The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Thats the problem the hype needs to be dialed back, he is on a larger ice surface and also needs to gain some muscle. I want him to succeed but to say he is going to be elite in the NHL due to his SHL is the wrong thing to be doing.

Let the kid grow and mature his game. Not make him the next golden boy saviour 

Lies.  Not enough hype.

#SwedishGretzky

• Cheers 4

Just now, SamJamIam said:

Lies.  Not enough hype.

#SwedishGretzky

Nylander is 3'' smaller and has 25lbs on him

Gaudreau is 5'' shorter and is only 8 lbs less

The slender build is the only thing holding me back, he will crumble if he gets nailed he is all bone

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Yotes said:

larger ice surface more room for high IQ Pettersson to make plays? I dont discount his skill but the NHL is a different league, plus a smaller ice surface means less room to navigate.

I am excited to see what he can to in NA hopefully as soon as next year though!

I dont disagree it will be an adjustment for him on the nhl ice surface, I believe it took kuzentsov awhile when he came over to adapt.

But if you think its just easier to do this in the shl, why has no prospect had this pace in 20 years? Nylanders .95 ppg was considered one of the best in recent memory.

Lias andersson who was picked at 7 in that same draft has 13 points in 20 games. Mika Zibanejad had 13 points in 26 games in 2012. 

Edited by Ghost-M
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ghost-M said:

I dont disagree it will be an adjustment for the nhl ice service, I believe it took kuzentsov awhile when he came over to adapt.

But if you think its just easier to do this in the shl, why has no prospect had this pace in 20 years? Nylanders .95 ppg was considered one of the best in recent memory.

Lias andersson who was picked at 7 in that same draft has 13 points in 20 games. Mika Zibanejad had 13 points in 26 games in 2012. 

Im not discounting his impressive SHL #'s just hyping him to recreate that in the NHL on a smaller surface with faster and much larger opponents is no easy task at all

• Cheers 1

Just now, Yotes said:

Im not discounting his impressive SHL #'s just hyping him to recreate that in the NHL on a smaller surface with faster and much larger opponents is no easy task at all

No but based on his trajectory in the shl at his *age* in a rookie season for the shl, I would be shocked if he cannot adapt to the nhl. Players producing these numbers at this age in the shl dont have trouble with having a great nhl carreer. He is also currently playing against men, not sure how much larger his opponents will be in the nhl.

I mean anything could happen, he could sustain a bad injury, but as of right now, someone with these numbers at this age in the shl, track to be excellent nhl players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Next year he is a year older a year stonger a year smarter, he’s going to do just fine adapting to the smaller ice. He’s such a heads up player To. the guys with high IQ are the ones that find a way to adapt 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost-M said:

No but based on his trajectory in the shl at his *age* in a rookie season for the shl, I would be shocked if he cannot adapt to the nhl. Players producing these numbers at this age in the shl dont have trouble with having a great nhl carreer. He is also currently playing against men, not sure how much larger his opponents will be in the nhl.

I mean anything could happen, he could sustain a bad injury, but as of right now, someone with these numbers at this age in the shl, track to be excellent nhl players.

i agree, but we already have high expectations for him, I think he can do well for sure. Nylander had a good SHL season, are Canucks fans okay if Pettersson has a similar path to the nhl with some seasoning in the AHL? 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Pet. Air. Shawn.

You are correct, however I doubt the dinosaur media types will ever get it right.

(I have heard "Shoan" instead of "Shawn".)

Also, (using your phonetic format from the above) his first name is pronounced:  Lee. Ass.

(Not Ell. Eee. Ass.)

I still miss Jim Robson...he used to make sure he pronounced players' names the way they wanted them pronounced.

Maybe Cheech (John Garrett) could lead the way, Queen's graduate in (English) Language and Literature that he is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Pet. Air. Shawn.

He's scoring so much we have to start asking if the SHL is worse than it used to be. How else can we explain this?

If by "worse than it used to be" you mean higher scoring, I have attached some numbers for you since the 2010/11 season to the present season for comparison purposes. You will see that the team average for goals per game is at the highest point this year but I suspect that the average may decline in the 2nd half (just a guess). Goals per game average for the top scoring team (FBK) is also at its 3rd highest since 2010. 

However, Vaxjo is scoring at a more moderate pace of 3.17 goals per game and that, to me, makes Pettersson's statistics even more impressive. (others may evaluate these numbers differently of course}

GF by team average                        GF by top scoring team                       Vaxjo goals per game 2017/18

2010/11                                                                     2.24                                                      2.50

2011/12                                                                     2.31                                                      2.96

2012/13                                                                     2.41                                                      3.01

2013/14                                                                     2.25                                                      3.99

2014/15                                                                     2.24                                                      3.07

2015/16                                                                     2.13                                                      3.26

2016/17                                                                     2.45                                                      3.50

2017/18 (current season)                                         2.63                                                       3.42                                                         3.17

http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Statistics/ScoringAndGoalkeeping/8121

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1

EP is no Bambi in the headlights...there are players that won't go to the tough area's because they might bet hit...EP is not one of them, he will go anywhere, with or without the puck.

