The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey Hutton

I don't normally think trading down is a great idea

But...........

This draft is Dman heavy for a reason.........one of either the forwards aren't that strong or the Dman are

So I am a little scattered on this draft

#1. we need a Dman out of the 1st round

#2. preferably 2 Dman out of the first round

#3. Take them this year, because they take awhile to mature (3/4 years)

#4. Take another in the 2nd Round

#5. I know this is radical, and I am conflicted

#6. Forwards enter the NHL quicker, so we can push that next year

#7. Hard to get Good Dman in UFA

#8. We have more forward prospects with NHL potential

#9. And in saying that..........I am not totally sold on my idea

Just spit-balling some turmoil in my head, but picking up 3 potential top end Dmen prospects would sure put us ahead of the game?????

Thoughts about the above? Other than I am insane? Joke....hopefully!

Pretty sure not insane, if that's any consolation? ;)

But again, I think you take your lotto position whatever it may be and draft your BPA, UNLESS there is a real overpayment on the table and you are confident you will still get who you want.  It doesn't happen often because teams aren't willing to pay the exorbitant ask to move up, especially near the top of the order.  I like that especially with Brackett in there they seem to be doing their due diligence, so am confident they will get the guy they project to be what they want and need.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course Dahlin and Boqvist, we were talking about if those two aren't an option though.

I see Bouchard as having the same potential as Juolevi. Yes he has the potential to be a top pairing guy, but realistically we should expect him to be a really solid second pairing guy or a guy that compliments a number 1 guy.

Either way I'd rather have elite scoring and average defense, then average scoring and only slightly above average D. I just don't see the 2nd tier D-men being dynamic enough to solve our problems on D.

Exactly. Other than Dahlin and Boqvist all these other d-men project as second pairing d-men. Some of them lack the dynamic qualities of their game which is what today's game is all about. We don't need to use top 5-8 picks on these level players. They are easily acquirable through trades and FA. When you are picking top 8, you want game changers and NHL ready game changers.

How does a second pairing d-man move the needle for us? What we need are dynamic elite skating impact defenders who project as #1-2 d-men. Only Dahlin and Boqvist really project as those type of defenders IMO and most scouting services agree with this.

If we can't get those 2 defenders they must go for a forward IMO. The whole point of "Tanking" or finishing as low as possible is to get impact players. There are 3-4 forwards who could step in right away and produce big points and actually advance this team. Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk could come in and put up 50-60 points right away and be game changers.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course Dahlin and Boqvist, we were talking about if those two aren't an option though.

I see Bouchard as having the same potential as Juolevi. Yes he has the potential to be a top pairing guy, but realistically we should expect him to be a really solid second pairing guy or a guy that compliments a number 1 guy.

Either way I'd rather have elite scoring and average defense, then average scoring and only slightly above average D. I just don't see the 2nd tier D-men being dynamic enough to solve our problems on D.

the question is.. would juolevi and bouchard be a top pairing?  stech is doing pretty good but where is he at his prime? kid oozes talent but is what 23 now?

53 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the question is.. would juolevi and bouchard be a top pairing?  stech is doing pretty good but where is he at his prime? kid oozes talent but is what 23 now?

Realistically I would think that is a second pairing.

If we're picking 8-15 sure then we may want to roll the dice that he'll surprise and be a number 1. If we're draftin 3-7 I don't think it's worth the risk.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Realistically I would think that is a second pairing.

If we're picking 8-15 sure then we may want to roll the dice that he'll surprise and be a number 1. If we're draftin 3-7 I don't think it's worth the risk.

Dobson is a beileved 2nd pairing d man too.  Boqvist. is he beileved to be a top pairing guy? or 2nd pair?

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Dobson is a beileved 2nd pairing d man too.  Boqvist. is he beileved to be a top pairing guy? or 2nd pair?

Boqvist projects to be a number 1 guy. I've heard him called an Erik Karlsson clone by a couple scouts,

Dynamic skater that can lead the rush and has the potential to be a game changer.

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey Hutton

I don't normally think trading down is a great idea

But...........

