The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Tryamkin Return To The Canucks?

Hortankin

Tryamkin   

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The central thrust of the OP is that Tryamkin will return to the Canucks because you see comparables with Zdana Chara.  Whether Tryamkin is like Chara or not has no influence on whether he plays for the Canucks again.  The 2 things are quite separate.

Probably the biggest influence on whether he returns is the state of the Russian economy.  The Ruble has fallen dramatically in recent years and there have been rumours of KHL players going months without getting paid by their teams.  I think it was the Hockey News that ran a story a couple of weeks ago that reported that the KHL might be losing 3 teams next season in an attempt to reduce travel costs.  Tryamkin's team, Automobilvist, will almost certainly not be cut from the KHL because they are a large team located in central Russian. However, if 3 teams get cut, that will mean that there will be more players chasing fewer jobs.  Perhaps 25-30 defencemen looking for work in direct competition with Tryamkin.  Many will be less talented, but many will be better than him.  If he finds himself as a 6 / 7 Dman getting 9 minutes per game, that might be the incentive for him to return to Vancouver.

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

I honestly think it was that goddamn video of Pronger that put Nik over the top. The guys busts his ass all year, really develops at an impressive pace, etc. and Willie calls him out for not taking out Marchand (show me anyone that can) and shows him that stupid video. No kidding he left. Its not something that the team can never recover from, but to me its shows how much rope Jim gives a coach, maybe too much. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I honestly think it was that goddamn video of Pronger that put Nik over the top. The guys busts his ass all year, really develops at an impressive pace, etc. and Willie calls him out for not taking out Marchand (show me anyone that can) and shows him that stupid video. No kidding he left. Its not something that the team can never recover from, but to me its shows how much rope Jim gives a coach, maybe too much. 

Maybe Tryamkin is still here if JB fires WD before Christmas, when many of us wanted the axe to fall?

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe Tryamkin is still here if JB fires WD before Christmas, when many of us wanted the axe to fall?

Could be, Nik would have played out the year without the additional Pronger expectations. Nik also should have been able to handle that but maybe it was too much and Jim came in too late with an extension offer? 

One player does not make a team , sure we had a small sample size of him and i understand that some fans on here were billing him as Chara 2.0. Last time i checked this team was still called the Vancouver Canucks and not the Vancouver Tryamkins. Hell the kid may never play another game in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Could be, Nik would have played out the year without the additional Pronger expectations. Nik also should have been able to handle that but maybe it was too much and Jim came in too late with an extension offer? 

Pretty much mishandled Nik from day one.  

It's popular to blame Willie for Tryamkin's departure, but we really don't know what went on behind closed doors both on and off the ice. Look at your own lives, there's a ton of stuff that makes you take one path or another in life. Having said that I'd sure like to see him back here, and I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that it could happen. However, I don't think he's got the mean streak that everybody wants to see in him—mind you, who knows, if the opposition piss him off sufficiently that could happen also.

46 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

There's all sorts of theories floating around about why he left ....Wanted him to play in the AHL,..his wife hated it here,..ice-time,..play more like Pronger,..money...etc.?...Benning gets flak for a lot of things,some of them deservedly so,but in this case..there was nothing they could do..Benning and Linden tried like crazy to make him stay,but nothing was going to make him stay..He was going home regardless.

When you watch him in the year end presser,its interesting that he says (with a straight face) his main goal was to "play in NHL",yet knowing full well that he had booked a flight the next morning and wasn't coming back....Management knew,wonder if his teammates did?

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

There's all sorts of theories floating around about why he left ....Wanted him to play in the AHL,..his wife hated it here,..ice-time,..play more like Pronger,..money...etc.?...Benning gets flak for a lot of things,some of them deservedly so,but in this case..there was nothing they could do..Benning and Linden tried like crazy to make him stay,but nothing was going to make him stay..He was going home regardless.

When you watch him in the year end presser,its interesting that he says (with a straight face) his main goal was to "play in NHL",yet knowing full well that he had booked a flight the next morning and wasn't coming back....Management knew,wonder if his teammates did?

His teammates in Russia? B)

10 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

the 'wife blame' is pretty weird imo, there's just no basis for that. But we do know Willie's approach and frankly thats enough to freak a guy out. I wish Nik had more of a f-u attitude and signed a big extension but Russians can be fussy. It was just such a stupid move by Willie to call the guy out like that. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

the 'wife blame' is pretty weird imo, there's just no basis for that. But we do know Willie's approach and frankly thats enough to freak a guy out. I wish Nik had more of a f-u attitude and signed a big extension but Russians can be fussy. It was just such a stupid move by Willie to call the guy out like that. 

Yeah...I thought so to.. blaming Tryamkin for the loss against the Bruins..It pretty well demonstrates that WD had no clue about what kind of player that Tryamkin was..Nik would stand up for his teammates,but he was no enforcer (in fact,he was confused why players wanted to fight him after a clean hit).....I think that there were a few things about the NA game that rubbed him the wrong way..

Either way,the coaching staff got fired.. and he would have had a guaranteed spot on the D next year..and most of his hassles would have been in the rear view mirror...Does any of this really matter though..?..He was going back to Russia regardless.

A lot of people sure don't understand what went on here...

First of all, Tryamkin is a gentle-giant.  He's not going to, all of a sudden, become a bruising player.  He's never going to become that.  Ever.  It's not in his nature.  Players can change their style, but no one ever changes their nature.  It's completely ingrained.

