The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(New) Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2017-18 NHL season

Canorth

Final pts: 89.. solid yr, 10th in Conf; 20th OA

Only 150 man-games lost, for a change.

Tremendous 'tending..Marky plays 52 games, maintaining a 92% sv pct. Nilsson good as well .915

Rodin & McEneny called up, both play impressively. Rodin scores 5 in 1 game, winnin a cool mill for someone in Salmon Arm!

Stech saves a beautiful baby from a raging fire, for a story good-feel

pts:                                                                                        

Bo - 61

Hank - 51

LE(bounceback) - 49

Danny - 48

Baer - 46

Boeser - 25G/45 pts

Virtanen - 24/42

Rodin(lika' star) 40 pts, only 57 tilts!

SEVEN fwds hit the 20 goal plateau!

Best of the new guys?..Feel the BURM!

Stecher leads D-men in points

Gud assembles a harem of 47 babes..signed LT for 4.5 millish

GOTY! We deal a 10~1 drubbing on the Canes, to avenge last yr's DEBACLE!

There will be a goaltender controversy by Dec 25th  ::D

Pouliot will be a regular by season's end.

Edler will break sticks and shoot puck into shin pads.

Garrett will come up with at least one unhealthy snacking idea on each broadcast.

Loui will lead team in goals

Gudbranson will pound the $&!# out of some idjit that seriously needs it

I will cheer my face off during every game  

GO CANUCKS GO

:towel:  :canucks:   :towel: 

We will play really strong against the better teams in the league and fall apart against average teams, but we will try to stay more competitive throughout the year. We will turn a few heads but will just not have the size or depth to keep up with the elite teams this year. We fall from 7th-10th after Christmas but make a push late in the season but fall short and stay at 10th. But our young guys show up.

Stats     

Horvat:  25 Goals and 66pts,               

Boeser: 21 goals and 44 pts                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Granlund: 25 goals and 44 pts

Virtanen: 16 goals and 27 pts

Eriksson: 28 goals and 48 pts

Vanek: 13 goals and 25 pts

Henrik: 15 goals and 48 pts

Daniel: 19 goals and 51 pts

I predict/hope that the twins will become our 2nd line this year, with Bo, Baer, and Boeser becoming the new top line. For more ease of prediction, I'll predict that Vanek and Eriksson take turns on the 2nd line with the twins. Without further ado, some predictions (80-82 games assumed/used for predictions unless said otherwise):

Forwards:

B. Horvat: 22 goals, 36 assists, 58 points

S. Baertschi: 24 goals, 29 assists, 53 points

B. Boeser: 25 goals, 21 assists, 46 points

H. Sedin: 11 goals, 34 assists, 45 points

D. Sedin: 16 goals, 25 assists, 41 points

S. Gagner: 17 goals, 22 assists, 39 points

M. Granlund: 19 goals, 19 assists, 38 points

B. Sutter: 16 goals, 19 assists, 35 points

L. Eriksson: 14 goals, 17 assists, 31 points

T. Vanek: 15 goals, 16 assists, 31 points

J. Virtanen: 12 goals, 11 assists, 23 points

D. Dorsett: 60 games, 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points

A. Burmistrov: 36 games, 4 goals, 4 assists, 8 points

Defensemen:

A. Edler: 5 goals, 22 assists, 27 points

B. Hutton: 5 goals, 19 assists, 24 points

M. Del Zotto: 7 goals, 16 assists, 23 points

T. Stecher: 3 goals, 19 assists, 22 points

C. Tanev: 2 goals, 14 assists, 16 points

E. Gudbranson: 3 goals, 12 assists, 15 points

P. Wiercioch/D. Pouliot: 56 games: 4 goals, 9 assists, 13 points (Same prediction for either one, lol. The other spends most of the year in the AHL)

A. Biega: 48 games: 0 goals, 9 assists, 9 points

Goaltenders:

Jacob Markstrom: 58 games, 21 wins, 25 losses, 6 OTL, .908 Sv%

Anders Nilsson: 30 games, 13 wins, 12 losses, 5 OTL, .914 Sv%

Team:

Record: 34-37-11 (79 points)

Placement: 27th in the NHL (5th lottery pick)

Offense: 229 goals

Defense: 249 goals against

Other things of note:

- Boeser finishes third in Calder voting

- I added the goals up on my list here and got a very high number, but I have trouble bringing anyone lower. Our depth is insane. We won't have any star players, but our depth will be among the best in the NHL.

