The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

If he ever gets regular ice time with Boeser teams are in trouble. Boeser yesterday drawed a bunch of players towards him during the game, leaving others open to move in and get open. Pettersson and Boeser will be able to work together as a duo in my minds, but yesterday was still a testing phase

I've been saying that I want 1st line of Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser for a while now, but keeping Pettersson and Boeser together as you said is the real key. Horvat can play well with anyone, so moving that duo down and moving some other players up could lead to a more balanced attack. In addition, it could provide some confidence and give some other players a chance in the top 6:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Gagner - Goldobin

Or

Goldobin - Horvat - Virtanen

Pettersson - Gagner - Boeser

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've been saying that I want 1st line of Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser for a while now, but keeping Pettersson and Boeser together as you said is the real key. Horvat can play well with anyone, so moving that duo down and moving some other players up could lead to a more balanced attack. In addition, it could provide some confidence and give some other players a chance in the top 6:

Or

Pettersson seems to be more of a RW these days. Put up his monster numbers in the SHL last year playing RW. Had a small stint at center where he remained productive as well, but I don't think he played any LW last season.

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Or

I like the idea of splitting Horvat and the snipers but I think the lines would generate more offence if it was

Baerstchi-Horvat-Goldobin

Pettersson-Gaudette-Boeser

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, let's see.....3 assists in 2 games. If this was regular season, Elias would be on pace for 123 assists lol

But no goals :(

I think he'll be just fine. I did notice some Kings players taking liberties with him, cross checks to the back of the head etc. But that's the league now. Gone are the "Semenkos" to protect they stars. Players mostly have to fend for themselves, which is what makes the Sedins' careers so impressive. They were picked on and abused, but they kept getting back up. And to get back at them they would score, and make the other team look silly while doing so. I can see Elias with the same temperament. He'll take some abuse and handle it quietyly, but if he gets P'd off, payback will come in goals. Lots of goals. And he'll make them look silly while doing so. :)

Like his between the legs pass while he was being stapled to the boards that ended in the back of the net. Makes players think twice about taking him out.

20 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I think he will be a power play savant from the get go and will steadily rack up points. 5 on 5 success will come eventually, but I predict growing pains. When other teams realize how he will kill them on the PP, I can see them making an extra effort to lay the body on him. He’s pretty slippery and quick, but you could see tonight he was getting buffeted about some, falling down a fair bit. The fans will likely be more upset than him. He’s a baby faced assassin. 5 on 5 success will come...but when? Perhaps from the get go, who knows? I’d be delighted to be wrong on this. Will be fun to watch this kid develop before our eyes over the coming years.

And Quinn is coming.

Teams have been keying up on EP for a while now. Last year in the play-offs they took his one timer away and he beat them in so many other ways.

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Or

23 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I like the idea of splitting Horvat and the snipers but I think the lines would generate more offence if it was

41880432175749yt.JPG

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Pettersson seems to be more of a RW these days. Put up his monster numbers in the SHL last year playing RW. Had a small stint at center where he remained productive as well, but I don't think he played any LW last season.

That's true, but I have more faith in him adjusting to LW in the NHL versus him adjusting to center in the NHL. Once that line get's the puck...

47 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I put Virtanen up with Horvat to give him a chance to show that he can be more than a 4th liner. Hopefully he can pot a couple of goals, gain some confidence and keep rolling for the majority of the year. I'd also like to see Leipsic up there somewhere at some point and Baertschi is a "veteran" option for that spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

He created a takeaway while making a line change by kicking his leg out. I haven’t seen that before. 

His two way take away ability shows his IQ and ability to anticipate pick movement. The guy is thinking the plays ahead of everyone else on the ice, with or without the puck.  

That was the play that caught my eye, too. Very impressive

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

:blink: Why you putting words in my mouth?

Cause ... I don’t know ... I’m trying really hard not to get too hysterically over-hyped but I’ve been watching hockey a looong time and I can’t think of who Pettersson reminds me of more than the Great One - which is ridiculous and detrimental and all that , but ... yeah I’m probably getting too over-excited

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He is verrryy slight and I don't know if he is quite quick enough to avoid all the contact quite yet, but maybe he will learn quickly over the next few games.  I worry about his safety out there just like when we played McCann as a 19 year old, he was skin and bone and should not of been anywhere near an NHL club at the time.  

I do see the same worries, we'll see how the next few games go. Our top 6 is soft as butter.

EP's much more skilled and cerebral than McCann, I think he'll be fine, but it's already evident he's still not there physically. Skilled but very clumsy out there, particularly his balance..

Edited by Odd.
  • Wat 1

43 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I do see the same worries, we'll see how the next few games go. Our top 6 is soft as butter.

EP's much more skilled and cerebral than McCann, I think he'll be fine, but it's already evident he's still not there physically. Skilled but very clumsy out there, particularly his balance..

The difference, this year, is they have a bottom 6 who can equally lean the other teams top 6.  The game against the Kings was a real glimpse into JB's vision for a new identity, imo

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The difference, this year, is they have a bottom 6 who can equally lean the other teams top 6.  The game against the Kings was a real glimpse into JB's vision for a new identity, imo

It also appears that Guddy is playing like he wants to redeem himself.  He is a key player for the Canuck's physical game this season.  Fingers crossed that he stays healthy.

• Cheers 1

Pettersson survived quite well last year in Sweden against men, and did quite well to boot. he will do the same here. you can just see how he handles himself on the ice. it is exciting to watch him. some on here are overthinking and looking for every little bad thing about him, just enjoy!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1