This draft is Dman heavy for a reason.........one of either the forwards aren't that strong or the Dman are

So I am a little scattered on this draft

#1. we need a Dman out of the 1st round

#2. preferably 2 Dman out of the first round

#3. Take them this year, because they take awhile to mature (3/4 years)

#4. Take another in the 2nd Round

#5. I know this is radical, and I am conflicted

#6. Forwards enter the NHL quicker, so we can push that next year

#7. Hard to get Good Dman in UFA

#8. We have more forward prospects with NHL potential

#9. And in saying that..........I am not totally sold on my idea

Just spit-balling some turmoil in my head, but picking up 3 potential top end Dmen prospects would sure put us ahead of the game?????

Thoughts about the above? Other than I am insane? Joke....hopefully!

Elite D are harder to find and often take longer to develop Elite D can influence the game more than at any other position - they also affect how good your goalie looks - IF they are elite both offensively and defensively.  We have never really had one in Vancouver (except maybe for Paul Reinhart - and by the time we got him he had a bad back).  Just think Detroit with Lidstrom... and then without, LA with Doughty and then without, the fact that Edmonton (for all of their talent up front) does not have one, or Chicago now that Keith and Seabrooke have past their prime.  I agree that, this looks like the year to draft one - or, if miracles can happen, two!  A high first round pick and a middle of the first round pick could do the job.  Interesting to find out what Tanev might mean to the right team.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If it's a defenseman that they believe can be a number 1-2 guy sure. I personally don't believe Liljegren or Bouchard are number 1-2 guys. Probably second pairing guys, and we already have those.

If that's the case 2nd pairing guys can easily be found in the second or third round with alot less risk.

I'd rather go with the more sure pick which would be Tkachuk or Zadina.

Agree

zadina or tkachuk is who I would take if Dahlin is gone 

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry DeNiro

Don't mean to be cheaky....but

When you stated that, I immediately thought about Edmonton

We need a center or d man in the top of this draft. Either that or make a trade.  Or we could very well fall into the Edmonton trap. 

Lets say we take Tkachuk, reasonable, but it fails to address the biggest team weakness, one that cannot be solved thru FA, one that holds back many teams with elite talent. 

Who are the transitional puck movers. OJ could be one, but most would say he is not enough.  

If we do draft a scoring winger, we need to trade for the d man we need so badly. Not just any guy but a legit #1 guy. 

Thats going to be a move that will hurt a lot. One of our top young players/prospects would have to go the other way. That would mean Horvat, Boeser, OJ or Pettersson.  

It won’t be OJ, cause we still need him, can’t see it being Horvat as we need centers almost as much as d men, so it would take Boeser or Pettersson to get that much needed d man that we don’t take by drafting Tkachuk. 

The need for a #1 d man has plagued this team always and absolutely has to be addressed this draft IMO. 

With the cap space for FA players to round out the roster. The plethora of young good talent about to enter the system for next season and having some older players hopefully retire, next season I doubt we finish in the bottom 5 in the league. I see is as a bubble team. 

So now is the time to address a team need over the BPA if Dahlin and Bloqvist are gone.  Honestly think that Bouchard could be our guy.  

EmW

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

They are competing together at the Olympics

That’s what I was going to point out as well. 

Although the full extent to it is that they are only competing together in women’s ice hockey and entering the opening ceremonies under ONE flag. 

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We need a center or d man in the top of this draft. Either that or make a trade.  Or we could very well fall into the Edmonton trap. 

Lets say we take Tkachuk, reasonable, but it fails to address the biggest team weakness, one that cannot be solved thru FA, one that holds back many teams with elite talent. 

Who are the transitional puck movers. OJ could be one, but most would say he is not enough.  

If we do draft a scoring winger, we need to trade for the d man we need so badly. Not just any guy but a legit #1 guy. 

Thats going to be a move that will hurt a lot. One of our top young players/prospects would have to go the other way. That would mean Horvat, Boeser, OJ or Pettersson.  

It won’t be OJ, cause we still need him, can’t see it being Horvat as we need centers almost as much as d men, so it would take Boeser or Pettersson to get that much needed d man that we don’t take by drafting Tkachuk. 

