The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

22 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Valid points, and it would be miraculous if Allvin can move on from OEL and Myers.

Would be nice to build a D core based on analytics and scouting and not just Benning trading for or signing whoever wants to come here with a massive contract…

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would be nice to build a D core based on analytics and scouting and not just Benning trading for or signing whoever wants to come here with a massive contract…

A balance of old & new cause there is no way to quantify, a players character & fit to a given roster and coach - but good point cause there are a lot of teams, that are building up there analytics department but it still comes down to the GM: how he will interpret the information.  Preferably, the new regime will focus on drafting and (more importantly) development of prospects cause that is the cheapest & most sustainable way of developing a contender & culture - imo.

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

A balance of old & new cause there is no way to quantify, a players character & fit to a given roster and coach - but good point cause there are a lot of teams, that are building up there analytics department but it still comes down to the GM: how he will interpret the information.  Preferably, the new regime will focus on drafting and (more importantly) development of prospects cause that is the cheapest & most sustainable way of developing a contender & culture - imo.

Can’t deny the fact that 13 million of our D core are simply players that were just willing to come here and Benning wanting to make a splash though.

Not the best way to build a D core.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s funny. I watched a fair amount of Fox and Rathbone with Harvard and to my eyes, when you compared individual skill for skill, Rathbone had superior tools in many aspects. What separated Fox wasn’t any particular skill, but more the overall package, especially in terms of his play selection/decision making and just the quality and “smoothness” of his game. It was evident he was “better,” but hard to peg down exactly why. Just was abundantly clear in the eye test, even though Jack seemed to have a better shot, skate better, and, at the college level, anyway, he very often looked more defensively sound than Fox.

As for Rathbone’s future, I also see a top-4 NHL Dman. And I don’t think he necessarily doesn’t fit on a roster with Hughes and OEL. He just needs a more refined two-way game, so that he can thrive in 3rd pair minutes (which is where he’ll need to start out). I’d hope he’d eventually force OEL down to the third pair, which, if you ignore the salaries (and we’re going to have to), actually makes for a pretty nice left side D, possibly for as long as OEL’s remaining contract term.

Just a question about when you watched Harvard and compared Fox and Rathbone, were you comparing in Fox's last season, when Rathbone played or were you comparing them at the same age?  (Rathbone is 16 months younger, so it is a fair question, I hope? )

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Sid, you must have watched a fair bit of Reilly Walsh, as he was the RD player.  He looks like

he's close to making the jump to the Devils; maybe next season.  He is the same age as Jack

and believe there were top pairing in Uni.  What did you think of Walsh's game?

Then that Harvard D had Fox, Rathbone, Marino and Walsh that year. (I just noticed that Marino never played in the AHL)

• Cheers 1

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Hi Sid

Hey, are you a big college/NCAA watcher?

I would like to get your take on Rathbone, and Faber's , 19 year old seasons............

By my count

Rahbone's 19 year season was..............32 games.....22 pts..........+13............................5'11".....190

Faber's 19 year season (this year)..........32 games.....14 pts..........+ 8.............................6'0"......190

Yet, Hockey Writers have Rathbone at 60, and Faber at 46 in the Best 100 drafted prospect not in the NHL.

I seen another one somewhere, where Rathbone was around 52? and Faber around 40...I can't remember the agency?

But I am just wondering about your take on this? @HighOnHockey if you want to jump in on this, I would love to hear you take as well.

Actually.........anyone, would be great............Thanks!

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Hi Sid

Hey, are you a big college/NCAA watcher?

I would like to get your take on Rathbone, and Faber's , 19 year old seasons............

By my count

Rahbone's 19 year season was..............32 games.....22 pts..........+13............................5'11".....190

Faber's 19 year season (this year)..........32 games.....14 pts..........+ 8.............................6'0"......190

Yet, Hockey Writers have Rathbone at 60, and Faber at 46 in the Best 100 drafted prospect not in the NHL.

I seen another one somewhere, where Rathbone was around 52? and Faber around 40...I can't remember the agency?

But I am just wondering about your take on this? @HighOnHockey if you want to jump in on this, I would love to hear you take as well.

Actually.........anyone, would be great............Thanks!

Well, it is no secret Rathbone is a little bit one-dimensional, and Brock Faber is a much better two-way defenseman relative to age and stage of development. Faber was the number one D for USA's Olympic team.

