The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tankards TOAST to the 2017/18 Season !

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

People aren't paying money regardless. We won't be a good team with or without our better kids.  

How long do you think the draw of 'Boeser!' sells tickets when we start losing again anyway? A few weeks? A month? 

The torch and pitchfork crowd will be back to spending more time complaining on the radio and CDC than money on tickets in short order. 

I vote to keep as many kids away from that mess as we can and let them dominate and build chemistry in Utica. Available for call ups with injuries and after the TDL when we move those UFA'S and perhaps Rodin/Boucher after 'pumping and dumping' them. 

Pick high again next summer and go from there. 

It makes sense really. Sadly re emphasizes the current state.  Imo, with tram gone, Rodin's demise last season, and positively Boeser's great form, I could easily see the brass starting Brock to spur some interest in the youth movement.  But I see your point in providing the better prospects with an environment to create chemistry and a winning culture in.

the risk in this imo, is JB put in a position to acquire an FA and contract again, that we don't need.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

the risk in this imo, is JB put in a position to acquire an FA and contract again, that we don't need.

One year deals, guys we can flip at the TDL. Not worried. 

Not particularly worried otherwise actually lol

21 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

I will admit, at least with Chicago they have won some Cups, so if they do have a number of years where they struggle fans will be patient.

For sure and Bowman is the tip of the iceberg as far a managing a champion ( if not any team actually) in the cap era.  Their core is still in their mid-late prime they could win it again too...Despite been bounced in 4.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:57 AM, R35Godz1lla said:

I will admit, at least with Chicago they have won some Cups, so if they do have a number of years where they struggle fans will be patient.

Ha, you should read chicago fans on twitter.  They were all hating on toews and ready to run him out of town during the year.  Ungrateful bunch of bandwagoners after he won them 3 cups!!

1 hour ago, FireGillis said:

I'm fully aboard team tank again next year and am already falling for dahlin!

You sure set the bar low huh. I feel bad for Bo through all of this. The poor bastage is gonna toil in complete anonymity and waste his NHL career with this franchise. He'll end up getting his brains bashed in trying to drag this team to the playoffs every year for the next ten years. The writings on the wall. This franchise has no direction. The mere fact they thought WD and the Sedins could keep this team in a playoff hunt tells me everything I need to know...They don't want to strip it down and start over. just keep patching it up to get butts in seats. To add to the misery we get to watch the Leafs and Oilers fans celebrate cup quality teams for ten years. This team is gonna get rag dolled for ten years by the Flames, Oilers and Leafs. We all get a front row seat to the horror show thanks to the bonehead owners

13 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

You sure set the bar low huh. I feel bad for Bo through all of this. The poor bastage is gonna toil in complete anonymity and waste his NHL career with this franchise. He'll end up getting his brains bashed in trying to drag this team to the playoffs every year for the next ten years. The writings on the wall. This franchise has no direction. The mere fact they thought WD and the Sedins could keep this team in a playoff hunt tells me everything I need to know...They don't want to strip it down and start over. just keep patching it up to get butts in seats. To add to the misery we get to watch the Leafs and Oilers fans celebrate cup quality teams for ten years. This team is gonna get rag dolled for ten years by the Flames, Oilers and Leafs. We all get a front row seat to the horror show thanks to the bonehead owners

Wow that's pretty pessimistic. The only team I'm worried about is the Oilers but so are the rest of the league. 

We have a better future than the leafs and the flames and I think we'll see that in 2-3 years. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Wow that's pretty pessimistic. The only team I'm worried about is the Oilers but so are the rest of the league. 

We have a better future than the leafs and the flames and I think we'll see that in 2-3 years. 

What??? How?

I guess you're too young to remember the Gretzky Messier years huh, oh say 1981 to 1991. The Red Wings and Avalanche used to just abuse the Canucks for ten years too from 1995 -2005 . We had a good run for about what?... 5 years,  from 2008- 2013. Id like to be the abuser rather than the abusee in this relationship, if you know what I mean

4 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

What??? How?

I guess you're too young to remember the Gretzky Messier years huh, oh say 1981 to 1991. The Red Wings and Avalanche used to just abuse the Canucks for ten years too from 1995 -2005 . We had a good run for about what?... 5 years,  from 2008- 2013. Id like to be the abuser rather than the abusee in this relationship, if you know what I mean

Living in Calgary, I honestly think they peaked too soon and are already on an upswing without enough high end talent. Monahan and Gaudreau with a bunch of fillers are not going to cut it. They're young guys aren't elite enough and their old guys are getting older. They'll be a first or second round playoff team for years until they have to rebuild again. 

Same with Toronto. 

The Canucks are in good shape. We have a top 5 pick this year and will most likely have one next year. 

We've hit a few really good ones in the late first round and subsequent rounds like Boeser Demko and Tryamkin. 

We've made 2 really good trades at the deadline with Goldobin and Dahlen. Our best players currently are all 25 or younger (Horvat,  Hutton,  Stetcher, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson) 

Virtanen is improving and looks to be at worst case a Ferland type player but most likely better. 

I think the timing of our development plan is quite good

20 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

What??? How?

Living in Calgary, I honestly think they peaked too soon and are already on an upswing without enough high end talent. Monahan and Gaudreau with a bunch of fillers are not going to cut it. They're young guys aren't elite enough and their old guys are getting older. They'll be a first or second round playoff team for years until they have to rebuild again. 