Elias is going to be just fine in traffic ...mainly because he can see plays/hits developing before anyone else...he avoids 90% of the hits and bounces back up on the rest.

Having meat on your bones is no guarantee of not breaking bones....Horvat's 220 Lbs could have been the deciding factor in his ankle breaking...if he weighed 175 he might have bent but not broke it.

EP will probably start on the left wing with Bo and Boeser ...so he will have some meat on his line for protection and if he does center a line I would want to see Boeser on one side and MacEwen or Gadjovich ( likely not ready) on the other side.

My guess is MacEwen or a free agent who can fight if need be.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Qwags said:

So Pettersson can see anyone, anywhere on the ice. But can he see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Maybe. Maybe not. But I bet he knows how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

• Cheers 1

Just another ho-hum night for EP40. 

Everyone has to stop worrying about if he's gonna be able to translate his SHL success to the NHL. If the percentages show that players who succeed at or around his age over in Europe also go on having a solid NHL career. Than that is all good in my books. Now if he goes on to have a Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin career with us than I'll be ecstatic. Let's give him the proper time to develop into his frame and hope he keeps trending upwards no matter what league he plays in next year. It's been forever since we have had such a highly touted prospect in the pipelines. Now we have 2 players that could turn our organization around in a hurry. So let's be patient and let it play out.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Elias is a spectacular prospect.  The best we have had since the Sedins and Bure.  His numbers are better than theirs at this point.  We are all aware that it might not translate to winning an NHL scoring title.  His lack of lbs. has been beaten to death.  All of you trying to be the wise, future-cautioners are getting really boring.  We get it.  He's thin.  He might not be the best player in the history of hockey.  Just enjoy the fact that he is doing some pretty special things and enjoy the ride for now.  Stop trying be smarter than everybody, we all get it!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Elias is a spectacular prospect.  The best we have had since the Sedins and Bure.  His numbers are better than theirs at this point.  We are all aware that it might not translate to winning an NHL scoring title.  His lack of lbs. has been beaten to death.  All of you trying to be the wise, future-cautioners are getting really boring.  We get it.  He's thin.  He might not be the best player in the history of hockey.  Just enjoy the fact that he is doing some pretty special things and enjoy the ride for now.  Stop trying be smarter than everybody, we all get it!

Oh i get it!

for every person being somewhat cautious/realistic there are 500 homers going bonkers over his stats this year

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Just another ho-hum night for EP40. 

Everyone has to stop worrying about if he's gonna be able to translate his SHL success to the NHL. If the percentages show that players who succeed at or around his age over in Europe also go on having a solid NHL career. Than that is all good in my books. Now if he goes on to have a Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin career with us than I'll be ecstatic. Let's give him the proper time to develop into his frame and hope he keeps trending upwards no matter what league he plays in next year. It's been forever since we have had such a highly touted prospect in the pipelines. Now we have 2 players that could turn our organization around in a hurry. So let's be patient and let it play out.  

1.  Juolevi is your other key player in the pipeline? I'm not sure if he turns out to be a game changer or not.  But, if you add Lind, and either of Gadjovich and Gaudette to the mix along with Pettersson, then things are definitely looking up.  Regardless, your point is well taken.   

2. The Sedins are proof that you don't have to be huge or a hitter to play at a high level with relatively few injuries.  More signs that you are probably right about both Pettersson and Juolevi.

3. I'm not sure that it's necessary to have a Crosby or a Kane or even a Doughty to win (super elite players). 

You look at how good Horvat is -- and how he keeps improving -- keeps dominating elite players, and you can believe that a team could be very very good (maybe win it all) if it has 2 Horvats at 6 mill a year vs. one McDavid at 12 mill.  This is realistic for the Canucks, too: Horvat as 1b Centre, Pettersson as 1a.  Or vice versa. 

• Cheers 1

Strictly based on our players/ prospects, this is what I see in 4-5 years 

goldy Horvat Boeser

Dahlen Pettersson Virtanen

beartschi Granlund Gadjovich

Gaunce Gaudette Lind

Tryamkin Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton 

Brisebois

demko

Depietro 

- really, I think we are missing a franchise D man, if we had that, this would be a cup contending team for the next decade 

but many teams lack that type of player - the wild card is Tryamkin, will he return? How good can he get? 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Strictly based on our players/ prospects, this is what I see in 4-5 years 

goldy Horvat Boeser

Dahlen Pettersson Virtanen

beartschi Granlund Gadjovich

Gaunce Gaudette Lind

Tryamkin Tanev

Pouliot Gudbranson

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton 

Brisebois

demko

Depietro 

- really, I think we are missing a franchise D man, if we had that, this would be a cup contending team for the next decade 

but many teams lack that type of player - the wild card is Tryamkin, will he return? How good can he get? 

Well done.  Looks about right.   I think Brisebois and one of Gaunce or Gaudette or maybe Goldobin get moved/drop away... and a new pick or two fills in, but over all what you have looks good.  Nice to put it all up front, even imagine what the lines might look like.

Pouliot turns out to be a real find, potentially even better than Baertschi re: finds. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1