The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Not yet...  

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not sure he is far away. Who knows what we would be witnessing had he not been injured this season. I actually think Bo is one of these rare players without a ceiling. To have made the strides he has made and to be only 22 augurs well for his future position in the game.

I would love nothing more than for Bo to turn into the next Bergeron, who's looking like he could be nominated for the Hart and Selke this year which would be the first time that happened since Federov did it in 1994.  Heck i would be happy with Bo turning into the next O'reilly, putting up consistent 60 point season years after year while being used in all situations, but he's not there yet, and that's what I was disputing.  Today in terms of value to a team he's very important to the canucks but overall, he's still outside the top 20.  Make next year he stays healthy, continues to progress and has a break out year like Scheifele did at 23, it could happen.  Or he could stay at the Kesler level (an elite 2nd line center) while Pettersson comes in and becomes our top line guy.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I would love nothing more than for Bo to turn into the next Bergeron, who's looking like he could be nominated for the Hart and Selke this year which would be the first time that happened since Federov did it in 1994.  Heck i would be happy with Bo turning into the next O'reilly, putting up consistent 60 point season years after year while being used in all situations, but he's not there yet, and that's what I was disputing.  Today in terms of value to a team he's very important to the canucks but overall, he's still outside the top 20.  Make next year he stays healthy, continues to progress and has a break out year like Scheifele did at 23, it could happen.  Or he could stay at the Kesler level (an elite 2nd line center) while Pettersson comes in and becomes our top line guy.   

When you compare his development to other centers in the league and how he is used on the team, he looks to be ahead of the curve. 

Honestly just wanted to be a bit cheeky.  I don’t equate MT’s value to near equal with Bo’s. 

Its conjecture and we all have opinions and other things. 

But as it stands, I like OJ over MT for the long view. Short term, MT does appear to be the better find. 

This is happens every draft year, just go back and read the first two years of Bo’s page. 

EmW

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

When you compare his development to other centers in the league and how he is used on the team, he looks to be ahead of the curve. 

Actually he's behind by a year.  

Before Bergeron hit 22 he already had 2 70 point season under his belt.  Malkin had a 113 points season at 22, Crosby had a 109 point season, Backstrom had a 101 point, Getzlaf and Kopitar were 81 point players, Seguin, Stamkos, MacKinnon and thornton were all well over a ppg, Toews was captian won a conn symth and a stanely cup,  Johanson, Giroux, Duchene, Staal and Krejcí were all over 70 points.

This year at the same age he "was" on pace to be in the same level as Couture, Scheifele and O'reilly which is still pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Honestly just wanted to be a bit cheeky.  I don’t equate MT’s value to near equal with Bo’s. 

Its conjecture and we all have opinions and other things. 

But as it stands, I like OJ over MT for the long view. Short term, MT does appear to be the better find. 

This is happens every draft year, just go back and read the first two years of Bo’s page. 

Yep and you will see me pumping up Bo's tires despite everyone calling him a #3 center at best.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Bo is better than a 60 point player already...he would have hit over 60 this year and it's the other things he does that make that worth 80 points....

...just watch...

To everyone doubting Bo and comparing him to all these top flight centres

in the league. Why not compare him to arguably the best centre in the world...

Jonathan Toews best season is 76 points, thats with the highest scoring team in the league for how ever many years. 

Bo horvat already has a 52 point season and was going yo eclipse that this year if it wasnt for his injury. 

Both these players play a very simular game with horvat having a size edge where Toews has the assistant captain canada (and Kane) edge. I see them having very simular careers by the end and who on here wouldn’t want Toews on our team?

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so when have i said Tkachuk is an elite? and what part of Juolevi play screams elite? i just said he's a better pick than Juolevi and at this point of their young career Tkachuk is progressing nicely where Juolevi's been up and down. more like you guys are the one hyping Juolevi to be this elite top 2 defensemen. Can he be? sure.. ya the lames definitely going to trade away Tkachuk for defense when their top 4 is giordano harmonic hamliton and brodie.. and also have parson coming up the pipe for goaltending in the future.. but nah let's pretend Calgary's defense and goaltending is going to need help because they are only 7th in the league defensively

No, Juolevi hasn't really been up and down. He's playing very well over in Finland. His only real "down" was training camp and he has responded well in Finland. Juolevi is progressing very well. Tkachuk was not the better pick. Like I said, it is you that needs to take your pathetic blinders off.

Calgary is garbage and overrated, especially their defense.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually he's behind by a year.  

Before Bergeron hit 22 he already had 2 70 point season under his belt.  Malkin had a 113 points season at 22, Crosby had a 109 point season, Backstrom had a 101 point, Getzlaf and Kopitar were 81 point players, Seguin, Stamkos, MacKinnon and thornton were all well over a ppg, Toews was captian won a conn symth and a stanely cup,  Johanson, Giroux, Duchene, Staal and Krejcí were all over 70 points.

This year at the same age he "was" on pace to be in the same level as Couture, Scheifele and O'reilly which is still pretty impressive.

Yep and you will see me pumping up Bo's tires despite everyone calling him a #3 center at best.

IMO, Bo looks pretty good against Kesler, Johansen, O Reilly and the like. 

He is in a way different situation than Beregron or Toews but that would be his ceiling as a player. 

BTW, respect you as a poster, agree with most of your POV. 

EmW

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

No, Juolevi hasn't really been up and down. He's playing very well over in Finland. His only real "down" was training camp and he has responded well in Finland. Juolevi is progressing very well. Tkachuk was not the better pick. Like I said, it is you that needs to take your pathetic blinders off.

LOL It's still very debatable who was the better pick and there's still plenty of time to judge that but you can't just claim that Tkachuk was not a better pick then proceed to tell someone to take their "pathetic blinders" off.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

LOL It's still very debatable who was the better pick and there's still plenty of time to judge that but you can't just claim that Tkachuk was not a better pick then proceed to tell someone to take their "pathetic blinders" off.  

Yeah, actually I can, especially since the poser I quoted was telling everyone else to take their blinders off first.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, YOU feel he was a better pick than OJ but in agreeing with you, we would both then be wrong.  Tkachuk tops out at a 16-18 min 2nd line guy who will be suspended many more times until likely Avery'ing out of the NHL.  OJ projects to be a top pairing Dman who can log 20 plus minutes and will be strong in both ends of the ice.   If you have a chance at a second line crap disturber with questionable decision making over a top pairing Dman you would take the former?    Again, will totally disagree with you each and every time on that.

If you are going to troll the Vancouver fanbase, creating some fantasy about how the Flames lineup somehow dictated the good drafting the Canucks have done isn't the place to start.

That's because players like Tkachuk are easily obtainable, and hurt teams chances in play-off series.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎17 at 8:48 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

What?

Am I kidding about what?

Please read before commenting

I am not talking about the past, or who was left off in the past (when teams had NHL players)

I said on THIS Olympic team they would be on at his age and only asking why Sweden didn't put him on a weaker Swedish Team as well?

He said are you kidding me because your logic makes it sound like Petterson wasn't and isn't better than many other players selected that's all. You come off sounding like  Its solid proof EP is not as good as we think and know he is. In a tournament that's short teams tend to go with proven line combinations over skill. And because of Pettersons very young age he hasn't developed that yet. And because Sweden is a weaker team they can't afford the luxury of EP who is now centering a brand new line since the Olympics. And EP is also a very young player and in years to come he will not only be invited but will probably be groomed as a leader.  If you want proof how good EP is just look at the standings in the League he is playing in. The solid steel of his draft year. 

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 1:46 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Most people would say horvat is a #2 center at best. I would take horvat over a #3 d and most #2 d every day of the week. 

20 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Most people would say Bo is one of the best center's. period...before he got injured he was doing just fine and his trajectory is still up and up some more....

Reminds me a lot of a guy named Mark Messiah. Bo is the kind of center defensemen will not like in a play-off series. Wait till he matures. He will be a top 10 center and that's cool because EP will be a number 1 center.

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

McAvoy looks like the better pick. He might be a number one D man.

5 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

I will never understand the hype with Calgary. They dont have the depth to go deep and their D is over-rated. Although i really like Giordano, but not on that contract. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Tell me more about OJ , MT and Bo in the freaking EP thread...

OJ was a wasted pick, MT is a proven superstar, Bo is a fairly decent 3rd line center who we should trade for valuable draft picks while his value is still high. Who is EP? Lol.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1