The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched him a little this season, but I liked what I saw. He is tenacious, forechecks hard, is strong on the puck, goes to dirty areas and makes things happen. He could be well suited for North American ice and style. 

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not bad stats. I'm hoping he could become a good, effective 3rd or 4th line guy for us in a year or two.

Hard for a guy his size to excel in a third/fourth line role. In my mind he needs to be a second liner to succeed. But who knows, the games changing all the time.

34 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hard for a guy his size to excel in a third/fourth line role. In my mind he needs to be a second liner to succeed. But who knows, the games changing all the time.

2 words. Brendan Gallagher.

Realistically Palmu is a long shot to make the NHL. But in my opinion best case scenerio for his development is a Gallagher type player. Someone with some offensive skill but overall uses his tenacious play and can do attitude to simply put will the opposition. A high that can bounce up and down the lineup. I hope he makes it, I actually really like this kid and was stoked when we took a flyer on him.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Realistically Palmu is a long shot to make the NHL. But in my opinion best case scenerio for his development is a Gallagher type player. Someone with some offensive skill but overall uses his tenacious play and can do attitude to simply put will the opposition. A high that can bounce up and down the lineup. I hope he makes it, I actually really like this kid and was stoked when we took a flyer on him.

I agree. I've been keeping tabs on him all year. I dont think I've ever had interest in a  player picked soo late in the draft but I hope he develops into a solid player for us oneday.

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Paul Byron is a bottom 6 forward who has found success with his size, Palmu is a bit smaller but has more mass to him also. The question is can Palmu play a solid defensive game and warrant PK time. Which is usually needed from bottom 6 players

10 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Assuming he turns out (which is a long shot), him on a future 3rd line with say Gaudette and Virtanen could be fun.

Something like:

____, Petterson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Lind

Palmu, Gaudette, Virtanen

Edited by aGENT

13 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Agree on long-shot.  Would add a very, very long-shot actually.

Difference is that BG played a high skill game mixed with tenacity and absolute S#*% Disturbing qualities throughout his WHL days. 

I don't see Palmu being that type of player at the pro-level imo whereas you couldn't envision BG being anything but a S-Disturber if he was ever going to make the NHL. 

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Palmu with two goals so far today, his 12th and 13th of the season. Third period just started, TPS vs Lukko.

Both on the PP today as well.
Is there a site out there that tracks how much of his points came on the PP/ ES? It would be interesting to take a look at.

I am betting he will be a good NHL player in the future. Because of his size it takes him a little more time to adapt and feel comfortable playing. It will get easier when he gets his feet wet at any level he plays at. He won't come out guns a blazing but will start putting up solid points when he gains a level of comfort. Expect 15 to 20 games in AHL before we see that about him.