The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/15/2018 at 11:41 AM, Rush17 said:

1 hour ago, Guile said:

You are probably aware of this, but for others who aren't, those five games were a pre-determined trial that Vaxjo's coach decided upon earlier in the season. I can't remember if the Canucks were involved in that decision or not, but Hallam wanted to give him a shot at centre and see where his play was at that position. In the end, the timing of it worked out nicely, since it was fairly soon after his five games at centre that Vaxjo signed (traded for??) Dennis Rasmussen, who slotted in as 2C on Pettersson's line. Obviously we know how that ended up.

The Canucks have said a few times that they see EP as a centre in the NHL, regardless of how long it takes for him to be comfortable/successful there. Given our current centre depth, I see this as the right attitude to have. Should we luck ourselves into another blue-chip top-six C in next year's draft, then I think it becomes much more realistic that EP ends up a full-time winger who can perform spot duty at C in a pinch. That would make our top -six forward group quite ridiculous.

As you say though, he certainly was more dominant on the wing this season, so it's not like there is a bad option moving forward. I can't wait to see his talent come training camp!

Like you said no bad option moving forward but I do think if he is successful on the wing he remains there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Guile said:

You are probably aware of this, but for others who aren't, those five games were a pre-determined trial that Vaxjo's coach decided upon earlier in the season. I can't remember if the Canucks were involved in that decision or not, but Hallam wanted to give him a shot at centre and see where his play was at that position. In the end, the timing of it worked out nicely, since it was fairly soon after his five games at centre that Vaxjo signed (traded for??) Dennis Rasmussen, who slotted in as 2C on Pettersson's line. Obviously we know how that ended up.

The Canucks have said a few times that they see EP as a centre in the NHL, regardless of how long it takes for him to be comfortable/successful there. Given our current centre depth, I see this as the right attitude to have. Should we luck ourselves into another blue-chip top-six C in next year's draft, then I think it becomes much more realistic that EP ends up a full-time winger who can perform spot duty at C in a pinch. That would make our top -six forward group quite ridiculous.

As you say though, he certainly was more dominant on the wing this season, so it's not like there is a bad option moving forward. I can't wait to see his talent come training camp!

EP is WAY too smart to not have him play centre...it may be best to have him play the wing most of this year....but I doubt it...I think he get's moved to centre the 2nd time they try him there....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 22.5.2018 at 6:25 AM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And then add 

IMG_1241.jpg

And maybe

220px-Hhof_calder.jpg

To his collection 

Would like to add another success achieved in the 2017/2018 campaign: He reached the final of the CHL (Champions Hockey League) with his team, the Växjö Lakers.

The Växjö Lakers are the second  best Team  in Europe.  Elias Pettersson played 11 games  and registered 6 goals and 3 assists which leaves him at rank 5 amongst Swedish Players in the CHL Tournament.

http://www.eurohockey.com/stats/league/2018/1332-champions-hockey-league.html?season=2018&type=1&position=0&nationality=SWE

7 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

I just watched this again because it is so awesome! Can't wait to see him play in October.

There are some around here who question his speed...he literally blows by everyone ...like taking candy from a baby...

Here's hoping we have a few babies (EP, BB, QH, JD and OJ) ...taking candy from all the Lucic's and Chara's in the league....this year folks....it's all happening ...

This year...!

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There are some around here who question his speed...he literally blows by everyone ...like taking candy from a baby...

Here's hoping we have a few babies (EP, BB, QH, JD and OJ) ...taking candy from all the Lucic's and Chara's in the league....this year folks....it's all happening ...

This year...!

Next year.

One more $&!# year in which we incorporate rookies throughout and then watch them go next year. Start 2 of EP, Gaud, JD on the Canucks and send the other to Utica. Send Hughes to Michigan for one more year and start Juolevi in Utica. Bring in Demko.

Have BB, NG, JV, EP, AG play large roles in our front nine and trade guys like Gagner and Baer throughout the year to make room for Dahlen and even guys like MacEwen.

One more year of massive turner and being $&!#, then let the kids play.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Next year.

One more $&!# year in which we incorporate rookies throughout and then watch them go next year. Start 2 of EP, Gaud, JD on the Canucks and send the other to Utica. Send Hughes to Michigan for one more year and start Juolevi in Utica. Bring in Demko.

Have BB, NG, JV, EP, AG play large roles in our front nine and trade guys like Gagner and Baer throughout the year to make room for Dahlen and even guys like MacEwen.