That said, what Rathbone is doing in AHL this year is &^@#ing unreal. Looking at the numbers over the past 20 years by U23 defensemen in the AHL, normally I use a 10 game minimum threshold, but Klingberg had 12 in 10. Ryan Whitney 14 in 9. If we ignore those and just look at guys who played a "full season" of 30 plus games, the only better p/g was Justin Schultz, and that was the lockout year when he should have never been there and Eberle and Hall were there with him.

I've told you about what a drivelling Brock Faber fan I am, but it's tough to know how to compare guys at such different stages in their development. Clearly Rathbone's offensive upside is through the roof, but the argument would be that Faber is the safer prospect. But at this point, at 22 and doing what he's doing as a rookie to the AHL, I think its pretty damn safe to say Rathbone is going to be a very good NHL defenseman. How good will depend on how well he can figure out the defensive side of the game at the NHL level.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is a third pair of Bone and Dermott a good idea?  

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Bone Dermott

Are we better than now?  

I think that is better than now yeah. Excited to see what Bone can do and a 3rd pairing role doesn't put too much pressure on him. However, he excels offensively from what we've seen, so gotta make sure to give him some half decent deployment also. 

As others have said if we can sign a RHD in free agency (while being careful of the term and price) it would be great to upgrade on Schenn. Love him (unsung hero in my mind this season), but we need a better Dman to play on that top pairing with Hughes. 

46 minutes ago, True Comfort said:

I like Meyers, but I'm hoping for this:

1st pair - Hughes and new trade acquisition

2nd pair - OEL and Dermott

3rd pair - Bones and Schenn

Is Dermott a keeper ? we'r trying to upgrade the D not remain status quo

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

do ppl like klingberg- big, plays the right side, great offence, is he good on D? He's Swedish he will fit right in? physical? He is 29 and coming off a cap hit of 4.25

He's been reportedly asking for upwards of 8 million per year on a long term deal. No thanks.

50 minutes ago, Stech said:

He's been reportedly asking for upwards of 8 million per year on a long term deal. No thanks.

What’s wrong with having 30 million going towards our top 4?

We can always just have Chiasson and Highmore play in our top 6…

22 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

do ppl like klingberg- big, plays the right side, great offence, is he good on D? He's Swedish he will fit right in? physical? He is 29 and coming off a cap hit of 4.25

Not the D type we need, too old, too expensive.

No thanks.

We need to move Miller and one of Boeser/Garland for some younger guys like Marino. If we can also move out Myers, maybe the younger, cheaper, better defensively (if less well rounded) Lyubushkin.

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, it is no secret Rathbone is a little bit one-dimensional, and Brock Faber is a much better two-way defenseman relative to age and stage of development. Faber was the number one D for USA's Olympic team.

That said, what Rathbone is doing in AHL this year is &^@#ing unreal. Looking at the numbers over the past 20 years by U23 defensemen in the AHL, normally I use a 10 game minimum threshold, but Klingberg had 12 in 10. Ryan Whitney 14 in 9. If we ignore those and just look at guys who played a "full season" of 30 plus games, the only better p/g was Justin Schultz, and that was the lockout year when he should have never been there and Eberle and Hall were there with him.

I've told you about what a drivelling Brock Faber fan I am, but it's tough to know how to compare guys at such different stages in their development. Clearly Rathbone's offensive upside is through the roof, but the argument would be that Faber is the safer prospect. But at this point, at 22 and doing what he's doing as a rookie to the AHL, I think its pretty damn safe to say Rathbone is going to be a very good NHL defenseman. How good will depend on how well he can figure out the defensive side of the game at the NHL level.

Ok, Sid...........Don't get me wrong, I am asking, because I don't know, and I trust your opinion immensely, so please excuse my ignorance.........it is not directed at you.........but!

I do not attune to the political game of Hockey Canada or Hockey USA. Faber may be the second coming of Doug Harvey, but as I pointed out in my last post...........comparing

Rathbones and Faber's 19 year old season's, Rathbone beat Faber in every category, that I could find. The biggest problem I think Rathbone faced with Hockey USA, was that

he took that year off (rather USHS-Prep). In my opinion, it really hurt his rep with USA hockey.

Like I say, and I will say it again...........Rathbones draft +2 numbers were better than Fabers.....................what I am I missing? Was Faber on a weaker NCAA team? Or was

Rathbone on a stronger one? If memory serves me, when Fox was injured that year, Rathbone took over and very well, in Fox's absence. I just can not seem to get away from

the 19 year comparisons? 

Please do not get me wrong.....I am just a little confused ? I would also point again, how close the 2 are in rankings of players outside the NHL.................

So......I will leave you with my additional thoughts, and hope you feel inclined to answer my friendly challenge? :frantic: