The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Boeser has more elements to his game than his shot - that's just the standout attribute.  He's also sturdy on his feet, mobile, and isn't afraid to drive the net - all of which are clear.

Henrik isn't just a good passer either.  He's good at faceoffs, is hard to knock off the puck, leadership skills and also has an exceptionally high hockey IQ himself.  All of these other attributes are also clear.

My point being that in the highlights I've seen of Lind - he doesn't have many standout abilities.  Not to say that positioning and playmaking isn't an awesome talent to have but when facing NHL-class defensemen I am not sure it will translate to success.  It also means that unless he steps it up in another aspect of his game he is likely to require a certain kind of linemate; one who can finish the plays that he helps put together.  Since a center tends to be more of a playmaker himself, that means for him to be successful he most likely needs an elite LW scorer and aside from the potential of Dahlen I'm not sure we have anyone else in the system who is likely to fill that role.  

Don't get me wrong.  I like Lind quite a bit.  I've always been a huge fan of players who play a cerebral game.  I just hope he can hone another element or two to round out his game.

His drive, offensive instincts and the ability to be good at everything make him a very strong prospect and hopefully he can turn into a top 6 at some point. Confidence will come in time. 

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

His drive, offensive instincts and the ability to be good at everything make him a very strong prospect and hopefully he can turn into a top 6 at some point. Confidence will come in time. 

I hope so.  The amazing thing is that we're not relying on any one of our prospects to live up to their potential nearly as much as we have in the past.  I think we have plenty of prospects which WILL be NHL players at some point... ranging from 4th liners to potential 1st liners.  But with Boeser looking crazy good that goes a long ways to shoring up the elite talent we have been lacking.  If we hit on Dahlen and Pettersson, we're going to be golden in a 2-3 years.  So I'm not even concerned.... let Lind and the others develop naturally and show us what they can do.  Some will be studs and some will be duds but we're going to be just fine in the end.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Boeser has more elements to his game than his shot - that's just the standout attribute.  He's also sturdy on his feet, mobile, and isn't afraid to drive the net - all of which are clear.

Henrik isn't just a good passer either.  He's good at faceoffs, is hard to knock off the puck, leadership skills and also has an exceptionally high hockey IQ himself.  All of these other attributes are also clear.

My point being that in the highlights I've seen of Lind - he doesn't have many standout abilities.  Not to say that positioning and playmaking isn't an awesome talent to have but when facing NHL-class defensemen I am not sure it will translate to success.  It also means that unless he steps it up in another aspect of his game he is likely to require a certain kind of linemate; one who can finish the plays that he helps put together.  Since a center tends to be more of a playmaker himself, that means for him to be successful he most likely needs an elite LW scorer and aside from the potential of Dahlen I'm not sure we have anyone else in the system who is likely to fill that role.  

Don't get me wrong.  I like Lind quite a bit.  I've always been a huge fan of players who play a cerebral game.  I just hope he can hone another element or two to round out his game.

Pettersson is a C/LW. Baer and Granlund both have good hands and play the left side.  

On 2017-09-26 at 7:06 PM, BI3KSALLENT said:

Demko actually finished 9th out of 14 in rookie save %, and 8th in GAA, however he was 4th in gp out of rookie goalies. Of those 8 goalies who finished above him 6 played for a playoff team and only 2 played more games than him, and their numbers weren't too much better. Furthermore, 7 of those 8 goalies were older than him (mostly by 1-3 years). Lastly, Demko played for the worst finishing team out of all of them.  All in all I'd say Thatcher did extremely well considering the circumstances. 

Mic drop, take a bow KB3

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'm hopeful for Lind but I'm concerned that his point totals appear to be inflated by his positioning.

He is excellent at it.  He's a high IQ player and reads the play exceptionally well.  This is fantastic, and elite players almost always have this ability.

... But the elite players also usually have standout skill.  I'm just not generally impressed with the skillset ive seen so far.  He looks... "alright" in the highlights ive seen.  Doesn't seem to have high end skill in any area other than positioning.

When he moves into the pros where the defensemen are generally more aware and better positioned themselves, I'm interested to see how he will fare.

Have you ever heard of Rick Middleton?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh boy!  If Lind turns into the next Rick Middleton I'd be VERY HAPPY::D

Point is Alf

Middleton didn't exactly have any particular skill, other than he was nifty! LOL

Seriously, and I am preaching to the choir here, but Middleton didn't have a hard shot, wasn't very fast, wasn't very big, but was pretty smart (IQ), I think Lind has him covered by a large amount for his age.......sure its a wait and see, but its a good start! And then there was where he was ranked last year......the poster above isn't giving him much credit for anything..........I am excited about his vision, size and credentials.....I'll at least wait until the rest of the week is over!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Point is Alf

Middleton didn't exactly have any particular skill, other than he was nifty! LOL

Seriously, and I am preaching to the choir here, but Middleton didn't have a hard shot, wasn't very fast, wasn't very big, but was pretty smart (IQ), I think Lind has him covered by a large amount for his age.......sure its a wait and see, but its a good start! And then there was where he was ranked last year......the poster above isn't giving him much credit for anything..........I am excited about his vision, size and credentials.....I'll at least wait until the rest of the week is over!

I'm excited about the NHL player Lind could become too.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Have you ever heard of Rick Middleton?

Actually I hadn't but if you need to search back that many decades for a guy who was similar but went on to have a good career, that is kind of the point.  Its hard to be a high end player based on a limited skillset.  It isn't impossible, but hard.