The need for a #1 d man has plagued this team always and absolutely has to be addressed this draft IMO. 

With the cap space for FA players to round out the roster. The plethora of young good talent about to enter the system for next season and having some older players hopefully retire, next season I doubt we finish in the bottom 5 in the league. I see is as a bubble team. 

So now is the time to address a team need over the BPA if Dahlin and Bloqvist are gone.  Honestly think that Bouchard could be our guy.  

EmW

Um why do you think we need a Centre or dman at top of draft. Dman is obvious need but Centre?

right now we have:

Horvat

Henrik

Sutter

Gagner/Granlund

Gaunce

Horvat has already proven he can be a top 6 C and could still improve upon that. Plus a monster in the dot.

Henrik most likely will be back for another year. 

Sutter is locked up for awhile.

Gaudette is on his way.

Petterrsson is looking amazing.

the top of this draft has high end wingers and dman and those imo are our biggest needs.

we also cannot fall into the Edmonton trap as we have had veterans insulating our youth and we don't have a team led by entitled first round kids whose bodies aren't matured yet.

IMO - scenario we take Tkachuk answers a massive team need.

1st a bonafide top line left winger

2nd we need guys who play the hard physical game like him and have a mean streak

these players are very rare and whe would make a huge difference in our team identity and would be important in the playoffs, future line of:

Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser

Looks good to me and if we take a high end winger like:

Zadina, Svech, Tkachuk we have the rest of the draft to take dmen

majorirt of dman in the league are not picked in the top 5/10 anyways. 

Sorrt bet I disagree with a lot of your points I tried to see it from ur point I just feel differently - and I'll end with I agree I believe our management will be high on Bouchard to they must have scouted him A LOT considering he was OJ d partner before

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

12 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Exactly. Other than Dahlin and Boqvist all these other d-men project as second pairing d-men.

Just a little devil's advocate here but we have examples of McAvoy recently or say Karlsson historically, who were also early-mid 1st ranked, supposed '2nd pair/tier' D.

It's not insane to suggest drafting a Dobson, Bouchard etc. This is where the worlds of good scouting and some good luck overlap.

Of course, REALLY good luck would be winning 1st overall :lol:

I also agree with the sentiment that it's far easier to find/trade/sign for top 6 wingers than even solid 1st/2nd pair D.

Again, this is where scouting and luck overlap. The Canucks could do well (and be better off) by trading down. It is s possibility. Doesn't mean they should or make any guarantee though either. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Um why do you think we need a Centre or dman at top of draft. Dman is obvious need but Centre?

right now we have:

Horvat

Henrik

Sutter

Gagner/Granlund

Gaunce

Horvat has already proven he can be a top 6 C and could still improve upon that. Plus a monster in the dot.

Henrik most likely will be back for another year. 

Sutter is locked up for awhile.

Gaudette is on his way.

Petterrsson is looking amazing.

the top of this draft has high end wingers and dman and those imo are our biggest needs.

we also cannot fall into the Edmonton trap as we have had veterans insulating our youth and we don't have a team led by entitled first round kids whose bodies aren't matured yet.

IMO - scenario we take Tkachuk answers a massive team need.

1st a bonafide top line left winger

2nd we need guys who play the hard physical game like him and have a mean streak

these players are very rare and whe would make a huge difference in our team identity and would be important in the playoffs, future line of:

Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser

Looks good to me and if we take a high end winger like:

Zadina, Svech, Tkachuk we have the rest of the draft to take dmen

majorirt of dman in the league are not picked in the top 5/10 anyways. 

Sorrt bet I disagree with a lot of your points I tried to see it from ur point I just feel differently - and I'll end with I agree I believe our management will be high on Bouchard to they must have scouted him A LOT considering he was OJ d partner before

I see is as weakest on Defence and then at Center. Where I think we have some decent prospect depth is at wing. 

Is EP a center or winger in the NHL?  Beyond Horvat we drop off quickly unless Gaudette lives up to his promise. 

