The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/13/2017 at 12:06 PM, Canadian Clay said:

Something to keep in mind with pettersson, pretty much every year an undersized player is taken in the first round who eventually grows into his frame and becomes an impact player. Some examples (all players are between 5'11" and 6'1"):

2007 - Kyle Turris 165 pounds when drafted, 190 pounds now

2008 - Erik Karlsson 165 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2009 - Evander Kane 170 pounds when drafted, 212 pounds now

2010 - Evgeni Kuznetsoz 170 pounds when drafter, 204 pounds now

2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins 164 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2012 - Filip Forsberg 176 pounds when drafted, 205 pounds now

2013 - Andre Burakovsky 176 pounds when drafted, 201 pounds now

2014 - William Nylander 170 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2015 - Matt Barzal 175 pounds when drafted, 189 pounds now

All draft weigh-ins retrieved from http://www.mynhldraft.com, all current weigh-ins from nhl.com

Should also be noted that a lot of these players dropped lower in the draft because of concerns about their size. Pettersson was listed at 6'2" 160 pounds when drafted, currently around 161-165 depending on which website you check only ~6 months since the draft. quite reasonable to assume he will eventually get to 185-195 in a few years. 

If he reaches this weight, he will be around the same size as currents centres in the nhl such as Stamkos (194), McDavid (192), Giroux (185), Trochek (182), and Monohan (195) all of whom are in the top 15 for scoring among centres in the NHL. 

Also important to remember that Bo Horvat is 223 pounds and can easily be matched up against other teams top lines, meaning Pettersson won't be relied upon to serve that Big-body centre role. 

TL;DR anyone worrying about Pettersson's weight is complaining about basically nothing

It would be interesting to put their playing weight and then compare to 10 years after retiring....:lol:

• Upvote 1

Bo Horvat was such a good pick looking back. He’s one of the few guys who can match up vs speed or size effectively and still have an advantage.

Pettersson will need the speed to get to elite status. All the smaller guys who succeed have top end wheels. 

Kyle Turris is actually an interesting comparable. I kind of see him as an average development curve for Pettersson in the NHL. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

I hope the media gets his name right.

Its Eee-Lee-us not uh-lie-us

Most people get it wrong

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

Is Jonah Gadjovich a soft J? Benning said it with a soft J at the draft and I've been wondering ever since.

Benning is all over the place when saying people's names.  He said Petterson's last name correctly only moments before drafting him (watch the draft video), then mispronounces it when he drafts him.  He's said Jonah's name both ways as well.

4 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Benning is all over the place when saying people's names.  He said Petterson's last name correctly only moments before drafting him (watch the draft video), then mispronounces it when he drafts him.  He's said Jonah's name both ways as well.

Haha I know makes you scratch your head 

9 hours ago, JaboVancouver said:

Why did you put Juolevi in quotes? Are you implying that he doesn't really exist? Cause that would blow my mind.

No, I was referring to his pronunciation of the name. If you know some Finnish, it was too funny. Just like "Palmu", which he pronounced like it was French. 

• Upvote 1