Lind also obviously has time to improve.  I am sure he and the coaching staff are smart enough to work on areas where he isn't as strong. 

I'm not claiming he won't be a good player.  He may be a fantastic player since smarts is absolutely part of the equation.  In fact, if he can't hone elite skills elsewhere it may be what keeps him in the NHL.

I'm just of the mindset that he may have difficulty being a highly successful player unless he expands his toolbox.  

But its also possible that his positioning is so good that it will actually be good enough against NHL defenders too. 

Regardless, I'm keeping a close eye on him for sure and hope he doesn't face the struggles I am anticipating he may.

Edited by kloubek

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Actually I hadn't but if you need to search back that many decades for a guy who was similar but went on to have a good career, that is kind of the point.  Its hard to be a high end player based on a limited skillset.  It isn't impossible, but hard.

Lind also obviously has time to improve.  I am sure he and the coaching staff are smart enough to work on areas where he isn't as strong. 

I'm not claiming he won't be a good player... I'm just of the mindset that he is like many of our prospects.... Lots of potential, but hard to know if he will be able to put it all together.

Absolutely true......like every kid coming into the league......no doubt, but for his first pro summer camp. he showed great, and followed it up with a very good first week back in junior...........not an elite 17 year old, just a talented 18 year old that still needs to progress..........but I like what he brings to the table and where on the curve he is starting from.....that's all.................it will be fun to watch him develop...............and fingers crossed that he does a lot!

On 26/09/2017 at 8:43 AM, D-Money said:

Like I said, I'm not going to read into it, as adjustment periods are normal. However, I was hoping for better than 11th in save percentage among AHL rookie goaltenders. Maybe it was just me...

I watched pretty much every game he played and he carried that team on his shoulders.  They had no business even being in the playoff conversation had Demko not been almost unbeatable.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'm not claiming he won't be a good player.  He may be a fantastic player since smarts is absolutely part of the equation.  In fact, if he can't hone elite skills elsewhere it may be what keeps him in the NHL.

I'm just of the mindset that he may have difficulty being a highly successful player unless he expands his toolbox.  

But its also possible that his positioning is so good that it will actually be good enough against NHL defenders too. 

Regardless, I'm keeping a close eye on him for sure and hope he doesn't face the struggles I am anticipating he may.

Although I appreciate your opinion and understand where you coming from when you say the only thing "elite" about Lind is his hockey IQ . I just have a different take from what I've seen. Mind you my viewing experience was highlights, exhibition, and two or three Rockets games which is a limited sample size. I think Lind is good or great at everything, basically like a Swiss army knife with a brain. Having that IQ makes the other traits he has accentuated. I'd  be shocked if he doesn't become a middle 6 player although his ceiling could be a complimentary top line guy. I believe injuries are the only thing that could stop Lind from being an impactful NHL player. One thing I'm sure we can agree on. It sure will be nice following our prospects that have legitimate high ceilings. They very well could form our next core in a few years and I love building through the draft. I feel as fans were more attached and invested in our team when were growing from within.

I will admit I may have not had exposure to seeing Lind play as some of you.  All I've seen are highlights and nothing really stood out to me except for his being in the right place all the time. 

But again, I must point out that my concern isn't so much whether he can play in the NHL.... I think he can.  But more that everyone is getting all excited when I see a middle 6 ceiling for him.

Mind you, I'm the guy who felt Horvat was a high end 2nd liner when hes likely to be a low to mid end first liner, and also saw huge upside in Boeser but wasn't sure if he could translate his success against NHL class opponents.  I didn't think Stecher would break out like he did, thought Eriksson would be a strong contributor with the Sedins and I saw little upside in Granlund.  So really, nobody should be listening to what I have to say anyway.  :)

3 hours ago, ohmy said:

Although I appreciate your opinion and understand where you coming from when you say the only thing "elite" about Lind is his hockey IQ . I just have a different take from what I've seen. Mind you my viewing experience was highlights, exhibition, and two or three Rockets games which is a limited sample size. I think Lind is good or great at everything, basically like a Swiss army knife with a brain. Having that IQ makes the other traits he has accentuated. I'd  be shocked if he doesn't become a middle 6 player although his ceiling could be a complimentary top line guy. I believe injuries are the only thing that could stop Lind from being an impactful NHL player. One thing I'm sure we can agree on. It sure will be nice following our prospects that have legitimate high ceilings. They very well could form our next core in a few years and I love building through the draft. I feel as fans were more attached and invested in our team when were growing from within.

Definitely true.... And despite the negativity there tends to be around our soe of our prospects, its often only because the fans are rooting so hard for them. Just following the pages shows how much the fans loves our prospects. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I will admit I may have not had exposure to seeing Lind play as some of you.  All I've seen are highlights and nothing really stood out to me except for his being in the right place all the time. 

But again, I must point out that my concern isn't so much whether he can play in the NHL.... I think he can.  But more that everyone is getting all excited when I see a middle 6 ceiling for him.

Mind you, I'm the guy who felt Horvat was a high end 2nd liner when hes likely to be a low to mid end first liner, and also saw huge upside in Boeser but wasn't sure if he could translate his success against NHL class opponents.  I didn't think Stecher would break out like he did, thought Eriksson would be a strong contributor with the Sedins and I saw little upside in Granlund.  So really, nobody should be listening to what I have to say anyway.  :)

Unfortunately your history of misreads is very close to my own. Add me to your list of 'ignores'. :)