That being said, we could always use a bonified top three left winger.  Just that I place the need of defender and centers higher. 

Young wingers in the Org.

Boeser

Baer

Granlund

Virtannen

Goldy

Dahlen

Pettersson

Lind

Gadjovich

Lockwood

At Center

Horvat

Sutter

Gaunce

Gaudette

Pettersson?

Lind?

At Defence

Juolevi

Trymakin If he comes back

then a steep drop to

McEnemy

Brisbiois

Chatfield...

By all means let’s take Tkachuk, but it means we have to find our next top defender by other means.  

History shows that it is much harder to get that elusive top d man other than drafting him. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Just a little devil's advocate here but we have examples of McAvoy recently or say Karlsson historically, who were also early-mid 1st ranked, supposed '2nd pair/tier' D.

It's not insane to suggest drafting a Dobson, Bouchard etc. This is where the worlds of good scouting and some good luck overlap.

Of course, REALLY good luck would be winning 1st overall :lol:

I also agree with the sentiment that it's far easier to find/trade/sign for top 6 wingers than even solid 1st/2nd pair D.

Again, this is where scouting and luck overlap. The Canucks could do well (and be better off) by trading down. It is s possibility. Doesn't mean they should or make any guarantee though either. 

Look where McAvoy and Karlsson were drafted though, in the teens. Ottawa and Boston were both lucky the way they have developed. 

We're talking about a top 8 pick here. If we were drafting outside the top 10, then sure I would look at Dobson, Wilde, Bouchard. But these three d-men project as second pairing d-man. Sure they can become top pairing d-men but why take that risk with a top 8 pick when we have been burned by this decision before. We can't afford to screw up these picks.

You have these sure-fire, physically and skill wise NHL ready studs. 

Svechnikov - 6'3 200

Zadina - 6'1 192

Tkachuk - 6'3 205

Unless we can't come out with Dahlin or Boqvist take one of Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi/Wahlstrom/Farabee

Trade Tanev for another first. Use that First on a defenceman.

Trade Vanek and Gudbranson for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Use those picks on defencemen.

Use our high second round pick on a defenceman.

See how this is a better strategy? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Look where McAvoy and Karlsson were drafted though, in the teens. Ottawa and Boston were both lucky the way they have developed. 

We're talking about a top 8 pick here. If we were drafting outside the top 10, then sure I would look at Dobson, Wilde, Bouchard. But these three d-men project as second pairing d-man. Sure they can become top pairing d-men but why take that risk with a top 8 pick when we have been burned by this decision before. We can't afford to screw up these picks.

You have these sure-fire, physically and skill wise NHL ready studs. 

Svechnikov - 6'3 200

Zadina - 6'1 192

Tkachuk - 6'3 205

Unless we can't come out with Dahlin or Boqvist take one of Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi/Wahlstrom/Farabee

Trade Tanev for another first. Use that First on a defenceman.

Trade Vanek and Gudbranson for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Use those picks on defencemen.

Use our high second round pick on a defenceman.

See how this is a better strategy? 

Who replaces Tanev while we wait 3-4 years for that mid 1st defencemen to develop?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I see is as weakest on Defence and then at Center. Where I think we have some decent prospect depth is at wing. 

Is EP a center or winger in the NHL?  Beyond Horvat we drop off quickly unless Gaudette lives up to his promise. 

That being said, we could always use a bonified top three left winger.  Just that I place the need of defender and centers higher. 

Young wingers in the Org.

Boeser

Baer

Granlund

Virtannen

Goldy

Dahlen

Pettersson

Lind

Gadjovich

Lockwood

At Center

Horvat

Sutter

Gaunce

Gaudette

Pettersson?

Lind?

At Defence

Juolevi

Trymakin If he comes back

then a steep drop to

McEnemy

Brisbiois

Chatfield...

By all means let’s take Tkachuk, but it means we have to find our next top defender by other means.  

History shows that it is much harder to get that elusive top d man other than drafting him. 

How did Columbus get Jones?  We should ALWAYS draft the BPA with our first pick.  We can always trade him later (Tkatchuk for example) for an elite and young dman.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2