- Markstrom becomes the new whipping boy after Nilsson begins to slightly out-perform him

- Virtanen isn't a great offensive force, but he provides a bit of offense while being an effective energy forward as well

- Boeser gets voted to the All-Star Game

The team is considerably more exciting to watch with incredible depth and much more offense, but an even worse defensive side of the game prevents us from breaking out of the bottom crop of teams. The team misses Miller stealing games and notices a lack of competence on the blue line.

This year they start out healthy and win more games than expected but time and age catch up to Henrik who is hurt again this season and finally calls it quits at end of the year. Despite being out of it by the all start break I watch every game anyways hoping to see someone hammer Mc David. I watch the young players develop and we finish third last again only to pick 5 th in the rigged NHL lottery, which this season San Jose wins as interest in the west coast team s dwindles outside of Vancouver. Henrik and Daniel finally retire at the end of this season and we are ready to let BO and the young guns take on the team. At draft day in June we pick 5th and take a small forward again with the management telling us all about this kids heart and desire , which amount to nothing again as we still need grit and speed and skill with size. In the last round we take an unknown Russian kid nobody knows has played enough games to be eligible. Turns out to be the star player we haven't had since Bure.No offense to Daniel and Henrik. Actually turns out to be Pavel's unknown son who has been playing in the KHL with men since 16. Thatcher Demko is depressed with not being in the NHL already and demands the Canuck's trade him. Or maybe , just maybe the ghost of Pat Quinn visits Trevor Linden on Christmas eve and tells him where to find us Kirk Mclean Jyrki Lumme and Gus Adams kids to give us a chance at least. Last but not least Harold Snepts teaches the young defense men to grow a mustache like his and poof they magically turn into Norris trophy candidates overnight. In reality it wont be as bad as last year but we wont be in the playoffs either. Its rebuild time and we have to be patient. We have more years of missing the playoffs to come but we wont take as long as the Oilers to become relevant again.Now if we could just pick first ONCE!!!!

Henrik: 15 goals and 71 pts

Daniel: 19 goals and 68 pts

Horvat:  30   Goals and 67pts, 

Gagner 24 goals and 58 pts             

Boeser: 26 goals and 54 pts

Eriksson: 28 goals and 48 pts                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Granlund: 25 goals and 46 pts

Virtanen:  20 goals and 35 pts

Rodin 12 goals and34 pts

D Pouliot 12goals and 24pts

And I have the Canucks in the play-offs this year. JB has made a significant improvement across the board. 

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Henrik: 15 goals and 71 pts

Daniel: 19 goals and 68 pts

Horvat:  30   Goals and 67pts, 

Gagner 24 goals and 58 pts             

Boeser: 26 goals and 54 pts

Eriksson: 28 goals and 48 pts                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Granlund: 25 goals and 46 pts

Virtanen:  20 goals and 35 pts

Rodin 12 goals and34 pts

D Pouliot 12goals and 24pts

And I have the Canucks in the play-offs this year. JB has made a significant improvement across the board. 

You expect Pouliot to explode out of nowhere? He has 2 goals in 67 career games so far and 0 goals in the last two seasons in 33 games. He hasn't scored a goal in the NHL in over two years. Seems mighty optimistic to me.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

You expect Pouliot to explode out of nowhere? He has 2 goals in 67 career games so far and 0 goals in the last two seasons in 33 games. He hasn't scored a goal in the NHL in over two years. Seems mighty optimistic to me.

I do. And that's my prediction. I bet by the 25 game mark he will find his bearings. I expect him to have only one or two points in the first 20 games. I feel he will be better than Shultz in Pitts very quickly.   

I say our team record improves , but nowhere enough to get to the playoffs:

38-37-7 (83 points); 6th in division ahead of Arizona and Vegas, 25th in the league

We trade Dorsett, Vanek, and Edler come trade deadline.

Our top 5 points leaders are:

-Bo Horvat (32-30-62)

-Sven Baertschi (24-33-57)

-Markus Granlund (25-26-51)

-Daniel Sedin (27-22-49)

-Loui Eriksson (25-20-45)

Canucks play quite mediocre, with the exception of odd winning streaks in November and January, but after the trade deadline, the games go south and we miss playoffs no later than March 20th.

Now watch me be proven wrong, but not on the point leader front lol.

Eriksson has his best career year

Boeser emerges as the next coming of Patrick Kane

Stecher solidifies himself on the first unit PP.

Virtanen comes in like a wrecking ball and brea-a-a-ks McJesus. 

