The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How in the hell does a rookie with 2 NHL games to his name become the best player on his NHL team?? I have no idea.

But here we are and Elias Pettersson has done it.

It happens rarely but it does happen. The latest example before EP was McDavid.  I did not want to over hype our own EP but this kid could get 100 points this year if he avoids someone killing him....WOW.

most exciting players in leauge now, is Mcdavid Crosby and Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks.

We have a special player on hand right now.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I've waited 20 years for this to be honest.

what am I talking about?

On January 17 1999, Pavel Bure was traded.  People were talking about it,  media, etc, don Taylor.  and I think they interviewed Jim Robson for his reactions.   He was asked if the Canucks will ever "get a player like bure again" he said no, he doesn't think a player unique like him will ever come by our franchise. 

Fast forward now to Oct 8 2018, we finally found another player with at least bure's caliber or level.  Pettersson is a star in the making and I think It will be him vs Mcdavid for years to come. 

I'll admit Bure was on another level that speed at that time and the hands to back it up you just never saw it, of course there will never be a Bure again if I did have to pick someone I would pick McDavid. Not many players can skate that fast and have the hands to back it up in this era of hockey, McDavid can literally blow by people like Bure did back then McDavid is a freak.

I'm making the EP comparison to Bure because for Canucks comparisons, not NHL comparisons, the Canucks haven't had a player who has good speed with the hands and shot to back it all up since Bure imo. He seems to have that ability so far when he touches the puck or gets control of it, to make you really watch because who knows what he may pull off with the IQ he has, and he has speed to go with it, so you really want to see a nice move possibly or who knows, but I haven't been this excited watching a Canuck when he has control of the puck since Bure 100%. 

As for my NHL comparisons for EP, and I understand it's only been 2 games and I'm already comparing him to Bure some may say I'm jumping the gun on my opinion on a small sample size so far, but I've been watching hockey for years and when you see talent you see it, but I think a good comparison is Peter Forsberg. Bure was a goal scorer he wasn't a set up guy he just wanted to score goals, although he had the IQ if he wanted to set guys up but majority of the time he just wanted to score, little selfish but still exciting to watch. Forsberg was an all around team player who had mad skills but could do it all, he wasn't just limited to scoring or just being a set up guy, he did it all. I see EP more on that level, and not just a 1 dimensional type player like Bure was, I don't expect EP to be as fast as Bure was where he would blow by people like McDavid can, but I see him as a good fast skater who has the hands to make the dekes to get past D, or make moves to set up someone blind because he has that smart hockey IQ. 

All I can really think about is when this kid gets a couple years older and fills out more, watch out I think he's going to be insane, but you're right Canucks fans have been waiting a long time for a player of Bure caliber to come again and I think we may of finally found one!

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How in the hell does a rookie with 2 NHL games to his name become the best player on his NHL team?? I have no idea.

But here we are and Elias Pettersson has done it.

It happens rarely but it does happen. The latest example before EP was McDavid.  I did not want to over hype our own EP but this kid could get 100 points this year if he avoids someone killing him....WOW.

Mathews was the best player in his team as well before Tavares

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Two years in a row we did really well at the draft. I have always said you don't always get the best player when you win the draft. But you won't know until year three or more. I felt hughes was the best defenseman in the draft last year. We won't know for two years. But Elias would hands down go first over all if he played in the WHL or with his peers because he would have had 150 plus points. (but we will never know). Any player top 10 could turn out to be the BPA. When you pick 4 through 10 you can usually take your man. When you pick 1-3 you usually take the players ranked 1-3. Now how often is central scouting wrong? Ask Edmonton! Alexander Daigle etc etc.

As I have said for a year plus we have our stud center ice man. And its looking like it. 

Yes, it's kind of funny the way it works. 

It took some guts from Columbus to select PLD over Puljujarvi, who everyone thought was crazy not to pick Puljujarvi. And it took a lot of gut from Montreal this year to select Kotkaniemi. We know how PLD was the right pick at #3 and we will have to see how Kotkaniemi turns out but I think they will be very happy with Kotkaniemi.

And I hope you are right about Hughes. 

Wait, wait, wait, Let me get this straight, EP was a winger all of last year taking no faceoffs, waltzes out winning 60 percent of his draws in his second game.  Like...Seriously? Who does that? If that is not impressive enough 3 goals and 2 assists. 5 points in the first two NHL games of the season. Does anyone know when the last Canucks who did that? Did it even happen?

