The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

The Canucks were passive in the defensive zone, they always backed in and kept the play on the perimeter.  This gave opposing teams a shooting gallery, and allowed them to keep possession more then they should have.  How much did this contribute to injuries?  When you are blocking shots, and running around a lot, it must take a toll on the team.

Stonker makes valid points, this was an AHL squad sprinkled with a few talented NHL players.  The back end was full of young guys.  No coach could have got them to the playoffs.  

But willie's system (which probably contributed to injuries) and his bizarre player deployments  put a target on his back.  This was the easiest move for management to make to appease the masses.  I cant see how you can go into next season, after finishing 29th, without drastic changes.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think management wanted to find out which kids were good and which weren't by seeingthem play bigger roles and in key situations. You know, to evaluate what they need to do going forward. 

Using Biega AND Larsen as forwards was a nice parting shot by Desjardins though I have to admit.

I'm gonna say that that was one choice that turned out not nearly as insane as I initially expected.

Just now, StealthNuck said:

Well,  yes.  Who had more goals with the Sedins? Goldy, Megna, or Chaput?

Which by coincidence was when we started losing. I wonder why that was. 

This was never about getting a couple of inexperienced prospects who could score goals, it was about building a team that allowed the established young players to keep from being swamped. It is no coincidence the results went down hill after the last batch of young players came in - you can't just stuff every position with a young player and keep competing at the same level, much as WD tried.

This firing is the work of two executives who were promoted above their pay grade who obviously hadn't the experience to realise when they needed to show some balls and instead bowed to the ignorant mob.

Just now, alfstonker said:

This was never about getting a couple of inexperienced prospects who could score goals, it was about building a team that allowed the established young players to keep from being swamped. It is no coincidence the results went down hill after the last batch of young players came in - you can't just stuff every position with a young player and keep competing at the same level, much as WD tried.

This firing is the work of two executives who were promoted above their pay grade who obviously hadn't the experience to realise when they needed to show some balls and instead bowed to the ignorant mob.

The 'mob' or pressure from above?

wow  i actually liked Willie and did a marvelous job with the roster he had to work with. He developed a few kids well in Stecher, Tram, Hutty, Baer, Bo, Granny to name a few. even I couldnt have done better with the roster he had filled with Megnas and Chaputs. I believe had Dorsett, Guddy had stayed healthy the whole year, this team was playoff bound. unfortunately it had to happen after another dismal season. I really think this sets up the promotion for Travis Green from Utica. hes done a great job with the team down and has them in a winning culture while playing hard for him. Stevens, Crawford, Hitch, Gallant are other options but first couple are ideal fits imo. theres also Lindy Ruff and maybe Benning has some connection with him still from the Buffalo days so who knows. I wish Willie all the best. he deserved a better team to work with.

3 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Oh man, I guess it had to happen considering the season we just had. But imo Willie did a great job with our kids and will find another NHL job soon.

this + 100000000... Bo flourished under him and hes ready to take the next step next season, same with Baer, Granny, not to mention a full year of Boeser so everything is starting to fall into place. Goldy did a good time in the very few games as a Canuck and Willie motivated him somehow by calling him out which kinda helped. a full year of him also will do wonders. if we win Hischier sweepstakes, its because of how Willie made us endure the pain and we would be thanking him for this tank job. We need to start with a more offensive minded system imo once we hire a coach and while we have to worry defensively, if your players know how to backcheck after the other team steals the puck, you go back as fast as you can. more kids coming in from last years draft and the draft before and i believe this team can be a playoff team if we draft one of Hischier/Patrick, sign some proper physical and offensively capable bottom 6 players and we should be ready to go at it next year

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Lol or a coach who was hired above his pay grade and couldn't find an in game adjustment with a high powered spotlight and team of a 50 member ground search team.

Archived