The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

20 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

Is Jonah Gadjovich a soft J? Benning said it with a soft J at the draft and I've been wondering ever since.

If you know any Eastern European people they would say the j as a soft y sound and the ch could be a k sound or ch sound depending on his family's roots

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

If you know any Eastern European people they would say the j as a soft y sound and the ch could be a k sound or ch sound depending on his family's roots

Hey guys,  his last name is either Serbian or Croatian so the 'dj' sound sounds like the G in Gino or...  the 'dj' in Odjick ;)  

The 'ch' is the same as the 'Cz' in Czech Republic.  

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hey guys,  his last name is either Serbian or Croatian so the 'dj' sound sounds like the G in Gino or...  the 'dj' in Odjick ;)  

The 'ch' is the same as the 'Cz' in Czech Republic.  

That sounds likely right...or like me ...he is 6th generation Canadian and various other European counties before that...so I pronounce my last name ending in "ich" however the Canadian spirit moves me....

On 14/12/2017 at 11:02 PM, Derp... said:

Bo Horvat was such a good pick looking back. He’s one of the few guys who can match up vs speed or size effectively and still have an advantage.

Pettersson will need the speed to get to elite status. All the smaller guys who succeed have top end wheels. 

Kyle Turris is actually an interesting comparable. I kind of see him as an average development curve for Pettersson in the NHL. 

Horvat is probably one of those guys I bet the vets from the other team don't want to face. He's one of those guys that when you try to hit, you end up feeling the pain too. He's literally built like an ox but is also fast. 

We need Jake to play like that too. And soon Jonas. 

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Difference between Jonathan Dahlen and future Canuck Rasmus Dahlin? 

Dalhen - Daal (like the indian dish) en (like in "enter")

Dahlin - Daal (like the indian dish) in (like in "info") 

I think that makes sense, at least in my mind. 

I’m not a “Swedish Chef” like you (I’m Danish first language and an English native speaker), so maybe I’m hearing it wrong, but when I listen to the games and interviews from Swedish TV, both Dahlén and Dahlin sound a bit different to my ears.

To me Dahlén sounds a lot like this language sample.

Kind of sounds like “dah-lee-n” and has a very noticeable stressed “ee” sound before the n. 

The “daal-en” you suggested (at least for me) sounds more like a German pronunciation for the name Dahlen (without an accented e).

And to me, Dahlin sounds a lot like this language sample.

Basically to my ear, the “in” part of Dahlin and “in” part of Sedin sound roughly the same (kind of like “een”).

So Dahlin sounds (to me anyway) something more like “dah-leen” instead of “daal-in.”

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m not a “Swedish Chef” like you (I’m Danish first language and an English native speaker), so maybe I’m hearing it wrong, but when I listen to the games and interviews from Swedish TV, both Dahlén and Dahlin sound a bit different to my ears.

To me Dahlén sounds a lot like this language sample.

Kind of sounds like “dah-lee-n” and has a very noticeable stressed “ee” sound before the n. 

The “daal-en” you suggested (at least for me) sounds more like a German pronunciation for the name Dahlen (without an accented e).

And to me, Dahlin sounds a lot like this language sample.

Basically to my ear, the “in” part of Dahlin and “in” part of Sedin sound roughly the same (kind of like “een”).

So Dahlin sounds (to me anyway) something more like “dah-leen” instead of “daal-in.”

The language samples you posted is the correct way to pronounce both names. Then there is dialects and accents involved in the whole thing and yada yada. 

Jonathan is from my hometown and his dad actually grew up with the same group of friends as my dad. So my accent matches the way he pronounces it. 

My post was directed at north american speakers who pronounce things differently. They even use different muscles than you and I would if we are speaking Swedish or Danish. Questionmark when it comes to danish if you even pronounce your words or just breathe something out hahaha :D I'm joking <3. Fun to hear some other Scandinavians are on here as well, wouldn't have guessed you were danish.  

Really good samples there, so if anyone wants to hear it said rather than reading my attempt at making some sense out of it go ahead. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 4

Game Day thread had this (with a note about EP being in the country):

85mq2Oz7Wfr13RrqbHq_4OIFzgatkkykofC4GY-dEAg.jpg?w=431&s=4221502a3ff2dd9f52dea692336e97cd

So you Nux Fans back east should practise this chant, and greet EP with it every chance you get:

On 10/28/2017 at 11:56 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thought this deserved a place in the thread (didn't see it posted yet).

Crowd chant by Växjö fans last game roughly translates as follows:

Elias is our idol!

Elias is our idol!

He scores so f-ing many goals!

Elias is our idol!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Questionmark when it comes to danish if you even pronounce your words or just breathe something out hahaha :D I'm joking <3.

:lol:

Yeah, us Danes apparently have potatoes lodged in our throats which cause us to butcher the language, or so I’ve heard. ;) 

And we talk too fast and shorten most words by not pronouncing all the letters.

The language differences are pretty funny. 

And my family might disown me for saying it, but I think Swedish generally sounds nicer than Danish.

Interesting that Dahlén and his family pronounce their name more like Dahlen (without the accent). Is that more of a regional Swedish thing or just from all the time Ulf and the family spent overseas?

8 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

wouldn't have guessed you were danish.  

Haha, yeah. I’m very Canadianized. Was fully bilingual as a kid but my Danish has eroded from years spent speaking pretty much exclusively English. My Danish comes back when I go back “home” for visits, but I need a good week or two before that part of my brain really clicks back in. Plus, I have to either hang around old folks or little kids to actually practice my Danish because most Danes speak such perfect English.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Trying to find WJH preview of Sweden. Lots of chatter about other players. Kinda feels like Knowbody back east want to mention Elias P. One article called him a defensive forward. Can't wait until he rips up the Tournament. 

The best part is he is a defensive forward compared to most guys his age lol