One more year of massive turner and being $&!#, then let the kids play.

I don't think Hughes is going to let himself be sent back to college...and the rest of those rookies ....are not ordinary rookies...they are champions and MVP's and Hobey Baker winner's, etc.

The Gagner's and Gaunce's and maybe Baer's are all going to be replaced by these guys ....this year...!

• Upvote 1

I know lots of CDC doesn't expect the Canucks to make the play-offs next year. I am not one of them. But that being said, They will battle for the last play-off spot they could make it and they might not. EP will have a good year probably 70 points 60 if he starts slow. But he will average a ppg by Dec maybe even a little more. CDC will be blown away at how good he is. And after seeing him in the NHL across from Brock and with Hughes on the point it will be impossible for the team to focus on both of them with out opening up the down low play or the shot from the center blue line. Canucks will immediately be as good as Calgary and Edmonton which still has them fighting for the last spot. Calgary didn't improve at all this off season and Edmonton still is hanging on to building through losing method.(same game plan same results) I would not be surprised if Edmonton ends up looking top 10 draft again next year. The defense the Canucks have is not as bad as everyone says, Had they gotten better goaltending especially on the first shot of the games we don't get Hughes. But that won't happen this year as Demko is ready to get the nod if it does. Elias Petterson makes the Canucks as well As Dhalen his line mate of two years ago. 

Brock       Boe      Sven

Dhalin   Gagne     Petterson

Virtanen  Suter    Erickson

I think with Virtanen coming back after a strong summer and Gagne having a second go they will both be better. Sven and Brock might get the 3rd and 4th defensive pairing s a lot more as Dhalin and Petterson will be a handful. Gagne may fit this talent a little better because he is a highly skilled player that hasn't had highly skilled linemates.

Oulevi will make the team as well as Salo said towards the end of the season and into the play-offs he was their best defenseman and he is only 20 (sorry to bust any bubble thinking Oli won't make it) Their is so much positive going into this season that I am stoked. At least three teams out of the top 8 will have bad years (seems to always happen).

In todays NHL as well as young speed teams can turn it around a lot faster than many think. Edmonton was more competitive two years ago than last year etc. A young fast team could become the blue print. At least for now.

Hockey kind of reminds me of Terry Jacks song rock n roll I gave you the best years of my life.

This is where I have confidence in Jim Benning and hope he gets his full term to pull this off. A fast team finally. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:11 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Now, now, not nice to make fun of the cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all armchair GMs. And also, if EP and QH both make the team and our other young players continue to develop, I don't really think this is a bottom-6 team any more.

i dunno

who is gonna watch those games

too young

too much talent

probably make a lot of mistakes as well

just shouldn't be here playing in the nhl

:P

On 2018-06-27 at 7:29 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?? I am pretty sure he means Petterson on the half wall on the power play. He is not saying don't play him at centre. I think lol.

We had a center on the half wall for almost two decades.  It seeemed to work well. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-06-27 at 9:42 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP is WAY too smart to not have him play centre...it may be best to have him play the wing most of this year....but I doubt it...I think he get's moved to centre the 2nd time they try him there....

EP has the smarts and skill to play center. He may need to spend a season or two to get there and there is no problem with that. 

IMO he can make his linemates much better. Put him with Eriksson and Sutter and both could see major improvement in their numbers and Pettersson can benefit from some veteran experience. 

Give him some time as center ice is a much more physical game

in the NHL. Can Pettersson match up vs a Getzlaf or Thornton in the dot atm?  That’s a big challenge and I would think that he should developed into a center from the wing ala Kessler. 

If Pettersson can help Eriksson get his mojo back, that would be amazing. 

Sutter is our 2nd line guy next year, Gaudette seems to be the front runner for the 3rd line and Gaunce is a possible 4th line guy. 

Horvat

Sutter

Gaudette

Gaunce 

Granlund is a possible fill

in guy but not much more available.  

Lind can play all 3 spots. Maybe they groom him at center in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-05-22 at 1:25 AM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And then add 

IMG_1241.jpg

And maybe

220px-Hhof_calder.jpg

To his collection 

I cannot remember another prospect in the NHL having as much success as Pettersson who wasn’t a straight to NHL pick. 

The only thing that held him back was size. 

Any other guy with the same skill

level went on to lead their NHL club.  

There is no way he isn’t on our roster next year. He will easily be the most skilled player on the roster at camp. 