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

Uhm no. Forsberg and Petterson games are absolutely look NOTHING alike. They both have great hands, yes, but they are completely different players. Petterson is a finesse player, and Forsberg has a power game. The guy who plays almost exactly like Forsberg thats playing in the NHL right now would be Sidney Crosby. Petterson would dodge and weave through checks while Forsberg would actual welcome checks and use the physicality to his advantage

Yes, i say best comparison for EP would be Datsyuk or Zetterberg.. But with 3 Times better shot, wish he had Z's backhand thou! 

I dont want to get ahead of myself here but expect the canucks to have 4 alternates next season and name Pettersson the captain going into his 3rd season.

Listenin to the way he talks and handles the media and how he has a team first attitude you can see hes captain material.

And Vancouver loves the swedish captains.

Just my opinion here but considering Pettersson being our #1 ctr and if hes putting up crazy numbers i dont see it any other way.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

btw it was a sad day when we traded Pavel, very sad.  It was over.  It was like... it's over, and to be honest the trade didn't look that good too at the time. 

Meh Jovanovski played for the Canucks longer than Bure stayed in the league. Wasn't too bad.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I dont want to get ahead of myself here but expect the canucks to have 4 alternates next season and name Pettersson the captain going into his 3rd season.

Listenin to the way he talks and handles the media and how he has a team first attitude you can see hes captain material.

And Vancouver loves the swedish captains.

Just my opinion here but considering Pettersson being our #1 ctr and if hes putting up crazy numbers i dont see it any other way.

This comment and your username confuses me:P

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How do u feel now?

Happy to be wrong. The kids looked great in two games.  

I still like middlestat thou. 

He is very slight I guess we will see how he can endure the season two games doesn’t make a career. 

In Hindsight I’m benning LISTENED to his scout. 

If we’re playing the hindsight game thou I doubt benning picks OJ or Virtanen where he did.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Every team has misses at the draft.  I think Pettersson will prove to be BY FAR the best player in his draft.  OJ will be a solid top four guy.  Jake is a better version of Hansen.  

I do like JV , I not a fan of OJ he was the wrong pick the guy taken right after just got his 100th point in the NHL. OJ was not the BPA. 

One can only hope he can translate to the nhl sooner or later.(I know he’s still young ...) 

EP  looks like a special player the kid has things you can’t teach one of them being DRIVE. 

he Makes the players around him better a sign of a great player. 

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

.. sounds like you are your old self to me Zepp ;) 

100%.   Got a nice bump from some moves and overall hockey season starts on both sides of pond has gone very well.   Hopefully no one gets "lost" on this road trip and they give the players GPS devices or similar  :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

Just watching this Peter Forsberg highlight video. This looks like similar to what Pettersson can be when he bulks a little bit more in his prime. They play similar styles already, but once Elias adds more power in his game, he'll be dangerous.

I remember Forsberg and Burnaby Joe destorying the Canucks in the playoffs. 

It's best to have two elite centres which betters your chances to win the Stanley Cup.  Elias and Bo?

Stanley Cup Winners

Peter and Burnaby Joe

Mario and Yagr

Sid and Malkin

Kuznetsov and Backstrom

99 and x-Canuck Captain #11

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I remember Forsberg and Burnaby Joe destorying the Canucks in the playoffs. 

It's best to have two elite centres which betters your chances to win the Stanley Cup.  Elias and Bo?

Stanley Cup Winners

Peter and Burnaby Joe

Mario and Yagr

Sid and Malkin

Kuznetsov and Backstrom

99 and x-Canuck Captain #11

Elias and Jack Hughes?

Forsberg was a nasty piece of business too.  He was more like Messier.  Elias is more like Gretzky.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Elias and Jack Hughes?

Forsberg was a nasty piece of business too.  He was more like Messier.  Elias is more like Gretzky.  

EP's vision and how he uses and finds the open ice is Gretzky like....even their builds are similar...

He doesn't need to bulk up much...lean muscle works too

It's going to be a treat to watch him work magic....like the Sedins but different.

Going from the Sedns to EP40...it's good to be a Canuck fan!

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Upvote 2