The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Moving up is a terrible idea. I would acquire more picks but moving up is pointless.

This draft just plain sucks....not worth it. The player at 5 could be better than 1.

Would that make the draft bad or the scouting?

45 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's the Canucks...bad scouting is a given.... although the times they are a changing.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Would that make the draft bad or the scouting?

The player at 5 always could be better than the player at 1.  In this case, both Hischier and Patrick have a higher ceiling than any other player in the draft. That means most likely they will be better than the player at #5.

On 6/10/2017 at 4:28 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Abandon the rebuild, dispose of all the picks for a shinier trinket.  Ship out Hutton, Granlund, and Baertschi as well, if need be.

???? Where did I throw those names around.  Our 5th OA and both 2nds is probably at least what it would take to get the 1OA pick.  Whether you do it or not is your opinion, but putting words in my mouth for your dramatic effect is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Moving up is a terrible idea. I would acquire more picks but moving up is pointless.

This draft just plain sucks....not worth it. The player at 5 could be better than 1.

It doesn't suck, we'll get a good player but the difference between 1 and probably 10-15 could be minor and someone could pick a player at 8-15 who could end up being the best player in the draft, or second round etc.

There just isn't those 'obvious' game breakers in this draft, it doesn't mean there won't be a good group of quality nhl'ers emerge.

This draft is going to be a big test for scouting departments as a result, this is where we HOPE JB is going to a shine, this year gives him alot of room  to steal players if they have done their homework and continue to be as effective as they have since he's taken over.

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

If guys like Vilardi, Petterson, Makar and Glass are there at 5 there is no point, your right. A couple of them could end up better then Patrick and Hischier. 

14 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If guys like Vilardi, Petterson, Makar and Glass are there at 5 there is no point, your right. A couple of them could end up better then Patrick and Hischier. 

Benning and Co have spent thousands of hours looking at these guys , and know more about who's picking who. I'm sure if they think they have to move up , there is a good reason. We know a fraction of what's going on behind the scenes. 

1999 was considered a weak draft too if I recall, yet we walked away with two franchise players.

If we can get number 3 and 5 in this draft we could build a very solid foundation for the future.

Any combination of Vilardi, Glass, Tippett, Mittelstadt, or Pettersson could give us all the top 6 scoring we need.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

1999 was considered a weak draft too if I recall, yet we walked away with two franchise players.

If we can get number 3 and 5 in this draft we could build a very solid foundation for the future.

Any combination of Vilardi, Glass, Tippett, Mittelstadt, or Pettersson could give us all the top 6 scoring we need.

If we got 3 and kept 5 I'd want Vilardi and then it would be a tough call between Petterson and Glass in my opinion. Makar might be the most intriguing, but he's risky. I don't want Tippet at 5. We have guys like him in the system already. 

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

If we got 3 and kept 5 I'd want Vilardi and then it would be a tough call between Petterson and Glass in my opinion. Makar might be the most intriguing, but he's risky. I don't want Tippet at 5. We have guys like him in the system already. 

Vilardi would be my first choice as well. Him and Glass together with Horvat would be just the mix of grit and skill we need to build around.

I wouldn't be mad with Tippett at 5 though (assuming we already drafted a center) if Benning is sold on him. Can never have too many guys that know how to put the puck in the net. No guarantee guys like Goldobin and Virtanen will pan out.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vilardi would be my first choice as well. Him and Glass together with Horvat would be just the mix of grit and skill we need to build around.

I wouldn't be mad with Tippett at 5 though (assuming we already drafted a center) if Benning is sold on him. Can never have too many guys that know how to put the puck in the net. No guarantee guys like Goldobin and Virtanen will pan out.

This would get me excited to be a Canucks fan again.

If we have two top 5 picks (ie get third overall and keep our fifth) I'd really like to see this

I am really warming up to Makar - I know he played at a lower level but watching his speed and puck skills wow...those are elite.  It's a reach because you 'just don't know' but his ceiling could be as good or better than there is in this draft. It's time to swing for home runs in my view. We have enough safe picks. Makar reminds me alot of a Keith and Subban hybrid. Keith's mobility with Subban's speed.

I am ok with Vilardi, Glass, Middlestadt at number 3 and Makar at 5- I think with any of those C's and Maka's r upside we have a real chance to create a dynamic and balanced team of the future. I actually see a bit of Toews in Glass and prefer him over Vilardi. I think Gabe's skating may hold him back, I never saw "real' speed or power from him in the mem cup. Glass's advanced stats just say a great deal to me. If you're that good 5 on 5, that is a translatable talent, and his skating is better than Villardi, so if both can improve there one would assume, he will always have an edge

If we are able to get a mid/late first round pick and not third and fifth, I'd like to see any of those C's and Foote (hopefully he's still around). Coming from a defense factory, size and a family heritage in the game, he's got as good a shot as any  to be a good pro

If we don't add a pick, then it really comes down to who's left but I'd prefer a C at this stage. In my view taking a big swing (Makar) with only one plck vs two is a very different proposition, so I would go with a C given our young defense so far. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well by that logic we would have walked away with Henrik Sedin and Tim Connolly (3rd and 5th overall)

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Actually at the time 1999 was supposed to be an elite draft class. It just turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments in hockey history, but we still did well in that draft. 

On 2017-06-10 at 5:11 PM, RRypien37 said:

Why would anyone want to move up to #1 overall in such a weak draft. Makes no sense. 

Patrick was a few days from being in last years draft where he wouldn't have even gone in the top 3. 

But I believe scouts said he would go in the top 5 and only missed because he was a few days to young!

On 6/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, HC20.0 said:

Actually at the time 1999 was supposed to be an elite draft class. It just turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments in hockey history, but we still did well in that draft. 

Yeah the top 4 were "can't miss" superstars.  But fortunately, that only worked out for our two players.  And Tim Connolly had a ridiculous highlight reel.  Super talented scorer.

Archived