The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

You know EP40 is special when SabreFan1 says it wouldn't be a good idea to trade him for the Sabres 1OA potential franchise defenceman.

The Canucks have Quinn as a future top pairing d-man.  Dahlin would be overkill.

The team needed a true #1 top 10 centre and Pettersson fits the bill nicely.

• Like 1

If we can get Kakko, Cozens, or Podkolzin at the draft to play on his wing...

also anyone know how to change your name? it autocorrected to Petterson on my phone and I didn’t notice till after.

Edited by Elias_Petterson

Pettersson needs better wingers. I'm hoping Dahlen takes another step in Utica and Goldobin continues to improve. I don't believe Leipsic has any real future on the team, and it looks like Baertschi is facing some adversity. His career might be in jeopardy. Would be great to get Jack Hughes, just to imagine the possibilities, but I agree that it might be best if they were to draft a winger if Hughes doesn't pan out. 

Kakko

Podkolzin

Lavoie

Boldy

Future Top 6 wingers?

Boeser

Dahlen

Goldobin

?

Anyone feel Lind or Jasek will get a Top 6 spot on this team?  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson needs better wingers. I'm hoping Dahlen takes another step in Utica and Goldobin continues to improve. I don't believe Leipsic has any real future on the team, and it looks like Baertschi is facing some adversity. His career might be in jeopardy. Would be great to get Jack Hughes, just to imagine the possibilities, but I agree that it might be best if they were to draft a winger if Hughes doesn't pan out. 

Kakko

Podkolzin

Lavoie

Boldy

Future Top 6 wingers?

Boeser

Dahlen

Goldobin

?

Anyone feel Lind or Jasek will get a Top 6 spot on this team?   

I think it is way to early in their pro careers to even consider that. One would have a much better chance of making a case one way or the other after seeing them play towards the end of their second season of pro hockey. Best to revisit this question a year and a half from now.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson needs better wingers. 

Too early to declare anything with Goldy. His overall game has VASTLY improved from last year and recently his offense has started to translate despite the hellish injury and travel issue the team is facing. No idea if he's the long term solution but for right now...

Beyond that, this guy's pretty good:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Too early to declare anything with Goldy. His overall game has VASTLY improved from last year and recently his offense has started to translate despite the hellish injury and travel issue the team is facing. No idea if he's the long term solution but for right now...

Beyond that, this guy's pretty good:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Its hard to say if Goldy's game has improved! He seldom passes to EP. He gets a ton of extra space because everyone is so concerned (as they should be with EP) with EP. In my mind he has been a bust even though he has some assists. Not liking him with EP. But last game  he showed a little confidence which is nice. But he would fall of a cliff if EP wasn't on his line!

Does anyone think that playing a system will stifle EP talent which should be able to decide on instinct on how the opposition is in front of him and react instinctively on what is the best approach for success?

All players being equal it helps to play a system, but should special talents be wasted, when other teams are prepared for your plan?

5 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Does anyone think that playing a system will stifle EP talent which should be able to decide on instinct on how the opposition is in front of him and react instinctively on what is the best approach for success?

All players being equal it helps to play a system, but should special talents be wasted, when other teams are prepared for your plan?

I think that really depends on the system. For example, if the system is more like what Torts did here: that system seemed to hit the Sedins pretty hard. (Then again, the entire team was playing poorly that year so perhaps blaming the system exclusively might not be accurate)

However, EP doesn't just do things offensively. He pretty much does everything. He's just that kind of player where I think he has the chance to be more flexible than someone like (on the extreme opposite end of things) Ho-Sang, who refuses to improve his defensive game at all. I think a player like EP is going to be more robust in a system. Having said that, the coach would need to give his head a shake if he didn't allow EP to pull off his magic in the offensive zone.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

No. 

The kid was exceptional in the beginning of the year. But he has been almost completely shut down. I hope he learns to fight through it and I believe he will based on what he did last year.

To bad he has a bunch of plugs to play with. That won't help him get through his struggles.  He is one of the only bright spots on this currently sad sack team...him and horvat.

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The kid was exceptional in the beginning of the year. But he has been almost completely shut down. I hope he learns to fight through it and I believe he will based on what he did last year.

To bad he has a bunch of plugs to play with. That won't help him get through his struggles.  He is one of the only bright spots on this currently sad sack team...him and horvat.

Just look who other high ranked rookies play with. They get fed with extreme skill and experience constantly. EP gets fed with superstars like Goldobin and Eriksson. Until Boeser gets back he has absolutely no one to play with because no one else is at the same wavelength as him. No one can match the speed of the plays or even get a FRIKKIN pass on the blade because they didn’t see it coming. So yeah, plugs is the correct word 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ELITE said:

Just look who other high ranked rookies play with. They get fed with extreme skill and experience constantly. EP gets fed with superstars like Goldobin and Eriksson. Until Boeser gets back he has absolutely no one to play with because no one else is at the same wavelength as him. No one can match the speed of the plays or even get a FRIKKIN pass on the blade because they didn’t see it coming. So yeah, plugs is the correct word 

He will get Jack Hughes to play with next season at the rate at which we are accumulating losses as of late. 

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Awful high expectations for a rookie.  Were you thinking he'd be a goal a game for the entire season?  He has been shut down in a few games, but he is still a point a game so far.  Bo's line is hardly scoring, so that leaves everything up to EPs line; which ends up getting too much pressure.  Goldy is playing well, but Eriksson looks slow and there really hasn't been anyone else that has stepped up.

Much of the Canuck's problem offensively and defensively is related to the injuries.  Obviously having Boeser (and Baer as well) out is a huge problem offensively, but the Sutter and Beagle injuries are forcing Bo to play a defensive game with fewer chances to score goals. 

By the time the injured players return, it may be too late to save the season, but I am betting they will return to the kind of results they had earlier in this season.  Bo will maintain an offensive line, while EP will have a pure goal scoring that won't miss on those fabulous passes he sends off.  The team will have a good PP and awesome PK. 

You are right about EP though, he has proven to be the sort of player that 'works though' difficult times and is extremely adaptable to changing situations. He is the least of our worries.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

EP is now facing the toughest other teams have to offer with a depleted line up, I think any player would have trouble under those circumstances let alone a 20 year old. Give him time, he'll fight through it.

• Cheers 1