Same with Toronto. 

The Canucks are in good shape. We have a top 5 pick this year and will most likely have one next year. 

We've hit a few really good ones in the late first round and subsequent rounds like Boeser Demko and Tryamkin. 

We've made 2 really good trades at the deadline with Goldobin and Dahlen. Our best players currently are all 25 or younger (Horvat,  Hutton,  Stetcher, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson) 

Virtanen is improving and looks to be at worst case a Ferland type player but most likely better. 

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Ha, you should read chicago fans on twitter.  They were all hating on toews and ready to run him out of town during the year.  Ungrateful bunch of bandwagoners after he won them 3 cups!!

Unfortunately thats the mentality of large sections of sports fans...what have you done for me lately...

33 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If there was ever a case for playing for draft picks then the Oilers and Laffers are that. Throw in a unbelievable amount of luck with the Oilers. Canucks do not have a better future than the Laffers and it tears my gut out to say that. What they have on the ice right now is a core let alone what they still have in the AHL. Canucks have no where near that talent.

I don't have to be a tanker to know where the Canucks will likely end again next year. Benning has to add key core pieces for another 2 years.

35 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Same with Toronto. 

I think the timing of our development plan is quite good

I wish I shared your optimism

Personally. The lottery doesn't matter to me as much. 

I just want us to end 2018 with more than 7 picks. Preferably more in the top 3 rounds. Or at the very least don't trade any away for bandaid fixes like Larsen. 

The fact that we finished 2nd last this year is tempered by the fact we lost our 5th and 6th round picks and getting the first stab at a gem like another gaudette.

Please acquire picks and keep them Jim. Avert your eyes from the 25+ yr old low ceiling high 'character' guys

50 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Same with Toronto. 

I wholeheartedly agree on your Flames assessment...Toronto on the other hand,not so much (they actually do have a goaltender)...

I like your optimism for the Canucks,but there's still a lot of unproven talent there..and a lot of things will have to go right..We are finally heading in the right direction of hoarding young talent,....now its just a matter of time before it all collectively comes together and they have a breakout season (much like the CBJ did this year)

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

We definitely aren't going to be the next Pittsburgh or  Chicago.  But optimistically I see us as a Nashville lite with how we're building from the back out

Great goaltending  (demko), defense depth (juolevi, stetcher, hutton, tryamkin(plz...), subban, brisebois) and scoring depth with under the radar stars (boeser, horvat, baertschi, dahlen, goldobin)

On 4/22/2017 at 0:13 PM, Canucklehead73 said:

Sure all that makes sense except you can only get high picks by being a loser. 

We are in this to win correct? Then you have to draft well as you aren't going to get access to the top 5 picks.

And sure drafting well AND drafting high is better than drafting middle of the pack... but it's an oxymoron as there's no way you have been drafting well if your drafting top 5 because you suck and your team is an embarrassment.

The canucks draft record is a case in point. ...

I agree there are times teams fail to draft correctly, and we are one of them, and it can make sense tactically to trade away core players and let your team falter and land a top 5 pick... but this is a desperation move due to poor drafting.

I do not buy into the concept that you can just gut your team and tank a season and your guaranteed to become a contender as you get to pick top 5 all the time. 

Granted there are players that turn out to be franchise players like Crosby etc etc but these players are so rare it's pointless to "try" to lose and get a top pick.

I believe you focus on drafting and development and build a character roster that always always plays to win.  Your fan base will grow. Your intimidation factor will affect other teams morale.

Look how many picks Chicago has this year... way more than anyone else... as they draft well and have assets.

You never play to lose.

But that's just me... 

You're right that crappier teams pick higher, and that's obviously by design. But one important factor you seem to neglect is the development cycle of your prospects. You could get great prospects through high picks that aren't going to perform at least for a few seasons, which means unless the rest of your team is good, you will be crappy for a few more years and pick high a few more years and add to your top prospects list. So if you play your prospects instead of older better players that won't be good enough to contribute when your core prospects are developed, your team won't be good and you will likely finish low and draft high. If your prospects play good enough to not get a high draft pick, no one would complain about that cuz it just means you're that much closer to competing. 

It's an obvious and simple strategy in a salary cap system. You suck a bunch of years and get the future core of your team and you build around them. The only other way to shortcut this is to have scouting and trading/contract negotiating abilities that is far better than your competitors, which in reality is quite unlikely to have as talent in these areas get distributed over time amongst all the teams that are willing to pay for them.

Yes, we are here to win... STANLEY CUPS, not regular season games! But if anyone prefers to win regular season games over the cup, then what you say makes sense.

8 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

Leafs, Oilers and Flames are at least showing the way. They're providing a made in Canada blueprint for success here in Canada. Aqua can't claim he didn't know any better anymore, let's see if he's paying attention to his surroundings now or if he still thinks of himself as a "sports entertainment company" hoping to "get lucky one year and win the cup". It is extremely frustrating and discouraging to be a fan right now.

All this team needs is a decent bonified NHL coach and they'll make the playoffs.

WD behind the bench in Toronto and you've got a bottom feeder. Babcock in Vancouver and you've got a Wild Card team. That's the difference.

We've got some nice pieces put here together by TL and JB, we just need to know how to use them properly and that's where a good coach and coaching staff comes in. 

Archived