The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Tryamkin Return To The Canucks?

Hortankin

Tryamkin   

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember Tryamkin trying to finish the Grouse Grind.  He was really struggling, and Gaunce sacrificed his own time to push Tryamkin up the remaining distance.  If we lose Gaunce.... :(

Agreed.  I don't want the Canucks to lose Gaunce for this year.  The guy is going to have a breakout season next year.  You heard it first from the KING.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed.  I don't want the Canucks to lose Gaunce for this year.  The guy is going to have a breakout season next year.  You heard it first from the KING.

2G 9A??? lol

17 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

He didn't bother showing up in shape, 1st or 2nd year.

Didn't bother to learn English.

Wouldn't report to AHL.

This guy is a typical troublesome Russian.

Comparing him to Chara is an absolute joke.  

That said, he's by far the most physical Canuck and a good defenseman so I would love to have him back.  

I'm almost 100 percent sure he said himself he models his game after Chara.. even if he didn't say it is the comparison really a joke? 

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I'm almost 100 percent sure he said himself he models his game after Chara.. even if he didn't say it is the comparison really a joke? 

He has neither the nasty edge or the offensive game Chara had. So yes, the comparison is a joke. He has similar size and mobility but the comparison really ends there.

28 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He has neither the nasty edge or the offensive game Chara had. So yes, the comparison is a joke. He has similar size and mobility but the comparison really ends there.

he has the offensive game that chara had at the same age though...i don't remember how nasty Chara was back when he was 22, but I remember feeling surprised that he wasn't more dominant. it's definitely a reach to say Try is going to experience the same arc that Chara did, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

9 hours ago, cyoung said:

Better than Chara? What is with these delusions. 

If he stays in North America, he would have the chance (although slim, but he does have better stats than Chara did in the first 2 seasons Chara spent in the league). But since he decides to play in the KHL, even if he returns, he likely won't reach the ceiling he would of reached in North America. So my vote is a No.

11 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Where are you getting that information?  I've read several sources that say he signed a 3 year deal 

By his third year we may be trying for a playoff spot. Buy him out the 3rd year  (money for his Automobilist team which they probably really need)  If were not trying for a playoff spot leave him there.

Negotiate a fair contract of term 3-5 years and money comparable to Edler or Tanev.

Money talks. His family will understand that business is business esp comparing KHL pay vs Canuck pay.. Plus there could be a relationship built by then. Keep him in the loop so to speak bring him out to meet Green if there's a chance.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

By his third year we may be trying for a playoff spot. Buy him out the 3rd year  (money for his Automobilist team which they probably really need)  If were not trying for a playoff spot leave him there.

Negotiate a fair contract of term 3-5 years and money comparable to Edler or Tanev.

Money talks. His family will understand that business is business esp comparing KHL pay vs Canuck pay.. Plus there could be a relationship built by then. Keep him in the loop so to speak bring him out to meet Green if there's a chance.

100% agree!!

6 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Just because they're both tall and Eastern European, doesn't mean they're comparable.  Chara is a Norris trophy winner, I'm sure tons of big defensemen model his game but there's only one Chara. 

Chara has been a Captain for 11 years while Tryamkin shows up out of shape, refuses to go to minors and abandons the team to go to Russia.  There is a lot of difference between these guys other than how mean they are and obviously, skill level.  

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Just because they're both tall and Eastern European, doesn't mean they're comparable.  Chara is a Norris trophy winner, I'm sure tons of big defensemen model his game but there's only one Chara. 

Chara has been a Captain for 11 years while Tryamkin shows up out of shape, refuses to go to minors and abandons the team to go to Russia.  There is a lot of difference between these guys other than how mean they are and obviously, skill level.  

I watched Chara play for the Cougers. There's a reason that NYI and Ottawa traded him. They assumed that he maxed out, when he actually continued to grow as a player. He was terrible back then and the only reason he stuck early in his career was because he fought. Saying Tryamkin can't reach that level is as narrow-minded as assuming he will be that good.

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I watched Chara play for the Cougers. There's a reason that NYI and Ottawa traded him. They assumed that he maxed out, when he actually continued to grow as a player. He was terrible back then and the only reason he stuck early in his career was because he fought. Saying Tryamkin can't reach that level is as narrow-minded as assuming he will be that good.

Pretty sure I never said he can't reach his level.  Anything is possible in sports.  Just sayin, according some people on CDC Tryamkin is the next Chara and Horvat the next Toews.  We apparently have future Norris & Selke winners on the team, rebuild is over.

The reason NYI traded him (and Spezza) for Yashin wasn't because he was terrible, it's because they had the worst NHL GM and as far as I know... worst GM of any sport in history.  

4 hours ago, nzan said:

he has the offensive game that chara had at the same age though...i don't remember how nasty Chara was back when he was 22, but I remember feeling surprised that he wasn't more dominant. it's definitely a reach to say Try is going to experience the same arc that Chara did, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Chara had an offensive game before the NHL. Tryamkin has a career high 11 points at any level. He's never shown a decent offensive game. Therein lies the diffence to me. There's been plenty of players with a booming shot that never really produced. You never know, but I'd say the odds are against him becoming a Chara. Gudbranson has a better chance. At least he showed production prior to the NHL.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I thought that last year. I still think Gaunce will have a solid NHL career but I thought we were going to get a little more offence out of him. Not so sure now? He's still a good defensive forward though.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

I think the offensive game is there, actually.  Had he been smart and stuck around I think we would have seen him develop into a dominant dman at both ends of the rink.  My impression was always that Try had no confidence in his abilities and his own size intimidated him, in a sense.  he always looked like he was worried about truly hurting someone

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not sure why we're still talking about Tryamkin, but I'll bite.

How can you compare a 22 year old to another player's career accomplishments? That doesn't even make sense. The only thing we can compare is 22 year old Tryamkin vs 22 year old Chara. Everything else is just baseless speculation.

Also, he didn't abandon anything. Did he abandon his KHL team to play for the Canucks? Did he abandon his family to leave to North America? I was as shocked as anyone when he left but when you actually take a minute and think about it, it's actually quite admirable (turning down a big pay day to be close to home/family). I think we need to give the guy a break.

18 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Chara had an offensive game before the NHL. Tryamkin has a career high 11 points at any level. He's never shown a decent offensive game. Therein lies the diffence to me. There's been plenty of players with a booming shot that never really produced. You never know, but I'd say the odds are against him becoming a Chara. Gudbranson has a better chance. At least he showed production prior to the NHL.

Chara learned his NA hockey in Kamloops I believe playing Junior. IMHO that makes a big difference in how well players adjust to the NHL. The mental approach to the game can be as important as the physical attributes and skills. Tryamkin has shown potential but he had to remain in NA to prove that out. IMHO time spent back in the KHL is a bad decision career wise. 

Totally agree with your take. Just as likely we never hear from Tryamkin again. Each season he is gone is another lost year not just in his development but on the depth chart as well. He had a golden opportunity in Vancouver and has likely wasted it. 

He will return, probably in a couple of years.  The KHL is unreliable and the money in Russia is not the same since the price of oil tanked.  He will return probably in 3 years, just when out young prospects start getting good.  That's what I'm hoping for anyway!  

Archived