The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Växjö lost yesterday to Liberec in the CHL semi-final. They need to win the game next week to advance to the Finals, hopefully Pettersson is good to go for that game. IMO its always nice to get a taste of winning for young prospects.  

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You don't know my opinion of Pettersson.  "None of the Swedish forwards, other than Pettersson" will play in the NHL?  On any team?  Wow, quite the projection.  Liljegren is bigger than many NHL defencemen playing now as the NHL reverts to more of a speed and counter-attack game.

I don't think Alf is even trying to be objective with that post. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Växjö lost yesterday to Liberec in the CHL semi-final. They need to win the game next week to advance to the Finals, hopefully Pettersson is good to go for that game. IMO its always nice to get a taste of winning for young prospects.  

You are once again very right Toews.  When it comes to our players (especially prospects compared with other teams' guys) I lose objectivity, and become mostly a "fanatic".  In my defense, this is Canucks Dot Com though. :towel:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Toews said:

I believe the game actually ended in a 1 - 1 tie yesterday but I guess it is technically correct to say that Vaxjo needs to win next week. Not sure what the tie breaker would be if the game ends in a tie again. Overtime? Shootout?

Liberec

Liberec 1-1 Vaxjo
09:30 AM, January 09, 2018
Final

Vaxjo
 1st leg.

1st Period
05:48

+

Jenik J. (Charging)
0 - 0

15:17

(Tripping) Rahimi D.

16:35

(Delay of game) Josefsson E.
2nd Period

0 - 1
00:33

Reddox L.
07:59

Mikyska J. (High sticking)

15:03

Vlach J. (Holding the stick)

3rd Period
03:16

Spacek D. (High sticking)
1 - 0

06:17

Jasek L. 

07:14

(Tripping) Netterberg P.

12:50

(Hooking) Calof A.

13:55

(Hooking) Rahimi D.
Match Information
Referee: Vikman K. (Fin), Stricker D. (Sui)
Attendance: 5 718,  Venue: Home Credit Arena (Liberec)

https://www.flashscore.ca/game/p4nRSA3H/#game-summary

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Judd Brackett (Canucks' Director of Amateur Scouting).

In the audio interview Brackett says that all the signs point that he is developing into the centre they see him as.  

Benning has also constantly repeated that they see him as a C.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

In the audio interview Brackett says that all the signs point that he is developing into the centre they see him as.  

Benning has also constantly repeated that they see him as a C.

I really hope he develops into a center. We can't really afford to use another high pick on a center when we have so many other holes to fill.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Would it not look a bit suspect on the Swedish coaching staff if they didn't take an eligible kid leading their best professional hockey league in points per game to the Olympics? 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Who's this Uffe guy?

I agree with most of what he said. Pettersson did have trouble once the games got more physical and the checking was tighter.

Not sure who he is? What I saw was a pretty consistent offensive QB with a more than decent shot. His ability to read the play was the best on the Swedish team IMO. Also saw a willingness to play the body even tho he was bouncing off most times. 

18 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I disagree with the shying away when things got physical, I Was very shocked on a few occasions of him taking the body and actually musscling pucks with his little frame. I get he wasn’t meshing with lots of the team as Lias Anderson and nylander both seemed a little selfish in my eyes but all in all Elias was swedens top forward skill wise 

I agree. I was impressed how he tried to be physical on many occasions. Obviously just needs to get stronger to more effective at it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure who he is? What I saw was a pretty consistent offensive QB with a more than decent shot. His ability to read the play was the best on the Swedish team IMO. Also saw a willingness to play the body even tho he was bouncing off most times. 

I'm not saying that Pettersson didn't show his abilities and show he has incredible potential but just that he was a lot less effective in the last 2 games than he was in the rest of the tournament. More just another sign about what we all know. He just needs to gain size and strength.