So, what happened to Tryamkin?  He comes over here - and we harp on him every day to become something he's never going to be.  He can't ever be.  We bench him.  We treat him like crap.  We play worse players over him and staple him to the bench.  Every day we browbeat him into submission and try to change the fundamentals of his game.  Trying to get him to be that big, mean player we always wanted.  Think of what it's like to be a player -  and watch worse players continually get more ice-time than you, just because the coaches want you to be something you're not.  Oh yeah, and he can't speak the language!  Doesn't know the culture.  Had to move half-way around the world.  No family.  Etc...  So, instead of making his new home a nice, inviting place to stay - we made it miserable for him.  The entire time.  By trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Being the worst team in the league probably didn't help either.  And then, coming to camp out of shape only made matters worse.  It gave the coaching crew something else to harp on him about.

And, we are a team who has a long history of insulting our Russians too.  Remember when we (very publicly) refused to even draft a Russian for years and years?  Right after we ran Bure out of town?  How do you think that sort of thing goes over with the Russians?  Imagine you were a player and your team said they would never draft any Canadians.  They just didn't want any of those damn Canadians on our team.  How would you feel about your team then?

Imagine if you were Tryamkin - would you want to stay and play here?  After what this team did to you?  After how they treated you?

Not a chance!  He's not coming back (unless the KHL goes bankrupt or we over-pay tremendously).  We burned that bridge to the ground.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

A lot of people sure don't understand what went on here...

First of all, Tryamkin is a gentle-giant.  He's not going to, all of a sudden, become a bruising player.  He's never going to become that.  Ever.  It's not in his nature.  Players can change their style, but no one ever changes their nature.  It's completely ingrained.

So, what happened to Tryamkin?  He comes over here - and we harp on him every day to become something he's never going to be.  He can't ever be.  We bench himWe treat him like crap.  We play worse players over him and staple him to the bench.  Every day we browbeat him into submission and try to change the fundamentals of his game.  Trying to get him to be that big, mean player we always wanted.  Think of what it's like to be a player -  and watch worse players continually get more ice-time than you, just because the coaches want you to be something you're not.  Oh yeah, and he can't speak the language!  Doesn't know the culture.  Had to move half-way around the world.  No family.  Etc...  So, instead of making his new home a nice, inviting place to stay - we made it miserable for him.  The entire time.  By trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Being the worst team in the league probably didn't help either.  And then, coming to camp out of shape only made matters worse.  It gave the coaching crew something else to harp on him about.

And, we are a team who has a long history of insulting our Russians too.  Remember when we (very publicly) refused to even draft a Russian for years and years?  Right after we ran Bure out of town?  How do you think that sort of thing goes over with the Russians?  Imagine you were a player and your team said they would never draft any Canadians.  They just didn't want any of those damn Canadians on our team.  How would you feel about your team then?

Imagine if you were Tryamkin - would you want to stay and play here?  After what this team did to you?  After how they treated you?

Not a chance!  He's not coming back (unless the KHL goes bankrupt or we over-pay tremendously).  We burned that bridge to the ground.

Sorry,but you're being completely over dramatic...Is playing for the Canucks like being sentenced to a Siberian gulag...?...He's a big boy,and I'm betting that he will be back..

If playing for the Canucks was so great and I'm just being over-dramatic - how do you explain the fact that he turned down large multi-year contract offer from the Canucks to take (presumably) far less money to play in a far worse league?  I haven't heard what he signed for, but his entire team's payroll was $11 million euros a couple seasons ago, so it can't be very much.  Playing here was so awful for him, that he's literally willing to forego millions of dollars.  Think of how bad things would have to get for you to leave millions on the table...

Since when is it ok for Canuck fans if a rookie comes to camp massively overweight and demand that he stays with the big club?  According to many, Goldobin was treated 'poorly' as well, but I doubt he feels entitled to start the year in the NHL.

Seems like so much speculation and no real facts behind Try's heading back to Russia.  Maybe JB and Try came to a decision that he is better off developing in the KHL for a couple of years.  As fans, we're not privy to what is discussed between a GM and player.

4 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If playing for the Canucks was so great and I'm just being over-dramatic - how do you explain the fact that he turned down large multi-year contract offer from the Canucks to take (presumably) far less money to play in a far worse league?  I haven't heard what he signed for, but his entire team's payroll was $11 million euros a couple seasons ago, so it can't be very much.  Playing here was so awful for him, that he's literally willing to forego millions of dollars.  Think of how bad things would have to get for you to leave millions on the table...

If that's a fact, how 'bout a link to this info.  Thx.

Tryamkin has tremendous upside but if he isn't willing to play physical then that upside is seriously curtailed. I'm not going to say I'm gladdened by the result, but I still can't blame Willie and Lidster for pushing him.

13 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Tryamkin had the potential to be better than Chara but if he stays in the KHL for a few years and even if he returns he likely won't reach his ceiling that he could of been if he stayed at the NHL all these time. I really liked his game and I really think he could be a special player if developed properly. His got size, and he can skate very well given his frame and he also has good hockey IQ as I realize that when he is not tired out there, he is usally on the right side of the puck. I see offensive potential in him too as when he joins the rush he looks dangerous (but no finish, he could improve on that). It really sucks that a guy as good as him chooses to leave. However, it is difficult to work away from home at a country with a very different culture. What the Canucks management should of done was they could bring in another Russian veteran player to help him adjust. He seems pretty lonely for the most part of the season until Goldobin came over that's when he finally gets a Russian buddy on the team. We still retain his rights and I hope he would return and be a good top 4 defenceman for us when we are in position to contend.

Having Pedan being able to translate for him would have been huge , I said it from training camp, but with no room on D Pedan should have been used as a fourth line winger and perhaps net presence on PP. Plus Tryamkin would have seen how popular being mean would make you because Pedan owns mean.

Your right Canucks management could have avoided this with some form of welcoming decisions.

Archived