The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

With some young big bodied centres already on the team, Pettersson doesn’t have to bulk up to be center for us. 

Gaunce is our bottom guy, Horvat is our match up guy, Gaudette will have okay size and we have Sutter for a bit yet. Pettersson can be affective at 180.

His game is so smart and he has great speed. Face offs are my only concern. If his skill and abilities cover that area, he can definitely center a line. Put Gadjovich and Boeser on his wings and watch out. 

Of we lacked Horvat, than this wouldn’t be the case. Henrik, Bergeron, RNH, Toews, Crosby, McJesus Reinhart etc.. are all playing center under 200 and doing pretty well at it. 

Seem to remember Sakic, Yzerman, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Dionne, Ronning, Gretzky all doing really well as smaller centres.  Skills and IQ can easily make up for lost weight. 

EmW

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are actually physical beasts. The rest of those guys played in a different era, sports science and training were no where near the level they are at now and the average size and strength of players is much greater now then it was before. The problem with being slight of frame and playing center in the NHL these days isn't offensively, it's on the defensive side of the puck and winning faceoffs. Hopefully Pettersson will be able to get strong enough eventually like H. Sedin did or Kyle Turris has done but right now everywhere he plays he is put on the wing and it might not change when he gets to the NHL

Also Toews and Crosby are 200lbs, Bergeron is a c hair under 200lbs and Reinhardt mostly plays the wing now, probably because he is to slight of frame to handle playing center. Henrick is really the only good comparison as he has had to overcome his small frame to be succesfull as a center in the NHL, it took quite a few years to gain the strength to do it but it does show that it's possible

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are actually physical beasts. The rest of those guys played in a different era, sports science and training were no where near the level they are at now and the average size and strength of players is much greater now then it was before. The problem with being slight of frame and playing center in the NHL these days isn't offensively, it's on the defensive side of the puck and winning faceoffs. Hopefully Pettersson will be able to get strong enough eventually like H. Sedin did or Kyle Turris has done but right now everywhere he plays he is put on the wing and it might not change when he gets to the NHL

Also Toews and Crosby are 200lbs, Bergeron is a c hair under 200lbs and Reinhardt mostly plays the wing now, probably because he is to slight of frame to handle playing center. Henrick is really the only good comparison as he has had to overcome his small frame to be succesfull as a center in the NHL, it took quite a few years to gain the strength to do it but it does show that it's possible

Pettersson was put on the wing because he started the year at 18 y.o. playing against 30 year old men. No $&!# he might have not been strong enough at 18. That doesn't mean he won't be at 20 let alone the rest of his career.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Pettersson was put on the wing because he started the year at 18 y.o. playing against 30 year old men. No $&!# he might have not been strong enough at 18. That doesn't mean he won't be at 20 let alone the rest of his career.

He's playing wing right now against players his own age. 

10 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He's playing wing right now against players his own age. 

After playing all this pro season as a winger, you want him to revert to center for a short tournament?

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Bure took his knee out, on very bad ice conditions. He was chasing the puck behind a net, and the ice was so bad, a big chunk broke out. His speed wasn't ever the same after that. I don't remember him being hip checked or anything like that, do you? Did this happen in Japan? I think the Canucks played a couple of preseason games over there, and that's where his first knee injury took place.

prior yo bure's surgery he was already on a weak knee.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

As for Mittelstadt (he is Sabres property), he has a good hockey body (6', 200 lbs.), but terrible upper body strength.  No pull-ups and only 1 rep of 160 lbs. on the bench.  He still has to develop a man's body.  Some people are slower in regards to that than others.  If the Sabres get stupid and decide to put him in the lineup next year (if he agrees), I hope that Mittelstadt puts in the time needed at the gym with the trainers while his body finishes developing.

Casey was injured: http://www.startribune.com/casey-mittelstadt-lifting-gophers-with-strong-start-to-college-career/454779223/. Both Casey and Elias are trending to be highlight-of-the-night players. I love Elias' offensive hockey IQ and non-stop motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Casey was injured: http://www.startribune.com/casey-mittelstadt-lifting-gophers-with-strong-start-to-college-career/454779223/. Both Casey and Elias are trending to be highlight-of-the-night players. I love Elias' offensive hockey IQ and non-stop motor.

Mittelstadt was actually the guy I wanted at the draft, but I am quite satisfied with the Pettersson pick so far. Mittelstadt wasn't really making waves this year as a rookie in the NCAA compared to say Boeser's rookie year. Regardless of what either Mittelstadt or Pettersson does this tournament though, it will not dictate how well they transition into the pros. Mittelstadt could still end up being the new Schroeder. With that said, I'm happy both of them are doing well and I hope we get another 1st round pick this year. 

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yep.  It was me. I got the idea at the end of the shootout while everyone was still logged onto the board.  I wanted to get a conversation going about my concern for Pettersson's size and if there's one way to get CDC riled up enough to talk about something that you want to talk about, mention a board favourite and don't blindly worship him.

There were actually fewer whiners than I thought there would be over it.  And after 70 or so posts, @Odd.came up with a likely scenario and a good answer and I think he's right on the money.  If Pettersson ends up having any issues bulking up, he will be tossed on the wing since he has plenty of experience there while the training staff works with him.  Worst case scenario, he never gets to the strength and size needed for a top NHL centre and has a career as a top 6 wingman.  Best case scenario, he is able to pack on the extra bulk without it affecting his play and he competes for the 1C position in his sophomore season.

As for Mittelstadt (he is Sabres property), he has a good hockey body (6', 200 lbs.), but terrible upper body strength.  No pull-ups and only 1 rep of 160 lbs. on the bench.  He still has to develop a man's body.  Some people are slower in regards to that than others.  If the Sabres get stupid and decide to put him in the lineup next year (if he agrees), I hope that Mittelstadt puts in the time needed at the gym with the trainers while his body finishes developing.

quoting myself from September 25 in this thread.

Petterson came in second and 7th in the Windgate 30 second and 7 second peak power drills among the 107 odd guys tested at the combines. He's actually a way better, stronger and more explosive athlete than most know. Its what gives him the agility, and control he has at speed. It will also mean, he can put on weight if he has the right diet and training.  

Too much fuss over this topic!

Petterson is an ectomorph. Like Wayne Simmonds. And Danny & Hank.  They naturally have longer limbs, higher levels of energy, but also sinewy muscles with very high levels of strength & flexibility in comparison to body mass. And core muscle from the right workouts. That's why The Twins can hold onto the puck with big bastard D men leaning on them in the cycle game. Putting on, or not putting on weight, will be more be reflection of diet, and whether you overtrain.

• Upvote 2

I've been pleased with Pettersson's quickness and speed so far this tournament. He's looked pretty nimble in the corners and has had a couple of instances where he's accelerated by defenders. I still think he get's knocked down too easily and too often though. 

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If that's the case you couldn't tell by his attempt on the chin-up bar.  He was pulling hard to try and get his chin higher.

casey-mittelstadt.jpg

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Before the draft a few here were saying that Hischier would be a winger in the NHL because he is so slight.  NJD uses him at C. 

Benning expects Pettersson to be a C - he says they have scoring wingers but lacked a playmaking C for them and that's why it was so important to draft Pettersson.