The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Cody was still hyped as $&!# though,  after the WJC's where he scored 17pts and tied with John Tavares.  Almost everyone believed he was going to be the next great Canuck player, I mean why wouldn't you after his junior and world junior performances. 

With the power of hindsight it's easy to say he always had skating issues.  Not many people expected the utter failure that happened even with the skating issues. 

Same can be said for Pettersson though,  he's still a skinny kid. Maybe he busts and you can look back and say...Well he was always a really skinny kid. 

Yes exactly, why wouldn't you.

To be honest, I still feel he probably could have been the next big Canucks, had he and his dad not had their heads stuck up their arses, and gotten blinded by the lure of dollars... 

If he had stayed a few years more being protected by Sedin and Kesler in the top 2 centre positions, he may have developed into the star we all hope for.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He showed push back a number of times and was very hard to hit - and they were keying on him.   He seems quite a tough kid and shows zero hesitancy to get into the dirty areas.  I know it is early for him but he sure reminds me of much taller Patrick Kane at same age.

I noticed that at World Juniors this year as well. He isn't afraid of the contact. Even at his size. You can't teach that. 

Edited by rekker

47 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Cody Hodgson failed to pan out, because of Cody Hodgson. His attitude and lack of commitment was apparent. I get no inclination that Pettersson is the same, this is kid is mature beyond his years. Love his cool amd calm demeanor, but you can tell hes a winner. 

Apparent?

Isn't that the same Cody that was being hyped as a  future Captain of the Canucks ?

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Cody Hodgson failed to pan out, because of Cody Hodgson. His attitude and lack of commitment was apparent. I get no inclination that Pettersson is the same, this is kid is mature beyond his years. Love his cool amd calm demeanor, but you can tell hes a winner. 

Hmm Hodgson was supposedly a high character guy in junior. Pat Quinn loved the kid. I don’t know what happened...? Cody’s dad and back injury.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Hmm Hodgson was supposedly a high character guy in junior. Pat Quinn loved the kid. I don’t know what happened...? Cody’s dad and back injury.

He couldn't skate worth a damn. That's why he failed. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Apparent?

Isn't that the same Cody that was being hyped as a  future Captain of the Canucks ?

I never called him Captain material. People were basing it on his play and he was the ONLY prospect worth talking about back then. Sooo maybe thats why everybody was calling him a future captain. 

Edited by KKnight

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Cody was still hyped as $&!# though,  after the WJC's where he scored 17pts and tied with John Tavares.  Almost everyone believed he was going to be the next great Canuck player, I mean why wouldn't you after his junior and world junior performances. 

With the power of hindsight it's easy to say he always had skating issues.  Not many people expected the utter failure that happened even with the skating issues. 

Same can be said for Pettersson though,  he's still a skinny kid. Maybe he busts and you can look back and say...Well he was always a really skinny kid. 

I don’t recall people being that high on Hodgson at all but I wasn’t in Vancouver.   What EP us doing is so far removed from what Hodgson did in his first pro year.

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

I never called him Captain material. People were basing it on his play and he was the ONLY prospect worth talking about back then. Sooo maybe thats why everybody was calling him a future captain. 

I never said YOU called him Captain material, He was a hot prospect with the same qualities you say of Pettersson now

You said

"Cody Hodgson failed to pan out, because of Cody Hodgson. His attitude and lack of commitment was apparent. I get no inclination that Pettersson is the same, this is kid is mature beyond his years. Love his cool amd calm demeanor, but you can tell hes a winner. "

Your 1st comments you ascertained in hindsight, after he was a Canuck

How you describe EP is exactly what they said about Cody when drafted

and why not?

He showed remarkable poise and leadership for his junior team and Team Canada

3 x named CHL smartest player of the year

OHL Allstar

Led all scorers in WJC

Touted for his poise maturity and composure, his will to win, his hockey sense and dominate as a junior,

We all know how bad it turned out and i was tired of the drama i heard at the time

He was upset seeing that he would never amount to more than a 3rd line centre behind Sedin and Kesler (which he never could be, because they were young and fronted the Greatest Canuck team of all time !)

He had what was proven later as a misdiagnosed back injury after AV had called him out on his compete level

You cannot rewrite history to make a case for our current stud while slamming another one at the same stage of their developments

Cody didn't pan out the way we hoped

You cannot deny what he was at Petterssons age though 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pickly said:

He couldn't skate worth a damn. That's why he failed. 

