The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, peaches5 said:

Pettersson needs to get a lot stronger on his skates. He falls down way too much. I believe he has improved on that this year but still Marner is a lot stronger on his skates. He played almost the entire year last year with Brock on his wing. So he didn't have terrible linemates, which some have alluded to. Marner has shown more consistency than Pettersson. Marner also came in from Junior and Petey came in from europe playing against men. Pettersson was better equipped to transition into the NHL game than Marner was. Pettersson also doesn't take many draws and when he does he is under 50%. Marner is more complete at his position. 

You're trying to dig out weaknesses about Petey but I'm not sure why you're doing that.  Focus on strengths and I'm sure you can find some.  Petey can take over a game and doesn't back down.  He also doesn't fall much anymore...he had new skates/edges and it seemed to take him a bit to adjust to them.  When he started, yes...he did fall down a lot.  But guess what....that doesn't take him out of the play.  Have you seen some of the passes he's made WHILE falling?  Incredible.  Never seen anything like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, peaches5 said:

Pettersson needs to get a lot stronger on his skates. He falls down way too much. I believe he has improved on that this year but still Marner is a lot stronger on his skates. He played almost the entire year last year with Brock on his wing. So he didn't have terrible linemates, which some have alluded to. Marner has shown more consistency than Pettersson. Marner also came in from Junior and Petey came in from europe playing against men. Pettersson was better equipped to transition into the NHL game than Marner was. Pettersson also doesn't take many draws and when he does he is under 50%. Marner is more complete at his position. 

He does need to get stronger and he will.

EP is 1.5 yrs younger than Marner.

EP is a lot stronger this season than last season. As he grows older he'll get stronger every season. 

He's just in his 2nd season. Wait until he's 25. He'll be a Viking beast. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, peaches5 said:
  • Pettersson needs to get a lot stronger on his skates.
  • He falls down way too much.
  • Marner is a lot stronger on his skates.
  • Marner has shown more consistency than Pettersson.
  • Marner also came in from Junior and Petey came in from europe playing against men.
  • Pettersson also doesn't take many draws and when he does he is under 50%.
  • Marner is more complete at his position. 

I don't often to Canada's "Toronto's Sports Network" any longer as I haven't bothered updating their crap app on my phone but this looks cut/paste from every article there so I thought for a moment I mistakenly logged into TSN versus CDC.   

I think the only thing the TSN Peachy one forgot is he is nicely blowing smoke here on behalf of Marner.   

Marner is a member of the Leafs.   

That makes the Peachy one a Leaf Blower.

Honour, I rest my case.

80450524.jpg

11 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Sorry if this was posted before but found a video that aged really well..haha

A look back at people's reaction when Petey was drafted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o786aTfza_M

"oh Vancouver fans, I'm so sorry........"  :lol:

29 games into Vilardi's AHL career (all he has at pro level), Vilardi has 5 goals and is minus 7.   Elias on the other hand only has 49 goals, 118 points and is +12 at teh NHL level.    Canucks got absolutely screwed in this draft with this pick.   

Edited by Rob_Zepp
Added a video of his crappy first year....

15 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Does anybody else think EP’s hasn’t had as many jaw-dropping, highlight reel moments compared to last year?

He would regularly make like 3-5 Datsyuk-esque plays per game, finding ways to create space for himself. Maybe it’s a combination of things like him being a known commodity now and/or him pacing himself? Miller seems to have the duty of puck carrier on the line so that could be a factor as well. I just hope it wasn’t coached out of him, because he has such a deadly arsenal of skills, and it would be a shame to put that aside for the boring, grinding, NA style of hockey (which I believe is necessary for the playoffs but not the regular season per say).

Trying to go through 3-5 guys does look impressive, but does cause turnovers more often than not.  Plus torquing and twisting his body will also leave him vulnerable for a bad hit and/or injuries.  

If anything, he is just playing more efficiently.... perhaps saving all this tricks for the post-season.  

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're trying to dig out weaknesses about Petey but I'm not sure why you're doing that.  Focus on strengths and I'm sure you can find some.  Petey can take over a game and doesn't back down.  He also doesn't fall much anymore...he had new skates/edges and it seemed to take him a bit to adjust to them.  When he started, yes...he did fall down a lot.  But guess what....that doesn't take him out of the play.  Have you seen some of the passes he's made WHILE falling?  Incredible.  Never seen anything like it.

I'm digging? Did you read your own post? What I said are valid objective views of Pettersson. Which Marner does not have

Petey played less games but had more points than Marner in their respective first years at it.  

Petey also played on a team that was really hit with injuries, meaning all guys felt the impact of that and were a little worn down.  He did drop off...he was really targeted and had to adjust to the attention he was getting.  So look at the big picture (and who they play with as well).

Petey is better than Marner in my view...so it's subjective and really a matter of opinion at this point.  Petey's got fire and drive that goes beyond "scoring".  His defensive awareness, how little "ego" he carries around and how that shows in a selfless game that means he wants the "team" to do well...not just to pad his own stats.

You could find things that each guy is "better at"...so what is your "he's a better player" based on?  

I could make a lot of things up too, Deb. Doesn't make that player better. You could say the exact same things about Marner. What I said is factual there's nothing subjective about Pettersson being weak on his skates or his game dropping off. Saying oh injuries played a part in this and well people started targeting him is part of playing in the NHL. Henrik Sedin lost his Brother for the majority of the year and went on to have his best season ever. The Sedins were also known for being incredibly strong on their skates.

We aren't talking about the potential of each player but which player is better right now and Marner has shown consistency among all the other things which Pettersson has not. Pettersson has to get strong on his skates and the faceoff dot. Marner is being completely underrated here. 

On 1/31/2020 at 12:47 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha...pathetic responses from uninformed idiots that think they know more than JB.  God....

Every year it amazes me all the wannabe scouts out there who think they can look at central scoutings list and then determine the best picks... like holy hell if you don't watch the games how is your opinion valid!!! lol

• Haha 2

the thing is that elias is far from the puck and there wasnt any contact or "fight for the puck" when elias passed the puck against the boards. Then he skates for a sec or 2 and then looks over his shoulder to look after the puck and THEN he gets the hit. In the playoffs id say u have to be ready at all times but this just feels unnecesary due to the lack of contact or "fight" for puck or position. It just looks like a hit he was waiting to do when Elias wasnt ready. Pure intention to catch him off guard and inflict a "meaningful" impact. Id say we are lucky EP40 didnt get injured.  

If any Canucks player laid a late hit like that against a Bruin's star player, the Bruins would respond with major pushback and be all over the Canucks. Green can express his displeasure all he wants, but it falls on deaf ears. The Canucks have to stop believing that this is a fair league. If they want a Championship, they have to fight for it. Where was Bo, Alex and Chris? Did any of them urgently skate towards the refs and demand an explanation? Did any of them find Grzelcyk on the ice and give him a message? Doubt it. Same old, same old. What's the point in having a captain?

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If any Canucks player laid a late hit like that against a Bruin's star player, the Bruins would respond with major pushback and be all over the Canucks. Green can express his displeasure all he wants, but it falls on deaf ears. The Canucks have to stop believing that this is a fair league. If they want a Championship, they have to fight for it. Where was Bo, Alex and Chris? Did any of them urgently skate towards the refs and demand an explanation? Did any of them find Grzelcyk on the ice and give him a message? Doubt it. Same old, same old. What's the point in having a captain?

Kyle Clifford would be a useful teammate.  I fail to see why the Canucks won't get this type of player as the 13th forward for games like the Bruins etc.  They know this will happen yet fail to address it.  The playoffs will be worse.

• Like 1