The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

It wasn’t very long small defencemen were considered impossible, then we rediscovered the value of puck movement and quick thinking and feet.  The game being faster in Pettersson’s case is a non-issue, there is nothing wrong with his skating, quickness, or ability to process the game.  I still have a clear memory of 5 foot 8 Larionov completely neutrazing Eric Lindros in the Stanley Cup final.  There were supposedly no gaps in Lindros’s game, well except one, Larionov was a chess player and his brains neutralized Lindros’s brawn.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Careful, according to most in this thread, you cannot be patient and cautious in determining a player's future :rolleyes:

Uh, OK.   I am always patient and cautious about young players....didn't know I was breaking rules :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, OK.   I am always patient and cautious about young players....didn't know I was breaking rules :lol:

I wasn't saying you weren't (hence the eyeroll emoticon), just when you read this thread, 80% of posters don't seem to be. It's also considered to be negative if you don't jump on the hypewagon.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

If you are a fan of a team and a prospect is putting up better numbers than some hall of famers at his age, you should be going bonkers.  Fan is short for fanatic.  I am cautious/realistic all day in my life.  When I cheer for my team, I want to have hope and optimism.  Peterson gives me that.  It is just getting boring hearing that he is skinny every time someone celebrates his achievements

I don't know who this Peterson guy is but he sounds amazing.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Elias Pettersson finishes with 4 assists today. He now has 35 points (11 goals, 24 assists) in 25 games.

I'm saying from draft day, this kid is the super star we need to put us into the top tier of the league.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

If you are a fan of a team and a prospect is putting up better numbers than some hall of famers at his age, you should be going bonkers.  Fan is short for fanatic.  I am cautious/realistic all day in my life.  When I cheer for my team, I want to have hope and optimism.  Peterson gives me that.  It is just getting boring hearing that he is skinny every time someone celebrates his achievements

To me, the fact that he’s able to score at this rate while built like a lich is all the more impressive. Imagine the damage he’ll do once he finally puts some meat on his bones

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am excited but it is tempered excitement until he is doing it in the show. There is nothing wrong with being a fan and having that opinion.

A skinny build is just how people/scouts judge any hockey prospect, so sure it can be boring but it is just a given fact. They also judge players on their skillset too and we are hearing the compliments about that in regards to EP

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...I think I need some of your Meds....

EP's too skinny to score goals....only fat people can do that...

Yes because when anyone talks about a players build the skinny cant play but the fat can? Come on now jokes aside lets be realistic. He has a great chance at success in the NHL, the players who are paper thin are usually short in stature, which EP is not at 6'2''

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP's 165 Lbs. is probably tougher and more sinewy than either of the Sedins 175-180 Lbs when they were 19 years old....EP is faster and more agile than the Sedins.

EP will undoubtedly have a faster start to his NHL career than the Sedins and likely reach even loftier heights....call it hype if want....I say...

....just watch....!

Apparently he also likes to shot the puck on net which is a plus! (Sedins?)   

• Cheers 2

Gaudraeu weighs like 155lb pounds, probably with his equipment on.  Thats why he fell to latter rounds in the draft.  Even in college guys were trying to kill him but he was so elusive.  Lots of organizations are kicking themselves now for focusing too much on the guys size.

I suspect EP has some of those same evasive skills (he is playing vs men after all), probably not the most imporant tool in his box because the ice is bigger over there.   Only time will tell how he will manage, but to me the kid is proving that he has elite skill...

• Cheers 1

The below stats are for Henrik Sedin. Henrik played four seasons in the SEL and never approached the kind of numbers that Pettersson is putting up, including his season there after 4 years in the NHL! I think there is a good reason for all of the hype. If we are ever going to hype a prospect, It's Elias.

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
1997-98 MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 39 1 4 5 8            
1998-99 MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 49 12 22 34 32 0 13 2 8 10 6
1999-00 MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 50 9 38 47 22 18          
2000-01 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 9 20 29 38 -2 4 0 4 4 0
2001-02 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 16 20 36 36 9 6 3 0 3 0
2002-03 Vancouver Canucks NHL 78 8 31 39 38 9 14 3 2 5 8
2003-04 Vancouver Canucks NHL 76 11 31 42 32 23 7 2 2 4 2
2004-05 MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik SEL 44 14 22 36 50 9 6 1 3 4
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I like to come to this thread after a Canucks loss, makes me feel better. Pettersson may be one of the best draft picks in Canucks history. Why shouldn't we be optimistic and celebrate his every achievement? Canucks fans have suffered a long time, and it feels good to have such a player in our system. Believe the hype folks, this kid is for real. So what if he's skinny today, he's not playing for the Canucks tomorrow. Besides, he seems to be handling himself quite well playing in the SHL against men. Give him some time, collect some trophies and medals, break some SHL records, etc. And when he's ready, he'll blow the socks off this league.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1