The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

I watched Mike Vernon ,Grant fuhr ,Richard Broduer and many other goalies be unbeatable to say the goalies were garbage is a joke. Look at the size of the equipment etc. The biggest difference is defensemen can skate backwards as fast as players come at them.

Garbage is a rather strong word, but just where in today's NHL do you think 5'10 Fuhr with his lifetime .887 save percentage or 5'9 Vernon's .889 would fit? Whether you believe it or not, goalies are much bigger, better, and harder to score on now than they were in the 80's.

14 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Some of you may be interested in these era adjusted numbers to support your arguments one way or the other.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/era-adjusted-wayne-gretzky-still-great-one/

Did I derail this topic?  You guys are still talking about this. Lol.  Sorry fellas.  

Ep40 looks to have similar movements as Leumiex . Very encouraging to see such a talent. Not many players like that. Malkin is to thick to be a direct comparable. 

Ep40 might just be a lighter version of 66. His fav player was Forsberg tho so I can imagine him doing his best to try and fill out like he did.

Its a different league now for sure. I'm curious if we may see more scoring in this new era. I think we can all agree seeing 5-4 or 7-5 games is far more entertaining then 2-1 or 3-2 wins.  

If we need to look at streamlining more Goalie gear I am all in. The goalies will hate their save percentage and GGA but it would be better long term I think.

Seeing the Winnipeg / Minnesota game last night. I remembered just how much stuff doesn't get called. Gudbranson will be a huge add come the post season once we are good.

I'm all on board the trade Tanev club if the value is there. If we can get 80 cents on the dollar I'll take it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

I watched Mike Vernon ,Grant fuhr ,Richard Broduer and many other goalies be unbeatable to say the goalies were garbage is a joke. Look at the size of the equipment etc. The biggest difference is defensemen can skate backwards as fast as players come at them.

Don't forget shot blocking. Skaters used to wear padding, now they have body armor and they're willing to fill shooting lanes and step in front of shots.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not saying he is the next Gretzky, but he does kind of play and skate like him.  He seems to see the game a couple of steps ahead like Gretzky did.

I doubt he will get 3000 points.  I doubt he will set annual scoring records.  I do, however, think he may have the makings of our next great star.  He is special.  His teammates have been around and the way they talked about him was on a when different level than the way teammates usually talk about their top players.

He has some similarities in his skating, they are both bean poles and have a blend of High IQ, Shoot, Skill and anticipation.  

A couple of big big differences to me at this stage, two way play has become the buzzword for hockey. We don’t get into high scoring 7 goal to 8 goal games anymore.  EP plays a fairly solid complete game.  Gretzky was almost completely focused on scoring. In today’s NHL, a coach would have a heart attack with the gunslinger tendencies of offence driven players from the good old days. 

I honestly see more of a Datzuykian like ability. Nifty and fearless in tight, beats goalies on surprising shots from crazy angles and intercepting the puck while playing defence.  

He will soon become the Canucks leading scorer, in two to three years.  

He isn’t going to ever reach the totals put up by the great one.  He does have the potential to be a very effective playoff performer and hopefully wins as many cups as the great one!!!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He has some similarities in his skating, they are both bean poles and have a blend of High IQ, Shoot, Skill and anticipation.  

A couple of big big differences to me at this stage, two way play has become the buzzword for hockey. We don’t get into high scoring 7 goal to 8 goal games anymore.  EP plays a fairly solid complete game.  Gretzky was almost completely focused on scoring. In today’s NHL, a coach would have a heart attack with the gunslinger tendencies of offence driven players from the good old days. 

I honestly see more of a Datzuykian like ability. Nifty and fearless in tight, beats goalies on surprising shots from crazy angles and intercepting the puck while playing defence.  

He isn’t going to ever reach the totals put up by the great one.  He does have the potential to be a very effective playoff performer and hopefully wins as many cups as the great one!!!  

So we now have Datsyuk as a comparable.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Forsberg, Henrik, Datsyuk, who else? 

Sounds like he's a generational player. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, khay said:

With all the hype he has been getting I'd almost be disappointed now if he wasn't. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I bet he leads the NHL in scoring acouple times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, khay said:

We make comparable’s to playing styles all the time. I did not say he would be Datsuyk, but plays a similar style as Datsuyk.  To me that is a big difference. 

He has a legit prospect resume that could be used as a projection to his NHL potential. 

Recently drafted players that have performed not as well in the same league at the same age are HHOFer’s, some more will be soon added to the list (Sedins) so there is reason to compare him to exceptional players vs say ‘EP has Kyle Wellwood like ability’ the same weight just half a foot taller. 

He just could be our generational player.  

I have never followed a draft lead up as close as this one. The off the charts potential of Dahlin with Pettersson on this team would be generational for the Canucks. 

Long odds and more than likely we drop to the nineth spot, but I read this everyday.   I am a grown man, family, career and I still follow this team like a kid collecting hockey cards.  

Colour me a homer, I think the the players the JB has found in the last few drafts are going to have a lasting positive impact on this franchise. 

EmW

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, richado said:

I feel like Mitch Marner is a good comparison for Pettersson in terms of skill set and play style, though Pettersson looks to have a higher ceiling. Hopefully.

Comparing Mitch Marner to Elias Pettersson is like comparing Yanick Weber to PK Subban. LOL  :lol: 

Spoiler

Okay.. lol maybe that's taking it a tad far. :P

Edited by Rush17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, at least the expectations for him are reasonable and realistic.

What's wrong with hyping a 19 year old player who scores out of this world goals and sets up goals and has a unbelievable one timer to have expectations and who lead a mens league in the SHL in scoring. I not only expect it I think his ceiling is higher than any player playing in the NHL.

1- He thinks the game and makes plays at high speed

2- He isn't relying on his speed to do things , He is fast but not fast enough to end his career because of it. (ie Pavel Bure)

I have not seen a prospect in 20 Years that I have been this excited for. If the draft was done over right now he goes #2. If the draft could be done over in three years he goes solid number 1 as a generational talent.

If he was a little heavier he would have dominated even more in the SHL. He started slow and figured out how to get points, I expect that from him next year.

I watched Forsberg in Sweden at his age and he had power and moves, But EP has something Forsberg didn't have. A uni cycle! 

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I hope so but with Mcdavid in the league it will be hard

McDavid will not ever get much more than he did this year. McDavid has to work hard for his points. That will lead to painful hits and injuries. EP will get point and not even be noticed out on the ice some nights. If you don't notice McDavid he does not show up on the scorecard. That's a weakness, at this level. Anyways its what I expect and if I am wrong it wouldn't be the first. I havn't ran this by my wife yet, so I could still be wrong?