The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Predators re-sign Yannick Weber

No details on whether it is 1-way or 2-way deal:

Nashville, TN - Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced Tuesday that the club has signed defenseman Yannick Weber to a one-year, $650,000 contract.

Weber, 28 (9/23/88), signed a one-year deal with Nashville on July 1, 2016, and appeared in a career-high 73 games while posting one goal and eight points for the Predators during the 2016-17 campaign. His lone goal with Nashville proved to be the game-winner on Dec. 30, 2016, at St. Louis. 

Since 2008-09, the 5-foot-11, 200-pound blueliner has posted 78 points (23g-55a) in 347 NHL games with Montreal, Vancouver and Nashville, and 95 points (33g-62a) in 155 AHL games with Hamilton and Utica. The Morges, Switzerland, native played in the 2009 AHL All-Star Classic and was named to the 2009 AHL All-Rookie Team after ranking second among all defensemen in goals (16) and eighth in points (44).

Montreal's fifth choice, 73rd overall (third round), in the 2007 NHL Draft has extensive international playing experience - many of which came as Roman Josi's defensive partner - including the 2010 and 2014 Olympics, three World Championships, three World Junior Championships, and a pair of Under-18 World Championships. After playing several seasons with Bern's junior club - the same organization Josi developed in - Weber spent two seasons with the OHL's Kitchener Rangers in 2006-07 and 2007-08, being named an OHL Second-Team All-Star for both campaigns. In 2008, he helped the Rangers win the OHL title and advance to the Memorial Cup.

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-sign-yannick-weber-to-one-year-contract/c-289916254

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He was also on a one-way deal this past season.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Seems like an odd choice to re-sign him. Was he good defensively for once? Why did he play 73 games while scoring only 8 points?

Their top-4 Ds each play around 25min a night.  Weber plays about 10 to 12min - he did fine in that sheltered role.  They don't need a big contract and they don't have prospects on D pushing for spots right now.

I don't understand why people whine about depth players who play for low salaries. He is about what one would expect for the price. If he was as bad as idiots claim he is, Nashville wouldn't have re-signed him.

19 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

But CDC has declared him a career AHLer. Our vocal majority can't be wrong can they?

A 1 year $650,000 contract? I don't exactly call that a career NHLer. :lol: The guy is very lucky Nashville has 4 great Dmen ahead of him not to mention a pretty good goalie.

Yannick blew while he was here, but he was clearly playing way above his paygrade. Given the bottom pairing workload, his talent shone through.

I guess the silver lining in Nashville losing is that Weber won't win a Cup before the Canucks do. Small victories.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yannick blew while he was here, but he was clearly playing way above his paygrade. Given the bottom pairing workload, his talent shone through.

I guess the silver lining in Nashville losing is that Weber won't win a Cup before the Canucks do. Small victories.

Had to smile when Weber gifted a pass to a Pitt player in Game #5. Wasn't scored on but a flashback moment. He simply could not handle a heavy forecheck or puck battles in his own zone. 

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Had to smile when Weber gifted a pass to a Pitt player in Game #5. Wasn't scored on but a flashback moment. He simply could not handle a heavy forecheck or puck battles in his own zone. 

I noticed that. Weber is still a trainwreck in his own end.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

A 1 year $650,000 contract? I don't exactly call that a career NHLer. :lol: The guy is very lucky Nashville has 4 great Dmen ahead of him not to mention a pretty good goalie.

After 347 games already played in the NHL. Only an absolute idiot would consider that as a career AHLer.:lol:

He maybe isn't the worst overall dman. He skates alright, somewhat capable offensively but he doesn't do anything well and isn't solid enough all around to warrant a roster spot. 

Outside of decent skating and shot, his defensive game is weak. He isn't a great hitter, shot blocker, fighter, plus at 28 he doesn't have much potential.

Given the size of his contract I guess it doesn't really matter. Maybe he plugs 10-12 minutes per night well enough, perhaps better than a B prospect who is 22 years old. 

Archived