The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

In my experience, most people (including myself) respect the talent but hate the man. Obviously that doesn't speak for everyone, but I've noticed it as the majority.

I personally don't hate the man for anything. He wanted to win more than anyone on the team thats indisputable. Sure he only wanted to go to one team, but it was to do with winning the cup, not chasing the dollars. 

Respect him a hell of a lot more than the old timers who ride off into the sunset chasing every last dollar they can make even though they haven't won yet. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I personally don't hate the man for anything. He wanted to win more than anyone on the team thats indisputable. Sure he only wanted to go to one team, but it was to do with winning the cup, not chasing the dollars. 

Respect him a hell of a lot more than the old timers who ride off into the sunset chasing every last dollar they can make even though they haven't won yet. 

I'm not gonna start a Kesler war in the Pettersson thread. Suffice it to say that I disagree.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

To be honest on most teams Kesler would be a 1C in his prime. 

Definitely.

Based on icetime, one could even argue he was the 1C in Vancouver during some of those prime years. Kesler probably averaged a full minute more TOI/G than Henrik between 2010-11 and 2011-12.

I’m not saying Kes was actually the 1C ahead of Hank. But playing 20+ minutes a night (and the most icetime of any forward), on the best team in the league, and where the other top-6 centreman just won the Art Ross and Hart—that usually means you’re pretty good.

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would hope not.  This is Pettersson's page.<_<

You mean you don’t enjoy seeing this thread used for discussions of former Canuck players? Or having it turn into a meet and greet for Canucks fans of Danish descent?

Sorry for my role in both.

Back to Pettersson then. Here are a couple interesting tweets on how amazing Elias has been this SHL season:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would hope not.  This is Pettersson's page.<_<

Sorry it stemmed from talking about Gaudettes ceiling and where he would top out at. Him behind Bo or Pettersson would be pretty ideal. Even having those as your middle 9 would be pretty exciting eventually. Pettersson as an elite wing is not a bad thing either. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Can you name the last 1st overall pick that didn't play in the NHL right after the draft? That being said I'm excited for next year we have a couple offensive young guys that will be ready to compete for a spot or 2. 

I'm pretty sure i read that he has only been on the ice for 5 or 6 even strength goals all season (as of a couple weeks ago). 

Yeh true But in Edmontons case they have been ruining #1 picks for 10 years. Then they go to other teams for rehab.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

To be honest on most teams Kesler would be a 1C in his prime. 

True... a warrior.

Which makes it even more depressing we couldn't win the cup.

That team had it all...

And if Gaudette turns into Kessler in his prime, we may just be looking another cup final team.

All we need is an improvement on the defence, and we're golden. (Still feel we could also do with a hard ass winger).

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

True... a warrior.

Which makes it even more depressing we couldn't win the cup.

That team had it all...

And if Gaudette turns into Kessler in his prime, we may just be looking another cup final team.

All we need is an improvement on the defence, and we're golden. (Still feel we could also do with a hard ass winger).

This I completely agree with. This current version of the Canucks is soft as warm butter and we need some physicality injected into the line-up. Hopefully, one or all of Lind, Gadjovich and Gaudette can provide that but we need more sandpaper. If we don't luck out and nab Dahlin/Boqvist, I wouldn't be angry if we added a 6ft 3", 220lbs Tkachuk to this group or even Kane. Couple that with Tryamkin possibly coming back and, hopefully, we lose the moniker of being easy to play against. We need some muscle and grit to augment what Petterson/Boeser/Dahlen would bring to the line-up.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Upvote 1

Kesler a 1c ?........Never would he be able. He could not pass to save his life. He was a dangerous  shutdown c/ defender. Because he could skate and shoot. But his game was exposed when he had to center a line on the offensive side of center.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You mean you don’t enjoy seeing this thread used for discussions of former Canuck players? Or having it turn into a meet and greet for Canucks fans of Danish descent?

Sorry for my role in both.

