dead horse lol. 

Cheers

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 2

Zach MacEwen on Sportsnet 650:

On his season: “My first couple steps have improved a ton this year which has been a big help. My confidence with the puck has come a long way as well. I am not afraid to make mistakes like I was last year and added ice time has been a huge bonus. I am making plays with confidence, ice time is great from the coaching staff. I just want to keep it going.”

On getting a call from the Canucks: “I'm feeling good down here, management has a plan for me. I want to be ready when I get the chance, so I can make the most of it. I am not going to rush it."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Zach MacEwen on Sportsnet 650:

On his season: “My first couple steps have improved a ton this year which has been a big help. My confidence with the puck has come a long way as well. I am not afraid to make mistakes like I was last year and added ice time has been a huge bonus. I am making plays with confidence, ice time is great from the coaching staff. I just want to keep it going.”

On getting a call from the Canucks: “I'm feeling good down here, management has a plan for me. I want to be ready when I get the chance, so I can make the most of it. I am not going to rush it."

So what are everyone's thoughts on ZM. 

Do you think he will get called up sometime in the New year or will that not occur until next year?

Or do you think it would just be better to let him continue to work hard on his game in the A for at least the remainder of this year?

He is 22 years old now and has been progressing well. Does he benefit more from exposure to the NHL sooner rather than later?

I am interested in the thoughts of those that maybe have been involved directly in these types of situations (if we have anyone on here that works in that type of field).

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So what are everyone's thoughts on ZM. 

Do you think he will get called up sometime in the New year or will that not occur until next year?

Or do you think it would just be better to let him continue to work hard on his game in the A for at least the remainder of this year?

He is 22 years old now and has been progressing well. Does he benefit more from exposure to the NHL sooner rather than later?

I am interested in the thoughts of those that maybe have been involved directly in these types of situations (if we have anyone on here that works in that type of field).

I think it depends on a significant injury to a winger.  If a winger gets injured, and is out for a significant period of time, I think he gets the call, but only under that scenario.  

• Like 1