Derrick Pouliot finally plays like an 8th overall pick

Bo knows...even more how to win

Canucks win the Stanley Cup!

edit: Oh, and seven posters are locked in to predict "reserved". :P

After managing to stay in the top 3 in our division for much of the season, we will fade down the stretch but still squeak into the playoffs with a wild card. Way less injuries than the previous 2 years, Better than expected goaltending, a bit more production from the PP and defense and some key injuries to other teams.

The Canucks will again be in the mix for a playoff spot up until near the trade deadline.  Mostly this will be due to the division being much weaker than expected with only Edmonton really being a powerhouse.

The surprise player this season is going to be Burmistrov.  He will work his way into more minutes and finish with 15-20 goals and 40+ points.  He will also help win us a few shootout games.

It will be mixed feelings not being in the playoffs or at the bottom of the league.  We will have done it on the back of the veterans who will all have better years and not enough by the kids.

Goaltending will be uneven, something we aren't used to.  People will grouse about giving up seven goals sometimes, probably the same people who groused about WD playing such a passive style that he ensured we always lost by 2-1 or 3-2.

• Megna never plays a single shift in the NHL
  • Eriksson has a bounce-back season and scores 25
  • Gudbranson steps up and plays a solid, stay at home top 4 role but still gets the wrath of CDC
  • Vanek gets a 3rd rounder at the deadline
  • Tanev finishes the season in a Canucks jersey
  • Sedins post 40 points each
  • Virtanen starts to show more offense while bringing some energy and establishes himself as at least a 3rd liner
  • Del Zotto plays brutal in our own end and is a healthy scratch by the end of the season
  • We'll claim at least one guy on waivers who ends up in the starting lineup at the end of the year
  • Markstrom struggles in his new role
  • Horvat goes to the all-star game again and wears a letter for Team Canada in the Worlds
  • Lind and Gadjovich both make Team Canada for the WJHC
  • Pettersson dominates the WJHC and finishes in the top 3 in scoring
  • Hutton rebounds from his sophomore slump and has a greatly improved season.
  • We finish 30th OA and pick 4th again.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Canucks will finish 29th overall in the standings

Bo Horvat will be our leading point scorer with 60 points

Brock Boeser will be our leading goal scorer with 24 goals

Sedins will combine for 90 points.

Injuries will decimate our D men to the point that we have to call up Subban

Ben Hutton will reach 30 points

Loui Eriksson will get 15 goals.

Vanek or Tanev will be gone at the deadline.

On the last day of the season, McDavid will score his 40th goal and 110th point against Vancouver, winning the scoring title again.

Lets see how I did..........

Canucks will finish 29th overall in the standings

Canucks Finished 26th, but only 3 points out of 29th. Not bad.

Bo Horvat will be our leading point scorer with 60 points

Horvat got injured but Boeser was on pace to score more before he got injured.

Brock Boeser will be our leading goal scorer with 24 goals

Correct, but wrong number. Boeser had 29 not 24.

Sedins will combine for 90 points.

I underestimated them. They combined for 105 pts.

Injuries will decimate our D men to the point that we have to call up Subban

Lol.......Subban got traded

Ben Hutton will reach 30 points

Oh boy. Not even close.

Loui Eriksson will get 15 goals.

10 goals from Loui but he only played 50 games. He was on pace for 16 goals so not bad.

Vanek or Tanev will be gone at the deadline.

Bang on. Vanek was dealt.

On the last day of the season, McDavid will score his 40th goal and 110th point against Vancouver, winning the scoring title again.

Well he already had 40 goals, but he did win the scoring title again but with 108 points. Kind of close.

On 6/22/2017 at 6:35 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Predictions:

• Canucks will make the playoffs
  • Bo Horvat will lead the team in points
  • Markus Granlund will lead the team in goals
  • Henrik Sedin will lead the team in assists
  • Chris Tanev will have the highest +/-
  • Derek Dorsett will lead the team in penalty minutes
  • Brock Boeser will lead the team in shots on goal

Let's see how VC did....

• Canucks will make the playoffs Oh boy
  • Bo Horvat will lead the team in points I said this as well. But Boeser was scoring at a higher pace anyways.
  • Markus Granlund will lead the team in goals Oh boy
  • Henrik Sedin will lead the team in assists Bang on.
  • Chris Tanev will have the highest +/- Tanev was 2nd. Close.
  • Derek Dorsett will lead the team in penalty minutes Correct even though he only played 20 games.
  • Brock Boeser will lead the team in shots on goal Boeser would have if he didn't get injured. Daniel led the team in shots. Only 10 more than Boeser.

2 complete misses, 2 bang on, 2 very close, and 1 in the middle. Not bad.

Archived