Back to Pettersson then. Here are a couple interesting tweets on how amazing Elias has been this SHL season:

Wow, that Daniel Rahimi guy is nearly as good defensively as Dahlin. Why hasn't the Canucks organization ever looked into him? He's 30 so won't cost too much. Probably has 4-7 more years in him. And he'll provide great veteran leadership for after we draft Dahlin. Plus, he plays on the same team as Pettersson. Chemistry!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

Kesler a 1c ?........Never would he be able. He could not pass to save his life. He was a dangerous  shutdown c/ defender. Because he could skate and shoot. But his game was exposed when he had to center a line on the offensive side of center.

I agree with this. 1C should make the players around him better. Kesler was not that.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree with this. 1C should make the players around him better. Kesler was not that.

To go back to the original post. "On most teams kesler would be a 1c in his prime"

Let's say his prime was 2011 when he scored 50 goals. 

Heres a list of teams he would have been the 1c on along with their actual 1c at the time.

New York rangers- Brandon dubinski/Derek Stephan

Nashville predators-david legwand

New Jersey devils-Travis Zajac

Columbus blue jackets-Antoine vermette/Derek brassard 

Buffalo sabers-Tim Connolly

Montreal Canadiens- Thomas plekanec 

Toronto maple leafs- Mikhail Grabovski

Calgary flames- Olli Jokinen

Edmonton oilers- Jordan Eberle

Phoenix coyotes- Eric Belanger

Atlanta thrashers- Rich Peverley

Florida Panthers- Stephen Weiss

Those are just the clear wins by kesler. Those aren't including teams with decent 1cs like koivu and brad Richards and Claude Giroux.

So again like the original post said, kesler would have been a 1c in his prime in most teams. Regardless of how much he used his linemates. 

• Cheers 3

57 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

To go back to the original post. "On most teams kesler would be a 1c in his prime"

Let's say his prime was 2011 when he scored 50 goals. 

Heres a list of teams he would have been the 1c on along with their actual 1c at the time.

New York rangers- Brandon dubinski/Derek Stephan

Nashville predators-david legwand

New Jersey devils-Travis Zajac

Columbus blue jackets-Antoine vermette/Derek brassard 

Buffalo sabers-Tim Connolly

Montreal Canadiens- Thomas plekanec 

Toronto maple leafs- Mikhail Grabovski

Calgary flames- Olli Jokinen

Edmonton oilers- Jordan Eberle

Phoenix coyotes- Eric Belanger

Atlanta thrashers- Rich Peverley

Florida Panthers- Stephen Weiss

Those are just the clear wins by kesler. Those aren't including teams with decent 1cs like koivu and brad Richards and Claude Giroux.

So again like the original post said, kesler would have been a 1c in his prime in most teams. Regardless of how much he used his linemates. 

Good point. When you put in comparison to other teams, Kesler as 1C in most teams argument has some good merit.

But on the other hand, I think none of those teams had a 1C in my opinion. To be precise, what I meant was that he was not a 1C on this team in 2011 or whenever, and he does not meet what I think of a true 1C. 

Like 1D, true 1C is hard to find and most teams don't have one. We are hoping Bo develops into that and he is close but he may never get there. Hopefully he will, or maybe Petterssson will.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, khay said:

Good point. When you put in comparison to other teams, Kesler as 1C in most teams argument has some good merit.

But on the other hand, I think none of those teams had a 1C in my opinion. To be precise, what I meant was that he was not a 1C on this team in 2011 or whenever, and he does not meet what I think of a true 1C. 

Like 1D, true 1C is hard to find and most teams don't have one. We are hoping Bo develops into that and he is close but he may never get there. Hopefully he will, or maybe Petterssson will.

We need to have a different name for this 1d 1c business. 

I get what your saying though. While horvat is technically a 1c Crosby is something else. 

Tanev a 1d but burns is something else. 

I think we should use the term "elite" for the type of player your talking about.

To me there are 31 1cs I  the league and 31 1ds.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2