The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

Would be very happy with nylander type numbers. Anything more then that is a bonus.

10pts in 7gp by W Nylander, I would have thought his #s were a bit higher, but it is a short tourney so yes it is hard to score a ton of pts. I am aiming for EP to get 2 ppg, He seems to have the ability to pull it off, cant wait to watch this years tournament just to see EP and OJ exclusively plus Lockwood. Of course any Canada players too but these 3 are my main focus

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Yotes said:

10pts in 7gp by W Nylander, I would have thought his #s were a bit higher, but it is a short tourney so yes it is hard to score a ton of pts. I am aiming for EP to get 2 ppg, He seems to have the ability to pull it off, cant wait to watch this years tournament just to see EP and OJ exclusively plus Lockwood. Of course any Canada players too but these 3 are my main focus

Aiming somewhat pessimistic so I won't be disappinted if he doesn't break Forsberg record.

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Aiming somewhat pessimistic so I won't be disappinted if he doesn't break Forsberg record.

I would say that record is about as safe as greztky's scoring title. The level of competition is very good now. Should be an interesting tourney for our prospects thats for sure

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I would say that record is about as safe as greztky's scoring title. The level of competition is very good now. Should be an interesting tourney for our prospects thats for sure

If he hits 15 or 16 points then I will say it's been a very successful tournament and I will be to the moon if he hits that production.

48 minutes ago, Yotes said:

So honest question, EP is tearing up the SHL at near 1.5ppg vs men, I am impressed and I want to see him here next season.

This upcoming WJC EP will be playing against "kids" per say, what should his realistic totals be, 2 ppg minimum? higher, could he set the WJC pt total record for a single tournament?

All Time WJC scoring list below:

http://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/records/most-points-in-one-season-by-wjc-u20-players.html

These are the top "kids" in their respective countries, I bet some teams (Canada, USA, Sweden, etc) could actually fare well playing against some of the SHL teams. Considering also that he's playing with new linemates in a different sized rink and across an ocean, I'm not sure it'll be that easy to translate the success he's having in the SHL to a short tourney like the WJC. He could be spectacular, but he could be mediocre too. Neither result will determine his success in the NHL though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

So honest question, EP is tearing up the SHL at near 1.5ppg vs men, I am impressed and I want to see him here next season.

This upcoming WJC EP will be playing against "kids" per say, what should his realistic totals be, 2 ppg minimum? higher, could he set the WJC pt total record for a single tournament?

http://www.quanthockey.com/wjc-u20/en/records/most-points-in-one-season-by-wjc-u20-players.html

I put little or no stock in the WJC’s as a correlation to NHL potential. The tournament setting always allows for a wild card performance that doesn’t translate later or players that do poorly that become good NHLers.  

That said, it does have lot of energy and it is entertaining, especially with so many Canucks prospects playing. We have come a long way from caring whether Frank Corrado was shafted or not. 

Maybe I am jaded and just don’t want to listen to unmet expectations on the CDC for once after an WJC.  

EmW 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I put little or no stock in the WJC’s as a correlation to NHL potential. The tournament setting always allows for a wild card performance that doesn’t translate later or players that do poorly that become good NHLers.  

That said, it does have lot of energy and it is entertaining, especially with so many Canucks prospects playing. We have come a long way from caring whether Frank Corrado was shafted or not. 

Maybe I am jaded and just don’t want to listen to unmet expectations on the CDC for once after an WJC.  

EmW 

But it would be nice to see Pettersson put up an epic performance and see tsn try to justify why a certain Toronto prospect is better. It would be horrible and epically bad tv.

35 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EmW 

I remember lots of Canuck Prospects who dominated the world juniors only to have little or no impact in the NHL, guys like Josh Holden, Cody Hodgson , Rick Girard and Jim Sandlak (was the top player his year). And even lesser lights who played well but never did anything else like Larry Courville...

that being said I hope Elias lights it up like no one else before him!! Lol

Edited by JamesBlondage
  • Upvote 1

On 19/11/2017 at 1:58 PM, Kungfudru said:

I've said it before and I'll continue to do so. This current team is not going to contend like TB, St. Louis, or L.A is atm. Those are high calibre teams. We will not be winning a cup anytime soon. There is no reason to rush such an exceptional prospect onto this team. I think it would do wonders for this franchise and this future teams chances at winning a cup if EP, Dahlin, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi all played one season in the AHL. Esp for EP, that way he can work on being the #1 centerman we need for the next 15-20 years. He will still be playing against men while getting acclimated to the smaller ice surface in his natural position. The long term gain is what's best for him and the Canucks moving forward imo. Let him tear up the SHL this year, the AHL next year, and the NHL for the next 15-20 years after that.

Having played on both sizes of the rink, the size is important for goalies in the referents to where they are in the net and to their angles.  For defencemen it takes a major adjustment to changing the emphasis of your game to containment as opposed to closing down.  For a roward, especially a centre, it doesn't mean much except that you have more room, and it matters in initiating or supporting the forecheck.  For a forward, in my experience it is not such a big deal - especially for centres.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Having played on both sizes of the rink, the size is important for goalies in the referents to where they are in the net and to their angles.  For defencemen it takes a major adjustment to changing the emphasis of your game to containment as opposed to closing down.  For a roward, especially a centre, it doesn't mean much except that you have more room, and it matters in initiating or supporting the forecheck.  For a forward, in my experience it is not such a big deal - especially for centres.

Except for the amount of board play (cycling / protecting the puck) there will be in the NHL vs the SHL.  Less ice means more board play and puck protection will result. 

I have no doubt EP has the skills.  He will need to learn how to play along the boards and deal with tighter checking and more contact.      

1 hour ago, Isam said:

But it would be nice to see Pettersson put up an epic performance and see tsn try to justify why a certain Toronto prospect is better. It would be horrible and epically bad tv.

Only 1 problem, Liljegren will be on Team Sweden. So a Leafs prospect will be feeding Pettersson the puck.

3 hours ago, Isam said:

If he hits 15 or 16 points then I will say it's been a very successful tournament and I will be to the moon if he hits that production.

Cody Hodgson had 16 points in 6 games and was suppose to be our Tavares after that tournament... 

I consider the WJC to be just entertainment, as it is very exciting hockey to watch, but I would put little stock into it as to who will turn into bonafide NHLers in the end. I'm excited just to see how his game has come along since the last year where he was able to beat a lot of people sticking handling and draw penalties, but didn't bury his chances. This time, I think he buries his chances.

Other than him, I am hoping that OJ can return to form and lead his team from the back end. He just needs a couple of forwards that he can gel with to produce some cross ice passes and setups, and he will be good. The Finnish team last year had very little chemistry. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hyper00 said:

Only 1 problem, Liljegren will be on Team Sweden. So a Leafs prospect will be feeding Pettersson the puck.

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Yeah I just thought of that. Ewwwwww

Beat me to it.  Unless Dahlin is always backing up Pettersson's line, Liljegren is going to grab a few points just from being on the ice with Elias.

2 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Beat me to it.  Unless Dahlin is always backing up Pettersson's line, Liljegren is going to grab a few points just from being on the ice with Elias.

TSN will likely give all credits to Liljegren even if Pettersson does all the work

5 hours ago, Yotes said:

Looking at that list thinking wow what I wouldn't have given to have acquired Forsberg for Naslunds line.

Naslund was a bada55 PIM muncher

And if Pet Air Shawn can breach the top 10 in WJC scoring I'll be very impressed, even if he's top 20 it will be a success.  Things have changed since the 90s and early 2000s where it was canada Sweden the US and Russia/Czech's