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

I know lots of CDC doesn't expect the Canucks to make the play-offs next year. I am not one of them. But that being said, They will battle for the last play-off spot they could make it and they might not. EP will have a good year probably 70 points 60 if he starts slow. But he will average a ppg by Dec maybe even a little more. CDC will be blown away at how good he is. And after seeing him in the NHL across from Brock and with Hughes on the point it will be impossible for the team to focus on both of them with out opening up the down low play or the shot from the center blue line. Canucks will immediately be as good as Calgary and Edmonton which still has them fighting for the last spot. Calgary didn't improve at all this off season and Edmonton still is hanging on to building through losing method.(same game plan same results) I would not be surprised if Edmonton ends up looking top 10 draft again next year. The defense the Canucks have is not as bad as everyone says, Had they gotten better goaltending especially on the first shot of the games we don't get Hughes. But that won't happen this year as Demko is ready to get the nod if it does. Elias Petterson makes the Canucks as well As Dhalen his line mate of two years ago. 

Brock       Boe      Sven

Dhalin   Gagne     Petterson

Virtanen  Suter    Erickson

I think with Virtanen coming back after a strong summer and Gagne having a second go they will both be better. Sven and Brock might get the 3rd and 4th defensive pairing s a lot more as Dhalin and Petterson will be a handful. Gagne may fit this talent a little better because he is a highly skilled player that hasn't had highly skilled linemates.

Oulevi will make the team as well as Salo said towards the end of the season and into the play-offs he was their best defenseman and he is only 20 (sorry to bust any bubble thinking Oli won't make it) Their is so much positive going into this season that I am stoked. At least three teams out of the top 8 will have bad years (seems to always happen).

In todays NHL as well as young speed teams can turn it around a lot faster than many think. Edmonton was more competitive two years ago than last year etc. A young fast team could become the blue print. At least for now.

Hockey kind of reminds me of Terry Jacks song rock n roll I gave you the best years of my life.

This is where I have confidence in Jim Benning and hope he gets his full term to pull this off. A fast team finally. 

I could see them as a bubble team. 

A few reasos for this. Teams will need to throw out the old play book on the nucks. Whatever style they play this year, it will take teams off guard ala Calgary in the Willie D’s first season.  

The team will have nothing to lose.  That needs to be encouraged. No fear, go out and make mistakes, learn from them and carry on. Green can’t coach that out of them with a heavy hand.  

Push back. With the Twins, it was take a punch get a PP.  That can’t go on.  Think Sean Connery in the Untouchables ‘They put one ours in the hospital, we put one of theirs in the Morgue’.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

EmW   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EP has the smarts and skill to play center. He may need to spend a season or two to get there and there is no problem with that. 

IMO he can make his linemates much better. Put him with Eriksson and Sutter and both could see major improvement in their numbers and Pettersson can benefit from some veteran experience. 

Give him some time as center ice is a much more physical game

in the NHL. Can Pettersson match up vs a Getzlaf or Thornton in the dot atm?  That’s a big challenge and I would think that he should developed into a center from the wing ala Kessler. 

If Pettersson can help Eriksson get his mojo back, that would be amazing. 

Sutter is our 2nd line guy next year, Gaudette seems to be the front runner for the 3rd line and Gaunce is a possible 4th line guy. 

Horvat

Sutter

Gaudette

Gaunce 

Granlund is a possible fill

in guy but not much more available.  

Lind can play all 3 spots. Maybe they groom him at center in Utica. 

When they tried Erikkson with Bo ...it screwed up his mojo...Bo would acquiesce too Erikkson way too much...trying to get him the puck when Bo could have taken it himself...forcing passes and being out of position trying to cover defensively.

I think the same thing could happen with EP...I want to see him with skilled guys like Bo and BB and JD or even AG.

Sutter should be our shutdown guy with Granlund and Gaunce or MacEwen ... or Erikkson ...who really needs to step up this year or it's buyout time in the summer.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Google Translation: Today, former Lakers players Elias Pettersson and Calle Rosén were in place at VIDA Arena in order to entertain with coach Robert Lygdbäck.

Looks like he has been adding some weight and muscle. Expect good things CDC and Eastern Media. I expect Rasmus Dhalin to challenge Pettersson to the Calder NOT. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Looks like he has been adding some weight and muscle. Expect good things CDC and Eastern Media. I expect Rasmus Dhalin to challenge Pettersson to the Calder NOT. 

But what does that picture have to do with Tavares and the Leafs parade route planning?

• Haha 1