The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, ThatPope said:

Hughes feeding boeser on one side and pettersson on the other with horvat net front is going to be delicious!

I love the idea of ice cold, stoic Olli next to the adventurous Hughes on the PP. Olli will make the right pass, never get himself out of position, give Hughes room to run around. That, or Tryamkin with the heavy clapper.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, nergish said:

I love the idea of ice cold, stoic Olli next to the adventurous Hughes on the PP. Olli will make the right pass, never get himself out of position, give Hughes room to run around. That, or Tryamkin with the heavy clapper.

Or Olli running the second power play with the more adventurous Gaudette and throw himself into every play Dahlen.  

I think that first PP with EP on right wall and BB on left wall only needs one point man as both the rocket launchers can drift up to the point as necessary and Hughes is as much a danger to shoot as Henrik.  While Bo needs another puck hound down low with him.  Eventually that is probably Gads.  To begin with Baertchi or Leipsic.  

5 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Or Olli running the second power play with the more adventurous Gaudette and throw himself into every play Dahlen.  

I think that first PP with EP on right wall and BB on left wall only needs one point man as both the rocket launchers can drift up to the point as necessary and Hughes is as much a danger to shoot as Henrik.  While Bo needs another puck hound down low with him.  Eventually that is probably Gads.  To begin with Baertchi or Leipsic.  

you could make 3 good PP lines not very far down the road at all

Boeser   Bo   EP

Dahlen        Hughes

Virt   Gaud   Goldy

OJ       Pouliot     

Gadj   Mac   Lind

Woo   Chatfield

then there's Jasek to add to that too

edit: forgot one of the best of them, Dahlen......I'll try out because its an unknown

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Boeser  Hughes EP

Dahlen        Hughes

Virt   Bo   Goldy

OJ       Pouliot     

Gadj   Gaudette  Lind

Woo   Chatfield

edit: forgot one of the best of them, Dahlen......I'll try out because its an unknown

I like this better ;) 

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Boeser   Bo   EP

Dahlen        Hughes

Virt   Gaud   Goldy

OJ       Pouliot     

Gadj   Mac   Lind

Woo   Chatfield

Dahlen Should be used around The net

On 2018-06-24 at 6:52 AM, ForzaTikare said:

Dahlen Should be used around The net

Yep. EP can netdrive with the best of 'em, but Dahlen is something fierce.

EP can shoot too, if his shot keeps improving maybe he could be a point man... ?

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Yep. EP can netdrive with the best of 'em, but Dahlen is something fierce.

EP can shoot too, if his shot keeps improving maybe he could be a point man... ?

I dont really think he needs to improve his shot for that, its just that his skillset fots amazingly in the corners where he can dangle and lose any Defense, aswell as passning through the slot and shopping, either an amazing one-timer or his laser wristshot

I really hope EP is ignoring all the "gain weight" crowd this summer and is working on becoming a faster and more explosive skater.  Not that he was slow before, but that with the addition of the elite passing defensemen (Hughes and to a lesser extent Juolevi) there will be more offensive opportunities to break free and odd man rush next year and beyond.  Speed and acceleration will be assets our forwards need.  And more is better.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I'm drooling thinking of this potential PP1 unit:

Gaudette - Horvat - Pettersson

Boeser - Hughes

Nah man 

Boeser Horvat pettersson

Hughes other Hughes 

Boeser top of the left circle

Pettersson from the halfwall 

Horvat top of crease

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Nah man 

Boeser Horvat pettersson

Hughes other Hughes 

Boeser top of the left circle

Pettersson from the halfwall 

Horvat top of crease

I really hope the Canucks can see that Pettersson is a natural Center and don’t mess up his game.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I really hope the Canucks can see that Pettersson is a natural Center and don’t mess up his game.

I remember when the Twins came, and Hank did get to play center from day one.  I think Pettersson should slot in as our third line center.  Bo can take all the hard (left shot) match ups 5 on 5, PK, and D zone draws.  Pettersson can play in a protected role.  It's exactly what Mo did for a young Hank.  

Then Sutter plays the hard right shot center role, allowing Gaudette to play softer minutes.  I think we are okay at center, if the guys play those roles.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember when the Twins came, and Hank did get to play center from day one.  I think Pettersson should slot in as our third line center.  Bo can take all the hard (left shot) match ups 5 on 5, PK, and D zone draws.  Pettersson can play in a protected role.  It's exactly what Mo did for a young Hank.  

Then Sutter plays the hard right shot center role, allowing Gaudette to play softer minutes.  I think we are okay at center, if the guys play those roles.  

I see this team’s C depth chart as this:

HORVAT

PETTERSSON

SUTTER

GAUDETTE

by the end of the year:

PETTERSSON

HORVAT

SUTTER

GAUDETTE

38 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I personally would rather see him on the wing. 

I don't understand how that would "mess up" his game seeing that he only played center for 5 games this season at the recent of the canucks. He played well (not as well as on the wing). After those 5 games he was immediately moved back. I trust his current coach knew what he was going considering the domination Elias and Vaxjo showed this entire season.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Huh?? I am pretty sure he means Petterson on the half wall on the power play. He is not saying don't play him at centre. I think lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I personally would rather see him on the wing. 

I don't understand how that would "mess up" his game seeing that he only played center for 5 games this season at the recent of the canucks. He played well (not as well as on the wing). After those 5 games he was immediately moved back. I trust his current coach knew what he was going considering the domination Elias and Vaxjo showed this entire season.

You are probably aware of this, but for others who aren't, those five games were a pre-determined trial that Vaxjo's coach decided upon earlier in the season. I can't remember if the Canucks were involved in that decision or not, but Hallam wanted to give him a shot at centre and see where his play was at that position. In the end, the timing of it worked out nicely, since it was fairly soon after his five games at centre that Vaxjo signed (traded for??) Dennis Rasmussen, who slotted in as 2C on Pettersson's line. Obviously we know how that ended up.

The Canucks have said a few times that they see EP as a centre in the NHL, regardless of how long it takes for him to be comfortable/successful there. Given our current centre depth, I see this as the right attitude to have. Should we luck ourselves into another blue-chip top-six C in next year's draft, then I think it becomes much more realistic that EP ends up a full-time winger who can perform spot duty at C in a pinch. That would make our top -six forward group quite ridiculous.

As you say though, he certainly was more dominant on the wing this season, so it's not like there is a bad option moving forward. I can't wait to see his talent come training camp!

Edited by Guile