You are right, he didn't have top notch speed

He didn't have blinding speed, or flashy moves,

In junior though, he was considered an extremely smart player, considered an excellent skater, very strong on the puck, good hands, and excellent on-ice vision

After being traded from Vancouver to Buffalo  he ended up 1st in rookie scoring, 5th in rookie points, despite getting lesser ice time of all rookies

He then signed a $25+ million contract and immediately could not score anymore

Since he could score with his skating before

I don't think that is was his skating that was the issue 

Hank has never been considered a fast skater EITHER, and he will be going into the HOF

He did have a misdiagnosed bulging disc that he was being treated for which was aggravating the injury he really had while a Canuck

I am not a CoHo fan, 

Edited by ba;;isticsports

48 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I never said YOU called him Captain material, He was a hot prospect with the same qualities you say of Pettersson now

You said

"Cody Hodgson failed to pan out, because of Cody Hodgson. His attitude and lack of commitment was apparent. I get no inclination that Pettersson is the same, this is kid is mature beyond his years. Love his cool amd calm demeanor, but you can tell hes a winner. "

and why not?

OHL Allstar

Led all scorers in WJC

Touted for his poise maturity and composure, his will to win, his hockey sense and dominate as a junior,

We all know how bad it turned out and i was tired of the drama i heard at the time

He was upset seeing that he would never amount to more than a 3rd line centre behind Sedin and Kesler (which he never could be, because they were young and fronted the Greatest Canuck team of all time !)

He had what was proven later as a misdiagnosed back injury after AV had called him out on his compete level

You cannot rewrite history to make a case for our current stud while slamming another one at the same stage of their developments

One mans opinion vs another mans opinion. Just my perspective in the situation. 

56 minutes ago, mozzeye said:

I'm not sure why everyone is still so quick to dump on Cody Hodgson, he was doing fine in Buffalo before this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/retired-nhler-cody-hodgson-giving-back-game-loves/

"Through those final years in his short career, he suffered from shortness of breath, blackouts and heart arrhythmia. Sometimes his body would shake for no apparent reason. He was tested for a wide range of ailments, including brain and lung cancer.

Finally, after what would be his final NHL season with the Nashville Predators, he underwent a muscle biopsy and was subsequently diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder that can be triggered by prolonged physical activity."

Wow, I had no idea

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

KKnight You said

and why not?

OHL Allstar

Led all scorers in WJC

26 minutes ago, KKnight said:

One mans opinion vs another mans opinion. Just my perspective in the situation. 

That's fine KKnight

My 1st response was to your opinion on anothers opinion

Who says you need an opinion to be based on fact, not me ;) 

16 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Wow, I had no idea

Makes a lot of sense now why he retired so early. During his last season in Buffalo, he was getting burned in the reels for being lazy etc not back checking which must be the cause of that disease. Hodgson was one of the better 2 way players in junior and for him to all of a sudden be lazy in his last year in Buffalo, I found hard to belive, usually guys that are known to play hard, they get instilled that work ethic. Either way, Im sure hes doing great things in Nashville. Oh what could've been had he still been a Canuck

2 hours ago, mozzeye said:

I'm not sure why everyone is still so quick to dump on Cody Hodgson, he was doing fine in Buffalo before this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/retired-nhler-cody-hodgson-giving-back-game-loves/

"Through those final years in his short career, he suffered from shortness of breath, blackouts and heart arrhythmia. Sometimes his body would shake for no apparent reason. He was tested for a wide range of ailments, including brain and lung cancer.

Finally, after what would be his final NHL season with the Nashville Predators, he underwent a muscle biopsy and was subsequently diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia, a genetic disorder that can be triggered by prolonged physical activity."

Wow I never knew this, thanks for posting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He showed push back a number of times and was very hard to hit - and they were keying on him.   He seems quite a tough kid and shows zero hesitancy to get into the dirty areas.  I know it is early for him but he sure reminds me of much taller Patrick Kane at same age.

Very similar dexterity and skill. Better shot with Petterson? I love his one timer!

Not quite the same speed and agility as PK... Does anybody have Kane's quickness? Including the slight of hand even if EP has great puck control and evasive ability by anyone else's standards.   

And, oh, my observation?  EP plays a better two way game? Much better, including the back check, patrolling passing lanes, stands up to a battle in the corners even when he does not have the puck...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mozzeye said:

How did I not know this? Brutal